- advertisement -

Type 1 and adult onset

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by KeltonsMom, Oct 30, 2007.

1. wkat

wkat Approved members

That makes no sense. I'm in a group w/ a bunch of T1 moms and I've never heard of anyone having difficulty treating lows, including myself. Very strange information you've been given. I would definitely be testing for ketones, though. That seems more of the concern. Either way, I'm sorry you're dealing with this. You have every right to grieve. This is a loss and will be a major adjustment in your life. That said, everything will be okay in time, and you will still be able to do everything you've been doing. Hang in there.

Wendy
    T1 33 years
    Son w/ antibodies and intermittent hyperglycemia at this point

2. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I am spilling ketones now, just small, but steady, the doctor is aware of it and still wants me to come in tomorrow..But if I start spilling moderate to large ketones to go to the ER..

I really do not like waiting...I am usually a very patient person but not when it comes to my health...I am going to drink a quart of water then go to bed for awhile..still very tired

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I assume what the doctor meant about adults' hypos is that when the person is making insulin and going hypo, it's harder to treat than when injected insulin makes you hypo, because your body could release even more insulin because of you eating. That's what happens in reactive hypoglycemia. I'm sometimes glad I didn't honeymoon.

4. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

I guess I assumed they meant when being diagnosed as an adult.

5. KeltonsMom

Yes, this is what they meant..I have to agree about it too..I went low during my nap and stumbled around looking for a snack in the bathroom :rolleyes: I am SO thankful that my son understands low behaviors, he helped me test and treated me. He laughed at me and told me that he now understands what I went through when he had bad lows. He and I are learning about each other's diabetes..

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Note to self: Have juice and snacks on the nightstand when you go upstairs to take a nap

7. KeltonsMom

Good idea..I will now do the same thing..Actually my husband told me to do this last week, but did I listen..nope :eek:

8. Nancy in VA

I had to do that when I was pregnant with all of my kids. If I sat up with an empty stomach, I was ill. So, I had to eat before I got out of the bed!!

9. KeltonsMom

When I was pregnant with Kelton I was the same way for 8 months, then everything calmed down during the last month..

10. wkat

wkat Approved members

I guess that makes sense....although I still don't get why this would be different w/ kids or teenagers who are also honeymooning and still making insulin? I totally might be missing something b/c I'm tired and just got home from a PTA meeting.

11. KeltonsMom

All I know is that my hypos are harder to treat than Kelton's are..I eat something to correct and I still drop :eek: It is tiring me out so bad now, I have gone low 5 times today..I am now to the point of crawling into bed and not coming out of it for days..

I do have my appointment tomorrow morning and I hope to have some answers and hopefully my treatment options..

12. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Good luck!

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

Good luc ktoday! I am hoping the doc gets you on some good treatment!!!! NOW! ASAP! Yesterday, hell, maybe even last week!

14. KeltonsMom

This is exactaly how I feel...:D I wanted my treatment last week..It is time for me to feel better..I usually have more energy than I know what to do with and now I have none..

I also have to pack and move stuff out of the 5th wheel trailer so that we can hook up and go camping this weekend, but I have a plan..I will pay Kelton to help me :D

15. Lee

Lee Approved members

Come on, come on, come on....we are anxiously awaiting the results of your Dr's appt...can you, tell, it is all about me today - been hanging out with my 12 yr old to much I guess:rolleyes:

16. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Remember she is in Ca, it is only 11 am for her.

17. KeltonsMom

Okay...My doctor is very test happy and I am glad she is..I had a CT scan it is shows that I have a non-cancerous tumor that is producing it's own insulin, which is confusing my pancreas..The tumor is called Insulinoma..Now next week I go in for another CT scan with dye to see if this damn thing can be removed...This thing is what is causing the hypo's

I may develop full type 1 diabetes later but I will deal with that when the time comes...Now we can do a happy dance..

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

Wow! I am incredibly happy that it isn't Type 1 and that it is non-cancerous! I just hope it can easily be taken out...that is what, next week?

19. Nancy in VA

WOW! That's good news

20. KeltonsMom

I have another CT scan next week to see if this can be removed, it is still very dangerous because it produces insulin on it's own and causes hypo's I have to be aware of any symptoms I am having and treat hypos as soon as I feel shaky..They don't want me to test my glucose first just test so I don't get too low.

I was told that since this tumor is producing insulin that it is sending a message to my pancreas telling it to stop pushing out insulin and this is the reason I go high, then the whole process starts all over again with the pancreas pushing insulin and the tumor pushing insulin..YUCK..It is a mess..

There is a danger that once the tumor is removed from my pancreas that my Beta Cells may shut down, in a matter of months or years from now..So Type 1 is not out of the equation, just put on the back burner for now..

This is also a rare tumor that is found in older adults..My doctor told me I am not in the clear as of yet and to be prepared for the type 1 to develop..

Right now until they know if they remove the tumor I have to be very, very careful..