- advertisement -

Type 1 Teen and Seizure

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jdr, Apr 6, 2011.

1. MegaPug

MegaPug Approved members

It's possible that they were playing a game that they thought was innocent enough at the time, but then became scared of getting into trouble after what happened to your son. If it were me, I'd invite at least one of them over and reassure them that you will not be angry if something like that was going on, but that it is extremely important for you to know because it could help determine if there is something more serious taking place. Basically, make them feel safe about talking about it. It also wouldn't hurt to reassure their parents of the same thing and for them to please try to get the exact details of the events leading up to the incident out of their boys.

My non-D son is 14 and I wouldn't rest until I got the full story from him if something like this happened to one of his friends. He's been witness to other traumatic events and immediately described the situation (he couldn't not). I could understand some kids being too traumatized to talk about it, but all of them seems a bit fishy to me. I'm sure these are good kids and it may be all the more reason for them to fear they are somehow responsible. Heck, even we parents can feel guilty for something completely beyond our control, so it stands to reason teenage boys do too.

I don't know, I'm just throwing things out there that may be helpful. I pray that you find out exactly what happened, particularly if this was due to a rapid drop in blood sugar, another treatable medical condition, or a one off thing. From one mom to another... (((hugs)))

2. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry and that sounds very, very scary. I hope you get some answers on what happened.

3. Kazee6

Kazee6 Approved members

While neither of my D sons are teenagers, my oldest son has a history of D related seizures. Those that he has had while awake were very similar to what you have described. He would be talking and laughing and the next minute be on the floor. I would try to talk to the friends again and then get him an appt with his Endo.

4. jdr

jdr Approved members

While neither of my D sons are teenagers, my oldest son has a history of D related seizures. Those that he has had while awake were very similar to what you have described. He would be talking and laughing and the next minute be on the floor. I would try to talk to the friends again and then get him an appt with his Endo.[/QUOTE

Did the endo tell you what he/she thought may have happened that caused the D related seizures?

5. MegaPug

MegaPug Approved members

Oh, I forgot to ask...

Did they happen to do an EKG? I passed out cold from a drop in blood pressure and I only have a very vague recollection of it. My family was home (thank God), and my pulse became rapid later at the hospital plus I was confused. Only the EKG showed an anomaly which was later explored with a full cardiac workup which came back normal. It was just a fluke, but it scared everyone half to death, especially since I have MS.

6. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

So sorry. It is not a great feeling to get that phone call.

I echo others that a complete follow-up by endo and/or neurologist is in order.

I have a non-D son that had a seizure following a basketball game. He had an EEG and an EKG. He was referred to a pedi-cardiologist due to the heart rate. He passed a stress test which the pedi-cardiologist would only do at the hospital due to the previous seizure. The episode has never repeated itself.

HOWEVER, if he drinks an energy drink, he becomes symptomatic (dizzy, "out of it", etc).

I had to take a young teenager to the hospital a few months ago. He came by to visit my son and began throwing up and talking weird and incoherent. It turns out that he had an energy drink prior to driving to our house. The nurse in the ER said that they get lots of teens in the ER that have had a reaction to energy drinks.

7. Kazee6

Kazee6 Approved members

Wyatt's have always been directly related to his D. Tests have shown no other reason for his seizures.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

Are you able to determine whether he had any bolus/correction insulin on board at that time?

You should be able to get from the pump and his meter the history of that evening. I would go back to 6 pm..

9. jdr

jdr Approved members

Hey Wilf, this is Joey. I do know that we had pod change around 7pm gave 1 unit as we always do. Then his bg was 84 at 8:30 pm. Around 9:30pm he bolused for a Blue Mt dew 40 carbs. Then around 10:45 is when it happen.

10. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Does he regularly bolus soda? I find pure sugar drinks to be tricky to bolus for because they're in and out so quickly (in our experience; this is why we stick with diet).

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

I wonder if he forgot to drink the soda with all the fun they were having, or got handed a diet one instead?

12. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I am sorry your son had to go through that. Seizures indeed can be very scary not only for the person who experiences them but for those who see it happening. I definitely would get to the bottom of it. It could very well have been a rebound from an untreated low but I would still have the tests run just in case something else is going on. Also the fact that the boys say they can't talk about it raises a red flag in my mind. If they were doing something they shouldn't have been doing I hope this will be a lesson for them not to try that again.

13. jdr

jdr Approved members

I agree they can be tricky. He drinks diet most of the time,but does drink a energy drink or regular soda now and then with no problems in the past.

14. jdr

jdr Approved members

This is one of the first questions I ask him. He says he did drink it. It was a MT Dew Voltage. I had never heard of this soda before.

15. jdr

jdr Approved members

BTW This is me Joey again. I spoke with the boy who's house they were all at. He told me that they were all sitting around joking then all of the sudden Jesse started making some strange noises and then slumped over. He ask if he was ok and Jesse told him no that he need an ambulance because he felt like he was dying. He said they all thought Jesse was joking at first. Then Jesse went totally out with his eyes closed, wakes up and starts crawling toward the door. He also said that Jess's face was very pale.

16. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Make sure that the follow up doctor knows that he drank a Mountain Dew Voltage.

It really looks like caffeine contributed to this episode.

Info I found through google...

Mountain Dew Voltage Review: Kick
    The energy ingredients seem to be almost identical to your normal everyday Dew. In a 20 ounce bottle you get about 90 milligrams of caffeine (more than Red Bull) as well as some Ginseng. So basically it is the original formula with a little added ginseng. Now it doesn't compare to a lot of today's energy drinks, but Voltage still packs 90 milligrams of caffeine, which is very similar to Red Bull (minus the taurine, b-vitamins)... so the kick is still noteworthy, especially when compared on price. Kick Rating - 7.0

A Coca-Cola (diet or regular) 12 ounce can has around 45mg of caffeine; Pepsi has 38mg.

17. jdr

jdr Approved members

I read this as well. Only thing is he has drank Monster drinks several times in the with no problems. Not sure if he has ever had a Voltage though.