- advertisement -

Type 1 and adult onset

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by KeltonsMom, Oct 30, 2007.

1. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

Yikes. I am just catching this post. I am really worried about you! I too, had hypo's all my life really, but more so the last 3 years before diagnosis. It would mostly happen after eating a straight/high carb meal like a bagel, etc. I completely believe that your pancreas can just freak out in the end!

The important thing for you to remember here is that YOU know how you feel. Check that C-peptide, the antibodies and your numbers an hour, two hours, three hours after meals. I am certain you can predict your future based on what you will see and the symptoms at those times. "D" is so unpredicatable, and I totally feel that the pancreas can work well, and then fail, and recouperate for months, if not years.

My dad was Type 1 at age 32. So, after borderline gestational "D" with both my girls, my symptoms of thirst and fatigue especially after meals, just got worse and worse. They checked my fasting every year and it was always normal. What about those post prandials? Finally 6 years after my last pregnancy the Diabetes hit, at age 28. Then Maddison was diagnosed 9 months later. That, to me, means ALOT. I believe type 1's can be pre-diabetic for weeks, months, years. They will tell you that doesn't happen, but I disagree.

Anyway, I don;t mean to freak you out, but you need to trust YOUR feelings. Take the initiative to make sure you get all the right tests done. Keep us posted!

2. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I had a serious case of kidney stones a month ago and have not been feeling well since..I too feel terrible after eating carbs and am so thirsty that I feel like I cannot get enough to drink..I have to force myself to stop drinking fluids 2 hours before bedtime or I will be up a few times at night to pee..

I am paying very close attention to how I am feeling, and something is not right, especially with all the lows :eek: Of course the highs 2 hours after eating have me worried, I am always above 180 2 hours after meals..My gut tells me what this is, my head and heart can't handle it until I have a doctor tell me my suspicions, then of course I will be a mess for a few days...

I am so thankful that you all are so supportive and understand my fears, I will admit I am very afraid right now, but at least I will know what to do if this is what I think it is..It won't be easy because going on insulin scares the crud out of me..Lows scare the crud out of me as it is..Highs scare me too..:(

3. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Insulin is definitely scary at first, but I think it's easier to get the hang of things when it's your own body, as oppose to your kid's. I can't tell you how much better i felt after starting insulin. It was night vs. day. You might just need basal insulin to begin with. I personally started with just bolus insulin. I don't think the whole process will be as bad as you're expecting. Did you give yourself shots at all when Kelton was dx'ed, or will that aspect be new too?

4. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

My son's friend was told by his doctor he is pre-diabetic (Type 2). He was sent away from the office with a meter and instructions to test his BG - I don't know specifics. His BG ranges are between 70 and 170 and he has low BG symptoms. Now I'm wondering if it could be heading the direction of Type 1 not Type 2. He's same age as my son (19 or 20).

Still thinking and praying for you Teddi!! (((hugs)))

5. KeltonsMom

Update!!!!!

Are you all ready for the news? OMG I am not sure if I have the courage to handle it myself..

I went to my appointment and found out that my fasting whole blood glucose was over 200 :(

Tomorrow I go in for the Glucose Tolerance Test at the hospital in town, the lab on the Naval Base was closed today.

Thursday I go back for a glucose meter, test strips, Lantus and find out how much Lantus they want me to take..

I had to do some shopping on Base and on my way home I had to pull over, because I got overly emotional, of course a highway patrol pulled over to make sure I was okay..Talk about embarrassing as heck :eek: Took me a few minutes to calm down enough to tell him what was wrong. He talked to me for 15 minutes telling me that his brother who is 49 was diagnosed a year ago with type 1 and reassured me this was not the end of the world, but that it is good that I am grieving now instead of holding it in.

I do not know how I feel right now, I mean my heart broke for Kelton when he was diagnosed, and it feels selfish for me to feel as though my heart is breaking for me.

I was also told by the doctor to go to the ER if I start to sweat and start to feel very nervous and shaky..

I am to test for Ketones on a regular basis if my glucose is elevated.

I am not afraid of injections, I am afraid of finger sticks, deathly afraid of them. I can do finger sticks on anyone else but myself. I try to stick my fingers and then feel like I am going to pass out all because of fear..Stupid I know and I will have to get over it very soon..

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

So sorry to hear that Teddi, but at least you know. I think the "not knowing" is tough and you can run a lot of things through in your mind.

Its ok that you are grieving.

But, just remember - you know what you are doing. You know how to do this because you do it for Kelton. And now you have an extra special connection to him; something that you both share. You can laugh about it and cry about it together!

7. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

Oh Teddi, I am so sorry. I think this is so hard for you becuase you already feel so cheated in life having a child with "D" That is already so overwhelming, and you can't imagine having 2 sets of numbers to manage. You should feel these feelings right now, just because you are an adult, and already grieved for your child doesn't mean that you don't go thru the emotions all over again. I had a hard time with finger pokes too in the beginning, fingers are very sensitive! You should take some time to grieve before pressing on with your crazy life. Maybe a day away with someone you can talk to. I hope you can do that for yourself!

8. KeltonsMom

Kelton is sad for me, but he himself told me that I am not alone and that he will help me when I feel overwhelmed..He is a great kid, and I told him this. I also told him that he needs to remember that he is a kid and I will ask for help if I need it, but I would like for him to help me remember when to test. He told me that he and I can take our Lantus together at the same time.

I don't want him to feel that he needs to take full responsibility for me, I told him he and I will do this together as a team.

I am so sleepy and so thirsty, I may go take a nap later and let Kelton watch a DVD..He doesn't want to leave my side for now..He has finished all of his school work which is good..

I told my husband about all of this and he told me nothing will change, we will just have to get me a diabetic supply bag to take with us where ever we go..

9. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I am so sorry, Teddi. You do need to take some time to grieve. There are such different feeling when you're diagnosed AFTER your child. I would always say that I would GLADLY have diabetes myself if Carson's could be taken away. Then when I was diagnosed, I just felt like it was so unfair. I had D and Carson's wasn't taken away, he STILL had it too :(.

Get some rest. It sounds like you are just going to start out on Lantus? That's what I'm on right now and it's worked well for me. I hope the same for you.

I am suprised that they still want an OGTT test. For the trial net study, you were not allowed to begin the OGTT if you fasting was above 160 -- it wasn't safe!!! You obviously have D, why do the OGTT???

10. 3js

3js Approved members

I`m so sorry to hear this:cwds: I just read this whole thread now, and was thinking it would turn out that you had the flu or something. (((hugs)))

You have been through the mill lately! It must be scary, even though you are well versed in diabetes care.

11. KeltonsMom

I will call the doctor and ask her this...If this is the case then the hospital will not do the test.

12. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I'm so sorry, Teddi................ your family sounds wonderful and very supportive.

13. KeltonsMom

I took a nap, I had nightmares :eek: I am thankful that my family is so supportive..I emailed my dad and he of course told me to go to China for an herbal cure :D I had to laugh, he means well and I let this slide and then reminded him that it is the same type that Kelton has. He then emailed me back and told me to make sure I take my insulin when I am supposed to and to check my glucose on time and to eat right and to exercise more..He now gets it.

My husband was supposed to work late tonight, but has decided not to so he can come home and cook dinner for me, he is so sweet.

Kelton looked at me a minute ago and told me I look funny and demanded I test..I was 60 again:eek:

14. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

You have such a great little boy.
    Sorry that you had to join the club, but remember only super special people are let in.:eek:

15. KeltonsMom

Thank you..I feel terrible, not emotionally but physically..UGH..So tired

16. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

(((hugs)))

I'm also surprised they're doing an OGTT.

17. Ali

Ali Approved members

You will feel much better on insulin. The fatigue is from the the high numbers and the swings. Your family sounds wonderful and for your teenage son it is probably a blessing to feel like he can help you! I was diagnosed as a teen and if I had been able to help someone else it would have made the craziness of my type one for me less difficult to cope with. It actually will probably really help him be more responsible for himself, while looking outward-always hard as a teen. You will do great!! I have had this illness for 36 years and am strong, healthy and happy and plan on another 36. Blessings. Ali

18. KeltonsMom

Yeah the swings are the hardest right now, I am also spilling moderate ketones now and can't drink enough water to get rid of them..I may not be able to wait until Thursday to see the Endo at this rate..Of course I am scared really bad..If I didn't feel so icky I wouldn't be so scared I am sure:rolleyes:

19. Lee

Lee Approved members

OOOhhhh...call your endo now and try to boost up the appt. That is what you would do for your son, so try and do it for yourself as well...good luck. Let us know what we can do - I have a ton of lancets I can send you ;)

20. KeltonsMom

Darn it the office is closed today :mad: Something going on there and all the doctors are out flying (Naval Base) I am losing weight like crazy, not a bad thing, but considering the reason I do not like it..Grrrr..There were no ketones present this morning and my glucose was only 180 this morning LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL..Pardon me while I have a hysterical meltdown :rolleyes:

Today would be a good day for you all to completely ignore my posts..I am in a weird mood, and I may start babbling like a loon here in a minute..:p