- advertisement -

Type 1 and adult onset

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by KeltonsMom, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Well, can you reach a Doctor on call. Since you have insulin "on hand", is it possible for one of them to "prescribe over the phone" enough to start getting your body in control until your appt. Badshoe was able to get a regimen prescribed for his 2nd child over the phone while at Disney!!

2. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Actually no, their flight took off a few minutes ago..I heard the huge plane take off and fly over, dang it was loud..I guess this is what I get for living right under the flight pattern of Naval jets..

I do know that if I get all sweaty and nervous I am to go to the ER right away..I am not feeling this, so I guess I can wait until Thursday or tomorrow morning..I will plant myself in the waiting room demanding to be seen..

3. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I am so frusterated for you!! If it was your child going through this and the doctor said wait until Thursday, you would not be a happy camper and would probably head to the ER.

When I was diagnosed in the research study, it took me 1 month to get in to an endo and get on insulin. And I was trying so hard to see someone!! In fact, one endo said he wouldn't see for 3 months!! And he knew I was not on insulin. I finally got in to a different endo, but it was so frusterating. It's almost like those doctors WANT you to go into DKA. Why can't he just prescribe a dose of Lantus and see how it goes??

4. KeltonsMom

I don't know, it is frustrating :mad: I guess since I am not a kid they think it is okay to wait :confused: I am acting like a kid now LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL..sorry I have been having outburst of serious hysterical laughter for the past few hours..My husband kept hugging me when I kept having laughing fits..I guess laughter is better than becoming a mucous monster with crying jags..LOLOLOLOL..

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am glad that your husband is there for you right now - that makes me feel better, knowing that you have a shoulder...keep testing yourself, don't wait for the shaky feeling...if there is no Dr available, what about off base? They usually make special considerations for when there is no help available. Even though the doc's are on a plane, I bet they can still answer the phone for dosing info...

6. KeltonsMom

Okay I called..lot of good that did me..The Endo will be in on Thursday but if I would like to I can take the drive to LA to see him sooner..Sorry I am not going to drive to LA feeling like crap and I am on restricted travel as it is, because of too many highs and lows, The endo wants to look at all of my numbers and then weigh me and look at my labs and then decide how much Lantus and Novolog to give me..Even though I have 4 bottles of Lantus on hand and 3 bottles of Novolog as well I am not to tinker with dosing myself..Too afraid to do it anyway..:eek:

7. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Why'd they tell you go to the the ER if you get sweaty and nervous? That seems like signs of hypoglycemia, which is easily managed at home, not DKA, which would necessitate an ER visit.

8. KeltonsMom

Good question, my lows are hard to treat and this is why the doctors are concerned..Right now they are more worried about the lows than the highs..Not sure if this is true or not but they all told me that lows are more difficult to treat in adults than in kids and teens :confused:

9. 3js

3js Approved members

It seems so ridiculous that they won`t just prescribe over the phone! It`s not like you don`t know what you are doing. I am sorry you are feeling lousy and scared. ((hugs))

10. KeltonsMom

Will Lantus help with the horrible lows? I am tired of eating candy or drinking juice

11. Nancy in VA

Well, Lantus isn't gonna help you with lows, but it will start to get your regulated. Right now, your body is going crazy as your pancreas is probably sputtering and trying to manage with the last little bit of energy it has left.

You will feel better once you start to get regulated - lows and highs. I can't imagine having to drink that much juice or eat that much refined sugar - makes me feel ill to think about it.

12. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I think it will help. It will let your pancreas rest some, so it's not working so hard trying to keep up. My numbers were similar to yours before insulin -- VERY VERY wide swings. I'd be up to 250, then down to 90 in no time. I really thought I'd go very low from Lantus, but I haven't at all. Things are so much more even now. My fastings are around 105, post prandial around 120 or so depending on the carbs I eat. I go to bed and wake up at almost the same reading.

Try not to eat simple sugars/carbs right now if you can avoid it. That might help the lows. But I know you have to have something if you are low...

13. KeltonsMom

I tried complex carbs for the lows and it sort of helps and then I go high and then crash fast...The only thing that is working now are Skittles and Starburst they bring me up to 114 and hold me there for hours..I am beginning to hate candy but right now it is what I have to do to keep the lows away.

I had an interesting phone conversation with my mom a few minutes ago..I found out a secret that she has been hiding from the family, her brother was a type 1 diabetic and was diagnosed at age 39..All this time I thought it was type 2 at least this is what she had us all believe. Her father was also type 1 and died from complications due to it as well. He too was diagnosed late in life as well...

Now I know there is a family history of it...

Of course my mom was very emotional over the phone and asked me if I wanted to keep it a secret, I told her to tell everyone, that they all have a right to know. I do not want her to keep this as a dirty family secret, it is a disease not something to be ashamed of.

14. KeltonsMom

Okay darnit I want my insulin NOW!!! I had a very scary low at 4:55 I was 54 and didn't feel it :eek:

15. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

You shouldn't be taking insulin if you crash like that. The insulin could be the worst thing for you right now. Insulin is for coming down when you won't on your own. Obviously you are crashing, not needing the insulin. Something sporadic and crazy is going on.......

16. KeltonsMom

I know and it scares me :eek: Most of the day I was above 160 then BOOM down I went:(

17. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I still had occasional lows right before I started insulin. I'd go high, then crash. Starting the insulin helped cause I was much more even keel, rather than up down up. I started on just bolus though, correcting down highs. Lantus was added about a month later.

18. KeltonsMom

I don't remember Kelton ever going through anything like this, in the beginning he was just high with an occasional low, then again he was in full DKA when he was diagnosed..I am not..I hope

19. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

If you think there's a chance you're in DKA, test ketones!!

I think I went hypo a year to three years before dx, but by the time I was diagnosed, my A1c was greater than 16% with a fasting blood sugar of 425; I hadn't been down below 200 in a long time.

20. Nancy in VA

How are you feeling today?