- advertisement -

Type 2 is a REAL disease

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Lee, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Lee

Lee Approved members

Please remember that...

There are folks on this board who have T2, there are people here who have loved ones with T2, there are people here who have never, ever done anything to deserve the disease they have, and please, remember that there are people, like myself, who lost someone close to them due to T2.

It is not a joke, it is not self inflicted, and it does not deserve to be ridiculed.

(Thank you - stepping off my soap box)

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

3. Ali

Ali Approved members

4. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

amen to that!

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I agree. I wish that the rest of the world would look at a serious dx. So many people could benifit from proper dx and treatments.

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

It's been really eating at me the posts that are "THEY brought it upon themselves an WE couldn't help it."

Life isn't simple ....

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

Such an important thread. Thank you. I am sorry for your loss.

8. sooz

sooz Approved members

9. smcnair

smcnair Approved members

If it is my post that offended you then I am sorry. I too know many people with Type 2, and it wasn't my intention to ridicule or make fun of Type 2 diabetics. It was one person in particular that I was referring to, not to Type 2 in general.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Emm, great blog.

And Lee, nor should the person ever be made to feel ashamed of having T2. No one ever asked to have T1, nor did the people with T2. Luckily, there are ways to help both types, either be it insulin, meds, diet. I think what all those battling diabetes needs is support and positive words from all. Who knows, one day we could be in the T2 category ourselves...

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Thank you for this, Becky.

People with Type 2 are not at fault for the confusion between Type 1 and Type 2. And NEITHER are caused by eating too much sugar.

They are both terrible diseases, and it doesn't help our kids to spread misinformation and bigotry about Type 2.

12. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I wish T2s would never think that they brought it on themselves and therefor "deserve" what they got. The fact is, even if you could have prevented it, even if for someone it IS "self-inflicted," does that mean you don't deserve help?! Suicide is self inflicted, do ppl with psych or emotional problems not deserve help and compassion. Falling off your roof is self-infliceted, so do you not deserve to go to the ER b/c it was "your own fault"? I wish we could all do everything "right" all the time but I've been struggling with my weight for 30+ years (and I'm only 41!). Believe me, no one is more miserable about my wieght than me, no one has suffered more b/c of my wieght than me, so do I get no sympathy, no understanding, b/c I'm 40 lbs overweight? I don't have T2. But someday I might. And I want to extend the compassion now that I hope I get if I ever need it.

I remember when my mil died of lung cancer. So many pointed out the 40 yrs of smoking she did. That did NOT help our family in our greiving.

13. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Oh, Emma, i just love your blog. I'm always so impressed with you and I'm so proud of you--I think we all feel motherly toward you. :) I really hope my little girl turns into such a fine young woman.

OK, that was OT, but still. :D

14. Lee

Lee Approved members

No - it really was just an accumulation of posts lately on here bashing T2; but piabetes put me over the top.

15. Mish

Mish Approved members

wait, pi-abetes is when you like math AND have diabetes. I think the disgusting term was pie-abetes. :p Which I guess no one can complain when someone in comes home from school and says "johnny told me I'm going to DIE from DIE-abetes." because children learn what they live.

16. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

Agreed!!

Absolutely! Easing his own pain by mocking and belittling someone else's is not how I want my child to live!:(

Christine

17. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Recently one of my old neighbours passed away from something which can be described as self-inflicted. I mentioned his death to someone and that person said "Well, what did you expect? It was his own fault." I was saddened because it was the loss of a very dear and sweet person I was grieving for. I don't care whether he could have prevented it or not. He suffered extremely from it, and his death meant a wife without her husband and daughters without her dad and friends without their friend.:(

In any case, this thread reminded me of the above. Whether T2 D is one's own fault or not (in my mind, the whole families of Diabetes is still a mystery in so many ways), it's never right to belittle the daily struggles of someone dealing with it. Just as we don't like when we hear "Oh, so you fed him Coke bottles as a baby?", so those living with Type 2 Diabetes don't need to hear they may have caused their own disease. We don't know their family history, their genetic makeup. All we know is they're human beings who need understanding.