- advertisement -

Type 1 Diabetes Primarily Genetic?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Danielle2008, Mar 12, 2009.

1. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

My guess though is that you were carrying a recesent gene because your daughter got it. Just a thought

2. JacksonsMom

This is what I think as well. I think genetics has the biggest part to play and then an illness or trigger brings out those antibodies that attack the pancreas or in something else in the case of another autoimmune disease.

My dad had type 1. Skipped me. My husbands mother has: Chrones(sp), r athritis and I think 1 more autoimmune.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  3. khannen

khannen Approved members

My father and his identical twin brother have both been T1 for over 50 years. Dad was dxd at age 3 and then his twin followed within just a few months I believe. Apparently, back then, the drs kept saying to their mother that it couldn't be Diabetes again because 'T1 wasn't genetic'. Heh.. really?? Their baby sister never even showed signs of it

4. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

This is very interesting to me. There is no diabetes anywhere on my husband's side of the family. My dad had a first cousin who died in her 30's from type 1. My mom's first cousin has a grandchild with type 1. So, very remotely, on both sides of my mom and dad's family, there is type 1. Nowhere on my husband's. The interesting thing is that no one can really say that it didn't come from "my side" because before 1930's people just got the "wasting disease" and they died. If it was my grandmother, she would have died. So, there are many of us who cannot claim they don't have a "genetic link". Also, cancer is another disease in which the immune system goes "haywire". I wonder if there are some people who get cancer, some get diabetes, some get crohn's, some get RA, etc. depending on the time and the trigger. It's all very interesting. I feel like (as many parents of more than 1 child in their family diagnosed) that I have to find out. The doctors told me that the chance of having a sibling diagnosed was extremely rare. I guess that means very little to me now. I want answers before my children have children.

5. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

None of us can truly 100% say that we have no type 1 in our genetics. 150 years ago does your family tree say what every child died from? even 100 years ago a lot of children died young from "failure to thrive" which is a pretty wide term for they just died. As far as I know, we have no known type 1 but I do know that my great grandmother had a set of twins that died a few months after birth from "failure to thrive" and I remember my grandma talking about how they just wasted away no matter how much they ate and just died one night, first one and then a few weeks later another.

6. JacksonsMom

The day of dx Jackson's doc explained to us that genetically if you have type 1 it can be triggered not only by having a family member along the way of having type 1 but by having family members who have any type of autoimmune disease. For me I really believe that this is the connection, therefore a lot of people are going "we don't have any family with type 1" however if you look at family lineage chances are there are members who have some other type of auto immune that could have passed down the genetic genes.

7. JacksonsMom

Oh one other thing, our doc said that Jackson's brothers chance of getting D jumped to 1 in 20 after Jackson's dx (I don't remember what % that was up from but it was significant!)

8. AmberO

AmberO Approved members

I know I am a carrier. The gene study showed that I had the exact same markers for D that my sister had. So why did it not trigger in me and only her. That is the big question. My brother has 4 markers, and they were a bit different from ours. My parents showed they were both carriers so to speak.

Unfortunately it's too late to do any further studies between my sister and I, but I would jump on any chance if any were offered for further studies on me, and my family.

9. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I think that is the one issue with D. Type 1 can start at any age. I believe the oldest I heard of was 80. I do know recently a 60+ year old was diagnosed at my center.

So just because one doesn't have Type 1 today, does not mean they never will.

Why does someone get T1 at 12 months, another at 14 years, another at 37 years, another at 52 and so on?

10. JacksonsMom

That is a really good question! It would be great to know why that is!