- advertisement -

Type 1 and adult onset

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by KeltonsMom, Oct 30, 2007.

1. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Okay after 1/2 a gallon of water I am now down to 200..I will be spending the rest of the night in the bathroom..:eek::D

2. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

I am so sorry Teddy! I'm just reading this post. I hope you have taken the time to grieve for yourself. (((((HUGS)))))

3. KeltonsMom

Actually it is easier to be in denial..Just kidding..I am taking it one day at a time..and if and when I need to take insulin I will be prepared for it..I am now checking my glucose when I am supposed to, so if I have to add injections to the mix I will have no problem with it..The initial shock was the hardest part..

4. KeltonsMom

UGH my doctor called to reschedule my appointment for Thursday :mad:

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Did you threaten bodily harm???? Isn't this the same doc that called you on a weekend and said it was important???

6. KeltonsMom

LOL..I should have..She called right after I had finished my coffee and I was already in a good mood..

She did tell me that removal at this point may not be a good thing, because they need to run another test to see if this is the only thing that is currently producing insulin, and they think my pancreas has stopped all insulin production..

Now what kind of test do you think they will have to give me to figure this out :confused: If it involves large needles I may run and hide somewhere:eek:

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Wow -- so if your pancreas is not making insulin, then the only insulin you're getting is from this tumor? Wow...did I say that already?

Are the 2 connected? Or is the diabetes just occuring at the same time the tumor decided to produce insulin?

I'll be thinking of you Thursday! How did you make it through Thanksgiving?

8. KeltonsMom

Wow is right..They believe the two are connected..But then again my pancreas would have shut down even if I didn't have this tumor, because of my hypoglycemia...And of course my mind gets to working and wonders if this has been the reason all along to why I have had hypoglycemia all my life..:confused:

Thanksgiving I ran pretty high for a few days and then dropped like a rock for a few days..Kind of like a not fun roller coaster ride..But I have found that eating a couple of marshmallows with a cheese stick keeps my glucose up when I go down..I got sick of Skittles and Starburst and Smarties so I decided to try something new..

9. KeltonsMom

If I have to see another doctor again I will scream!!!

Okay, I saw the endo who came to the clinic to check me over and to read the CT scan results..Tumor is the size of a pin head and does not need to be removed, however, it looks to be dying (there was a technical term for it but I do not remember what it was) Sooooo..In a matter of months or a couple of years I will be on insulin..All I can do now is monitor my glucose and they will go from there..

The official diagnoses is that I am type 1 (delayed Onset) and the tumor in their opinion has been in my body since I was in my teens..Because of this being there I never became diabetic when I was younger...They told me more stuff but my head is still spinning from all the info they gave me..

I did get my own glucose meter and test strips :rolleyes:

10. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

I am glad to hear you got some answers. I started following this thread late but you have been in my thoughts since I read it last week. :)

11. KeltonsMom

Answers are always nice, but now I am more confused than before, but this is okay..Oh I almost forgot to add that I was given a Glucagon kit (just in case) Of course Kelton told me he is too chicken to inject me with it if I go too low, and my husband told me that he too is too chicken to attempt it :rolleyes: I laughed at both of them and told them to get over it and get over it NOW :mad: and if I pass out or start to seize they had better inject me or I will be pissed if they don't..:D

I am still on restricted driving, I am not to drive long distances until this is under better control :rolleyes: (they just want the lows to stop)

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

Have they thought about getting YOU an CGM???? So, no surgery, shrinking tumor, no insulin - yet...is that good news?

13. KeltonsMom

They will try for the CGMS but I have TRICARE Prime so this should be fun..

No surgery is always good, shrinking tumor is good in a way, but once it has died I will need insulin..

So yes this is good news..I just wish I would stop having lows..or highs..