- advertisement -

Type 1 Teen and Seizure

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jdr, Apr 6, 2011.

1. jdr

jdr Approved members

We got a call on Friday night approx 11:15pm from the hospital in our area, the nurse on the other end said that our son, Jesse (15 yrs old) had been brought in by ambulance and was unresponsive & incoherent. When we got to the hospital he was still incoherent, throwing up and his heart rate was 140 beats per minute. We tried to get the series of events that lead to the ER visit from his friends, which were not able to talk about it. We did get that they were sitting at the kitchen table telling jokes, Jess stood up and said he wasn't feeling well, made a couple of sounds and hit the floor, said he felt like he was dying, and then became unresponsive & incoherent at that time. His blood glucose level was 185 when the ambulance arrived, and when check at the hospital is was 135. The doctor feels as if it wasn't T1 related. Took Jess to the dr on Monday, the dr is almost positive that it was a seizure, not related to T1. We have not seen his endo yet, he has an appt in May.
    Has anyone ever had this happen to their T1 teen? Was it ever diagnosed properly?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Why can't the boys talk about it? I've never heard of this happening before. Just because his bg wasn't low at the time of testing doesn't mean it wasn't low before. I assume these friends know that he has type 1, did they think to test him.. and non of the boys thought to call you after they called 911?

3. jdr

jdr Approved members

These freinds have been around him since he was diagnosed at the age of 10, they know he has T1 diabeties. I think this was a traumatic experience for them and they aren't ready to discuss it yet. Jess has never had such an episode.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

What happened between the time he hit the floor and the time the ambulance arrived? Was he given Glucagon or other type of glucose?

5. jdr

jdr Approved members

No glucagon or glucose at all.
    Is it possible that his blood glucose dropped and came back up without treatment?

6. ShelbysMom

ShelbysMom Approved members

Wow, I'm sure that was terrifying for all involved. Sorry I don't have any kind of experience with this, but just wanted to tell you that I really hope you can get to the bottom of this soon.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Are you sure that the other boys aren't keeping some facts from you on purpose? It just seems odd that they would all be traumatized into silence. Could they possibly have been drinking? or using drugs?

8. Flutterby

I understand that, but this is important and they need to let you know exactly what happened.

9. Christopher

It is possible, but there is no way of knowing. I agree with Sarah, I would try to get to the bottom of what exactly happened here. From my experience, it takes a lot to "traumatize" a teen boy.

10. jdr

jdr Approved members

The hospital did a complete tox screen, no drugs or alcohol of any sort. These are very intelligent boys, drugs or alcohol were not involved. We have actually only been able to talk to one of the boys, he is very close to my son and my family, I think it was just a traumatic experience for him and he isn't ready to talk about it. My son doesn't remember anything that happened at all.

11. jdr

jdr Approved members

BTW -
    I am signed on under my husbands name(Joey) and password-
    My name is Jennifer or Jess's mom.

I will get to the bottom of what took place, but wandering if anyone has had this experience with their T1 child.

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

13. jdr

jdr Approved members

Can you give me information on the events leading up to the seizure while rebounding?

14. jdr

jdr Approved members

Is it possible that his glucose level could have dropped causing the seizure, but go back up on its own without treatment?

15. Flutterby

Yes, that is completely possible.

16. Christopher

Yes it is possible. But all any of us can do is speculate. Since his bg was not taken at the time of the event, no one will ever know. I hope you get some information from Becky and others here who have experience with seizures. Good luck...

17. caspi

caspi Approved members

As much as we would all expect people to spring into action to help when something like this occurs, I can see how these boys were frightened and probably froze. We live with the knowledge that it's possible that this could happen to our children and (hopefully) are prepared to do something should this happen. However, that's not always the case when our kids are not with us. My son once witnessed a classmate having a seizure and the boy fell to the ground. The rest of the kids ran away in fear. My son ran to the teacher for help. I'd like to think he would have done that anyway, but I honestly believe it's because he knows what to do in these types of situations because we have taught him.

To the OP, has your endo had a chance to review your son's records? The good news is that the tox screen came back clean. Maybe in the coming days more information will come to light from either the boys that were there or perhaps your son will remember more.

I'm glad he's okay! :cwds:

18. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

I don't have anything to offer, but want to let you know I'll be thinking of your family and hope you can get to the bottom to things so you don't have anything like it ever happen again. Please update if you can when you know more.

19. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

Maybe I do have one for you....I recall one of our local HS teens whose mom I knew from gym (her DD was in gym with my DD) had been taken to the hospital unresponsive. No prior history of anything. They learned the kids were playing a game of holding their breath. Her son was okay, but the hospital staff told them they had had other kids that weren't so lucky because of O2 deprivation...

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

She was sleeping - so no real events. She has had a few - 3 confirmed, 1 iffy - all overnight.

And yes - his blood sugar can go up after a seizure. A rebound is the body's natural defense and it dumps the glucogen from the liver. This will raise the body 7 to 8 times the blood sugar that triggered it - so if he tested at 185, he could have been between 23 - 26...