- advertisement -

Type 1 and adult onset

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by KeltonsMom, Oct 30, 2007.

1. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Wow this is so very interesting. That is great that you're getting to the bottom of this - and that it's not Type 1 at this point, not cancer, and that you have a doctor that is on top of things. Keep us posted and be careful of your lows!!!! :) Still will keep you in my prayers with the lows you are having.

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Wow, it sounds like you have a GREAT doctor!!! No wonder they were so concerned about the lows. You are in my prayers :cwds:

3. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

Praying for you here as well, Teddi, I know you'll keep us updated!

4. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Wow, I am keeping you in my prayers. Hopefully they can remove it and not cause full blown type 1 to come on to soon.

5. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Going to be away from computers this weekend..We are going camping in the desert for some peace and quiet and to dig for gold :D We are meeting friends down there and they told us they have found some gold...Mark made sure we have plenty of juice and whatever else it takes to control my lows..I am really getting tired of them..:(

6. KeltonsMom

Okay had CT scan and now waiting on the results...I had a nice camping trip and walked up mountains collecting buckets of paydirt..Now we have the fun chore of panning out the bad sand down to the black sand and then see if there is any gold in it..Gosh this sounds like work..well it is :D

I will know what the doctors want to do on the 27th...Until then I wait and treat my lows..

Can anyone think of something that will treat lows other than Skittles? If I see another Skittle I will scream..Juice doesn't work, glucose tabs do not work..Honey does but yuck..I am tired of anything with sugar in it..I wonder if gummy bears will work, or regular jello?

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Teddi:

Does juice not get it up or not keep it up? If those other sugar sources will get it up but it drops, try having the sugar, retesting 20-30 minutes later and when its up, eat some peanut butter (protein) to keep it up.

If not, I don't have a lot of other tips for you. I have a friend with 2 children with a form hypoglycemia that can't even be treated with glucgon. They do juice to get it up but then peanut butter crackers to KEEP it up.

8. KeltonsMom

Ah okay, good idea..Juice depending on what kind does bring it up to a safe level then if I do not do anything else it will drop lower than it was originally..Now what is weird is no matter what I eat, even if there are no carbs the stupid tumor pushes insulin and this is the time I drop the most..

I have been skipping meals altogether and this helps with lows, but it is not healthy..

Eating or drinking triggers the tumor to push insulin, which is crazy but makes some sense, I guess..

I will try juice and peanut butter..When it is all said and done I am sure I will not be able to put peanut butter, candy or juice near my mouth ever again LOL..I can't tell you how much I HATE candy right now..:eek:

9. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

anything except Skittles? YES!

Smarties work faster than skittles, come in a much nicer size and variety of flavors than the big, chalky-tochew 4-gram sugar tabs. And they're cheap! (Skittles are made with lots of fat for "chewiness", that slow them down a lot.)

But also, there's vastly different kinds of sugar tabs. Most of 'em taste kinda bad, but there's a kind at Wal-Mart which never bothers me: Reli-On "Fruit Punch". (Not "Tropical Fruit", ONLY "Fruit Punch". And only at Wal-Mart.) Yumm! :cwds:

10. KeltonsMom

Oh thank you!!

We will go to Wal-Mart tomorrow and get some one the Reli-On Fruit Punch as well as Smarties..

11. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Teddi, I'm glad you had a good camping weekend, and I hope you find Gold!! :D

Thinking about you and reading your posts to see how you're feeling.... :cwds:

12. KeltonsMom

When I panned some of the black sand and used the large magnet to remove the black sand (it is iron and is magnetic) I did find some gold flakes, now all we need are about 50 more flakes and we will have about 1/2 an ounce :cwds:

Today I woke up sweating and shaky and I tested and was 30 :eek: I treated it with juice and peanut butter and 20 minutes later I was 100..I am taking this a day at a time, and dealing with it..It is still scary, but like I keep telling my family, it could be worse....

13. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Pretzels and white bread for a quick rise. They're even faster than most juice.

14. KeltonsMom

Thanks..I am going to gain weight if I keep having to eat...:D

15. KeltonsMom

My cell phone rang a few minutes ago, and I was very surprised to find out that is was my doctor...She has some news for me but refused to tell me over the phone and wanted to know when I will be back in Ridgecrest, I told her we will be here in Hanford until the 25th..She wants me to come home sooner if possible and come in and see her so she can talk to me.

She didn't sound like her cheerful self and this has me worried..

Unfortunately we are clearing out the house here and cannot go back any sooner, and I told her this and she sighed and told me she will then see me on the 27th.

Now I am nervous..

16. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Oh My... She called on a SUNDAY??? And wouldn't tell you over the phone? I'm worried for you too....

17. KeltonsMom

Yeah me too..At this point I want to have a stress-free Thanksgiving, before all heck breaks loose, health wise..

As it is I may be looking at a surgery and time to heal from that..Right now I am not even going to think about it...I may indulgence later and have a nice hot relaxing bath:cool:

18. KeltonsMom

now here come the highs

Jeepers..Now I am dealing with some awful highs...:eek: I was feeling weird like I could fall asleep at any moment so I decided to check my glucose..The meter said HI!! OMG so now I am over 500 on the Precision Xtra and over 600 on the Accu-Chek :eek:

Checked ketones too..They are moderate :eek:

I guess since I am not allowed to take any insulin I will drink a gallon of water and see if this helps...Then take a nap..maybe:(

19. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

So sorry to hear about the high. I hope it corrects itself, since you have been experiencing so many lows. I hope you have that Dr's number handy in case you need to call to get a dose for a correction tonight or tomorrow!!

20. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

Yikes! :eek: If it were me, I'd be on my way to the ER.
    I hope that high comes down on it's own for you. I wouldn't let it linger too long if it doesn't start to come down soon. 600+ blood sugars with ketones can get nasty, fast. I remember vividly what DKA feels like (it's been over eleven years since I had it) and I don't wish that on anybody.