- advertisement -

Typing programs for kids

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Beach bum, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We are now getting to the point where more and more projects are needing to be typed. We need to bring their speed and accuracy up (auto correct is great, but I want them to be able to manage a few full sentences without errors. My kids have used Type to Learn through school, but I'm not happy with the performance of it on the home computer, plus they've used it so much it no longer appeals to them. Short of me conducting an old fashioned typing test (LOL, I told them I learned on a manual typewriter...what's a typewriter?:D), can anyone suggest a program? I'm liking what I see about the Typing Instructor for Kids. Has anyone used this?

2. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I had bought DD a Spongebob typing disc at ToysRUs years ago. It was really cute and fun. It used little competitions to teach which suited DD's competitive personality perfectly. It did not take her long at all to learn to type. You can probably get it free online now. A lot more fun than my Grade 9 teacher's a;sldkfjgh......

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We've used Mavis Beacon and liked it. It's available via amazon as a download or software.

4. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I like typeracer. It doesn't let you go forward with mistakes.

6. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

We have Mavis Beacon. That's not too bad. DS also used www.freetypinggame.net at school. He enjoyed that one. He had to learn to type for his computer class.

7. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I was going to say freetypinggames.net, too. My husband and I used to try and out do each other. :D It's a good way to make typing practice fun.