- advertisement -

Type 1 and influenza, who has dealt with this?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by liasmommy2000, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

I am happy to report

I'm sure your child is feeling betetr by now but we just successfully navigated the flu and stayed out of the hospital! Once we verified it was the actual flu, we were so nervous we would end up there but after several days of keytones, a little vomitting, and a LOT of Gatorade, we made it. We were so relieved. She had a virus last year around this time and ended up in the hospital and the year before she was diagnosed when I took her to the doc for walking peumonia. I was starting to worry we would end up in the hospital every year!

2. moco89

moco89 Approved members

YDMV, but if the child cannot keep fluids down at all, then obviously you are going to have to go to the hospital. Always be in contact with the endo, especially if your child is newly diagnosed.

I have never ended up with the Flu, but I cannot get a flu shot because of a neurological autoimmune disease that I have. Also, I basically have to go to the hospital every time I have a fever, because I have a couple of central lines (more permanent IVs) in me, which are an infection risk (and have to go when I have an infection, of any sort).

3. bleaton

bleaton Approved members

I have two kiddos with type I. Both have had two different stomach viruses in February. My daughter made it through without an ER visit. Tiny little sips of water to start off with to see if she could keep it down. Progress to little sips of apple juice after that to keep her sugar up.

My son on the other hand was not so lucky. He vomited at least 8-10 times over the course of 60-90 minutes. He couldn't keep any fluids in him....not even water. Ended up in the ER with dehydration and beginning stages of DKA. Spent an entire day in the ER but was finally released.

Best of luck to you. February was not a good month for us. We had every type of illness you could get...colds, stomach virus, strep throat etc.

Barb E.