- advertisement -

Type 1 and adult onset

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by KeltonsMom, Oct 30, 2007.

1. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

If you really want an honest answer, it does sound like you are developing type 1 diabetes.

At dx my a1c was 5.9, and my c-peptide was also on the low end of normal. I haven't had a c-peptide test in over 2 years though. I'd be interested to see what it was now- I'm guessing very minimal.

I just read that 50% of people with type 1 are diagnosed after 20. That puts me in the younger half of people dx'ed, which surprises me.

(((hugs)))

2. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Your right, thank you for posting this..This may be what I need to keep hearing to bring me out of my fear-mode..

My before dinner number was 254..Good thing I am going back to the doctor tomorrow..:eek:

Of course I am like OMG I am the reason Kelton has his diabetes:(

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

You are NOT the reason he has diabetes. We all have genes and sometimes they affect who we are and sometimes we don't. He had a gene that probably gave him a disposition. But it doesn't usually work on its own - other factors contributed.

Well, try to get a good night's sleep. I'm sure that pre-dinner number concerned you, but again, you know how to handle this. You're allowed to mourn for what you know is happening, but you can get through this and we are here!!

And if Kelton won't get a pump, maybe you can! :)

4. KeltonsMom

I will do my best at sleeping tonight..

Kelton did have a stomach flu before he was diagnosed...

And yes if he won't go on the pump I will get the Omnipod for myself :D

5. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Are you seeing an endo tomorrow?

I see my Endo tomorrow, actually.

6. KeltonsMom

My primary care doc, then a referral to an Endo 100 miles away:rolleyes:

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Wow -- it sounds like you need to get on some insulin sooner than later. We really don't want YOU to end up in the ER!!! I hope you can sleep tonight. Take a tylenol PM and maybe that will help :eek:

8. KeltonsMom

I have an advil PM that I can take

9. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Teddi, I just wanted to post to say you're in my thoughts and in my prayers. It's morning now, and I hope you got some sleep. (((hugs)))

10. KeltonsMom

sleep

Advil PM knocked me out, I took the pill at 9 and was drowsy at 9:30 and I think I went to bed at 10.

On a good note my glucose was 114 this morning, but I woke up at 4 am to a 65:eek: and drank some juice and stumbled back to bed

On Edit: when I am 75 I am dizzy and staggering..

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

Waiting here to see what the Dr says...I wouldn't worry about you being the reason...it isn't your fault ~ it's YOUR parents :p!!! They gave it to you...ok, just kidding about that one. I do hope that your test are ok and that you get the proper treatment to feel better...

12. KeltonsMom

I just now got home..My appointment was at 0820 and they did more blood tests..They wanted to re-run the other tests to make sure it wasn't a fluke..There was an Endo there today, this man is looking at coming in once every 4 months for adults only, which is good..

With the first test results they think it is delayed onset type 1...They want to do a glucose tolerance test next week sometime..But the C-Peptide was still very low..

They are not wanting to make an official diagnosis yet..So, I get to wait, and I go back on Monday to see what they want to do next..

13. BrendaK

Do you know what they did the blood tests for? What did they say about the moderate ketones?

I think the OGTT is a good idea. I would never have been diagnosed without it. My numbers were completely fine at certain times, but the OGTT showed my "true" numbers. Let us know how that goes.

How are you feeling now?

14. KeltonsMom

All I know is they ordered a CBC a full chem panel another A1c and I am not sure what else..Today I have been running low, she used the Acucheck when I was there because I told her I was dizzy and I was 60, so she ran and got me some juice..Which brought me back up.

She also told me not to worry about the moderate ketones, because depending on what someone eats they can spill ketones..I am to call back if the ketones are large..

So far today there are no ketones present.

I forgot to mention they gave me a B12 shot.

15. Lee

Lee Approved members

Gee - do you have enough going on without having to worry about your health also. I get very frustrated when a doc says lets wait and see - it's my body, lets not! How is your son by the way?

16. KeltonsMom

Kelton is doing good..His numbers are in the lower to mid 100's and I am making him exercise more which he tries to fight me on, but that is okay, I give him choices, he can either exercise or sit on the couch and stare at the wall and do nothing..He prefers to exercise:D

17. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Hey Teddi,
    I am just catching up with all the posts and wanted to tell you that you're in my thoughts. I am glad you have lots of support here from other T1 parents to help you through this. (((((Hugs)))))

18. KeltonsMom

Wow I had an interesting weekend..I found out that if my glucose drops to 60 my face meets the floor and my head feels like it is buzzing..I am thankful both of my dogs started to bark when I almost passed out because Kelton came running into the family room after he told me that Rosie kept nudging him and barking (out of character for her) Kelton grabbed my glucose meter and tested my glucose and that is when I found out I was 60..Finger sticks hurt :eek: I have been using my arms, but was told by my 14 year old that not when I am low (yes I know this) Kelton shoved this nasty cake jell in my mouth and then when I was able to sit up he shoved a juice box in my face, and re-tested me and I was only 65 so he shoved Skittles in my face:D

Now he knows that lows drop me like a rock..

I have decided to give up driving long distances until I know more of what I have and how to control this better..I have been running low all day and I am not sure what the heck could be happening..Saturday I was running high all day (200 on up)

19. BrendaK

Wow -- it's like your pancreas is just FREAKING OUT!!! It doesn't know what to do.

I had lows, too before I was diagnosed. I was able to find a pattern -- I'm ALWAYS lowest after breakfast. Weird because most people are high then. That's why I was so scared to start insulin because I thought for sure I would have a huge problem with lows. But so far so good. Now that I'm on insulin, my pancreas can REST and everything is very even right now. I'm still the lowest after breakfast, but the lowest I've gone has been 59, when exercising after breakfast...

Let us know how the blood tests turn out.
    Brenda

20. BrendaK

I forgot to say, too, that when I started testing I realized that if I don't change the lancet every time it HURTS. Then I felt really really guilty about not changing my son's everytime, we were lucky to change it once a day.

So I highly highly recommend the Accucheck Multiclix. Doesn't hurt at all. I think I saw a thread on here where you can get a free one.