- advertisement -

Type 1 and influenza, who has dealt with this?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by liasmommy2000, Feb 21, 2013.

1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Did your child need to go to the hospital? Did tami-flu help?

Lia is around my nephew every single day before and after school and then some. He started getting sick yesterday and it was just confirmed that he has the flu (I forgot to ask my sister which strain). She was there when my sister realized it could be the flu and called the pediatrician's to take him in.

They both got the shot but apparently it didn't work for him. I REALLY hope it does for her but if it doesn't how bad is it with type 1? She's had plenty of other bugs since she was diagnosed in 2006, but never the flu. I know what to do and watch for but I guess I'm wondering if it's possible to get through influenza with type 1 and still avoid a hospital stay?

Ugh. After all this time not much phases me very much, but the flu has me freaked out this year. We live in a rather small town and have had two people die of flu this year, one a teenager and the other a man in his 40's. And I don't think either had any health problems.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter has had high temps for four days this week, and it's following the pattern of my friends' family who were tested positive for Influenza A. She hasn't vomited, and her BGs have been a dream for the most part. I've followed Darryl's approach of watching what is happening every hour and adjusting. I wish diabetes played this nice all the time. (I did increase her basal to what she typically needs when sick.)

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

It is absolutely possible for someone with Type 1 to get the flu and not have to go to the hospital. It really depends on how bad it is and what kinds of symptoms they are having. Really hard to give advice untill you know for sure if they are sick or not, and what kinds of symptoms they are having. Here is hoping she doesn't get sick. :cwds:

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

There's a strain going around that wasn't covered in the vaccine and I've been told that antivirals don't work on it. We haven't had the misfortune of ever having the full blown flu, well, I have once, but not our child since Dx.

Have the endo send you their sick day plan or Google it and be prepared. I would hope to avoid the hospital but knowing when to go before it gets bad is a good plan IMO.

5. liasmommy2000

Thanks everyone. We have the sick plan and she's had a few bugs with fever since diagnosis and also the stomach flu a few times and has never needed to be hospitalized, but not actual influenza. Just wondering how much worse it is than dealing with "normal" illness.

6. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

We had the swine flu in 2009 and it ended our honeymoon phase. That flu came on very fast, she went to school, came home and just wanted to lay down and then the fever hit, and a few hours later the vomiting and coughing. I took her straight to the hospital and they gave her IV fluids and tamiflu and sent us home. We were still on MDI then so we did lots of corrrections and the tamiflu seriously helped cut that fever off after a day. Knowing whjat I know now I might try the PCP first, but going to the hospital is never wrong IMO.

Good luck!!

7. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

I've been hit with both light strains of the flu and full blown flu symptoms in my lifetime. I've never been in the hospital for flu symptoms.

From my experience, I test every two hours, lower to my sick day basal profile, and push water in order to make it easier on my kidneys in case ketones show up. If his/her stomach is upset, Zofran might be a good route to take. It eases nausea and stops vomiting. It's been a life saver for me! In the event that your child can't really eat much, I also sip on flat regular 7 up or something to that effect (Gatorade is great, too). I get carbs without having to eat something solid, basically.

Hopefully your child won't get sick! I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you and sending love your direction.

8. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

My 3 year old son had Influenza A last year and was on Tamiflu. He had no complications and "normal" issues with blood sugars, nothing out of the ordinary. We had much more problems with a stomach bug earlier in the year.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

We have had both strains of flu as well with nothing more then missed school and miserableness...

10. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

My daughter had influenza A about a month ago. She had a pretty high fever (102) and felt achy. Her ketones were large (2.3) but we were in contact with the endo's office, they had us do some corrections that were above her usual insulin dosages, and the ketones went away pretty quickly. She started tamiflu and 2 days later she was back to her normal self.

Honestly, it really wasn't that bad, looking back. At the time I freaked out because she was so miserable, but it didn't last long at all. Like someone else said, we had the stomach flu in november and that was much worse- we did go to the ER that time.

The worst part was having to get her to choke down the tamiflu! it was pretty gross.

11. bisous

bisous Approved members

Don't be too worried. DS1 has had the flu a couple of times since dx and he's always been fine! It is a little trickier/more stressful to deal with DS versus the other kids but we've never been anywhere near the hospital. Just keep hydrated and test a lot. The rest is the same for any other kid.

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

I'm dittoing everyone else. The actual flu (for us) was easier to deal with than a stomach bug. Miserable just the same, and lots of high bgs, but there was no lack of appetite and that sort of worry.

Good luck.

13. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

You can be precatious and call her ped and tell them she was around your nephew who was dxd with the flu. They can start her on tamiflu just in case. They did this for Jess a few years back when her brother got the flu.

Jess had the swine flu (very mild form) once and other than high fever for the day, it was the easiest illness we have faced.

14. liasmommy2000

So far she is just fine. Thanks for the reassurance.

Yeah, that was I thought but the pediatrician wouldn't do it.

If she shows signs I can call them and they will call it in, but they won't give it to her to prevent. Even though the same pediatrician gave my sister a prescription for her, one for her ex and two for my parents. All of whom are often around nephew but not nearly as much as dd.

15. Mish

Mish Approved members

Our endo's office isn't big on tamiflu but I forget the reason - can it cause vomiting?

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Nor is ours. And yes, vomiting is what I've read as well. Given the choice between Flu and vomiting, I'll take flu.:cwds:

17. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

DS was diagnosed with types A and B flu and strep just 2 weeks after diagnosis (the rest of us had it, too; that was a fun week). :eek:

I was worried, of course, but we made it through. Extra hydration, (powerade zero), OTC meds as needed, antibiotics (for the strep) and his endo wanted him on Tamiflu. We did have higher blood sugars than I liked, and had to adjust his insulin a lot to keep up, especially while he had fever, but this week, sugars are lowering back to prior levels, and we've been able to adjust his Lantus back down. He didn't eat nearly as much as normal, but was able to eat or drink enough to take a bit of insulin. The most exhausting part was the more frequent sugar checks, while we were all sick, but thankfully we all survived. That was the sickest I have ever been!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  18. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

Gavi has the flu right now, strain a. He started tamiflu yesterday. Thankfully it seems like a mild case, bad cough, fever(not so much today), and bg are out of whack. We're making him drink enough fluids, giving extra insulin, and checking ketones every time he pees (recommended by his dr). His fever was pretty high yesterday (103, yikes!) but he seems to be acting ok. He's had other illnesses since diagnosis, but his bg is more out of whack with this than any other illness.

19. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

There are often ads on here for the NovaMax ketone meter. I would highly recommend getting one. That way you'll know ketones in real time, not delayed. There's nothing more stressful with high BGs than having a sleepy kid forget to catch the urine to test for ketones...blood is easy in comparison & you can test both BG and ketones with the same blood poke.

20. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

Gavi vomited after the first dose of tamiflu. His pediatrician warned us it can cause nausea, but I was hoping he would be fine! I thought maybe he just took it too fast. He didn't like the taste too much, so i told him the quicker he takes it the quicker he will be finished, so he downed it pretty fast. He vomited 45 minutes later. After the first dose, I had him take small 'sips' of at a time. It took him a few minutes to finish the dose. And I also had him eat right after the dose. That really seemed to help, no vomiting except for the 1 time.