- advertisement -

Type 1 B -- what do you guys know about this?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by aidensmom, Sep 15, 2009.

1. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

My friend's son was dx'd in March and this is what they have labeled him with. It seems that he is constantly having lows and the endo doesn't seem to be very familier with it either. He does not take Lantus and even without insulin is still sometimes having lows. She said in 6 months with D they've never seen a BG over 280. I was thinking maybe it was just the honeymoon stage, but since this is so different than what we experienced I'd like to learn more if you guys can help. I was just wondering if anyone here might know something or have a child that has been diagnosed with this type of D.

Thanks!:cwds:

2. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

That really sounds like my honeymoon. I didn't take insulin for 1.5 years, and I was mostly low, but...basically it's a type of diabetes where the need for insulin is usually low. You also don't have any (or most likely don't have) antibodies. What ethnic background are they?:confused:

3. aidensmom

You're absolutely right -- no antibodies. They are white Americans.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

This is from the book "The Everything diabetes book" written by Paula Ford-Martin with Ian Blumer

"Type 1B diabetes is also referred to as idiopathic diabetes or diabetes of unknown orgin. This form of type 1 diabetes is not autoimmune in nature, and tests for islet cell antibodies will come up negative. People with type 1B have an insulin deficiency and can experience ketoacidosis, but their need for insulin injections typically waxes and wanes over time. Patients of African, Hispanic, or Asian descent are more likely to develop type 1B diabetes"

5. Andrew's Mom

Andrew's Mom Approved members

This sounds like Andrew we have never seen anything over 300 and usually we stay in the 80-180 range. His TDD is around 4 to 4.5 U daily. Its been 2 years and we have only had a handful of lows that would be the only difference. He also tested negative for antibodies. Interesting.

Cathy

6. aidensmom

Thanks! I was talking with my friend this evening and the thing that is so frustrating for her is that it seems that no one, including the endo know much about this condition. She said that the endo even said that he'd refer her to somewhere else if he thought someone knew more, but acts like this is just a very rare thing.

7. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

my neighbor was labeled at that for a long time, just this past year they changed the name of the official dx to neonatal diabetes--she's 13 now and just got this dx, although has had d off and on since birth

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

2 questions - have they tested him for antibodies? if he has them, then he does NOT have 1b
    and have they checked his c-peptide?

It sounds like they just tossed 1b at him without really knowing. Sounds like he's honeymooning to me.

9. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

Morgan's endo. told me that type 1b is just what drs use when they can't figure out exactly what other type it is. I asked if Morgan might have this and she said it is possible, but couldn't say for sure. It is interesting to me though, since Morgan has not required any insulin since June. For the whole previous year he was receiving just the tiniest daily dose, 2 units levemir, and we thought he was very strongly honeymooning. That is still a possibility. Even though he is on no insulin he has had a couple of mild lows, in the 70's, which isn't bad. He has tested negative to the antibodies, too. His last c-peptide was normal.

10. aidensmom

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

12. aidensmom

13. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Why wouldn't this just be considered hypoglycemia? That is what it sounds like to me.

14. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members