- advertisement -

Type 1 parents of Type 1 kids

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wkat, Jan 23, 2008.

1. wkat

wkat Approved members

Does anyone know of any websites or forums for parents who grew up with T1 and now have kids with it? I'm often thinking about the comparisons between when I was young and now and the way things have changed over the yearss. Are there any T1 parents on here who had it as a child?

Wendy

2. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Wendy,

I'm happy to create a new section here if there's enough interest.

3. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Wendy, My DH has type 1 (since 6yrs old)

There are quite a few parents with type 1 and spouses of people with type 1 here with kids with type 1.

4. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

I'm one of those. I'd love a section for parents & kids both with T1. Keep me posted!

5. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

My dh has been living with type 1 since he was 9. It's killing him inside that our daughter now has to deal with it. (was dx'd with it 18 days ago).

I think it would help him to read he's not the only one. People keep saying things to him like "you must really feel like crap giving this to her". I wish those people could trade places with him for just one day...

6. BlessedIAm

BlessedIAm Approved members

My DH is type 1 too!

SandysMom- Wow....what an insensitive thing being said to your DH. :( Unfortunately, it probably won't be the last. ((HUGS))

7. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

Oh Sandy's Mom, I'm so sorry they've said that to your dh. Please reassure him for us that he did NOT give D to his dd. Our kiddos only have a slight increase in risk over the general population. People who think like that would want to have all diabetics involuntarily sterlized....

8. wkat

wkat Approved members

Oh. My. Goodness. Of course your husband feels like crap, but people are so stupid to assume that he should be feeling this way, b/c he shouldn't. I assume they're trying to be helpful or empathic or something, but it's just moronic. I can't tell you of the crushing inexplicable guilt I felt for some months when I found out my son was positive for three antibodies. It's mostly gone now. My son may end up with some other condition from my side of the family that I don't have, but have passed on through genes. My son is also a wonderful person and will be okay. Have your husband tell people that he was given a 7% chance of passing it on, or whatever it was. The chances that a woman will have breast cancer sometime in her life are around 20/25% from what I've read. Perhaps we should stop procreating. Hang in there. Sending good thoughts to your husband.

Wendy
    T1 33 years
    4 y.o dxed early onset T1

9. wkat

wkat Approved members

Thanks, Jeff. It doesn't sound like there are that many people interested. I guess the couple of us who are could email offline.

Wendy