- advertisement -

Type 1 and adult onset

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by KeltonsMom, Oct 30, 2007.

1. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

My sister who is now 51 was recently dx with type 1 D :eek: I was told it can happen but is rare. Well she wants me to go in to get tested she told me there is a blood test that can tell if I am at risk for developing type 1 as well..

So, before I go to see my doctor to ask to be tested what test should I ask to be given?

Now I have hypoglycemia and have had it since I was a kid, and I test my glucose often, especially when I feel low, which is about 30-60 minutes after eating anything and I am usually between 65-55
    The past month I have noticed a change, my morning number used to be between 80-110 now it is running between 115-150, I tested 2 hours after dinner last night and I was 198 and feeling like crap, headache, hot, just plain nasty, irritable as all get out.. I drank tons of water and after 30 minutes went down to 150. This morning I was 189..So something may be going on..I also had trace ketones..My 14 year old was dx @ 10 and I know the symptoms when he has them, but now I am more aware of how he really feels when he is high or low.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Well, that 189 is of most concern to me.

But, while I would be concerned, make sure you aren't coming down with something else that could be causing your "otherwise normal" BGs to go out of whack

3. KeltonsMom

True, I did think of this as well. Physically I am tired, hungry all the time..So I may be coming down with something..I will keep checking numbers and if I see a pattern developing I will then go see the doctor

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Sounds like me...

I was just diagnosed w/type 1 this summer at age 30. I was in the TrialNet research study -- they test you for the antibodies (IGA, GADD, something else...) and I had extremely high levels of all the antibodies. So I've been in their "high risk" study for a few years now and get an OGTT test done every 6 months. You sound just like me. My fastings were in the low 100's for YEARS, then within a matter of 3 weeks they went to 180 (fasting). When I was diagnosed, my 2 hour OGTT was 288. And at that point, at home after I ate a lot of carbs I'd be in the 200 range, but would always come back down to normal.

Right now I am on 10 units of lantus a day and that keeps my post prandial numbers and my fasting numbers pretty steady. But as my beta cells continue to quit working, I'll have to go on fast acting soon.

I would DEFINITELY get into the doctor sooner than later. They can test you for the antibodies, do a 2 hour OGTT, and also a C-peptide. But your numbers are not normal.

BTW-- I also had trace ketones before starting on insulin. Never DKA, but it would have gotten to that point if I didn't get treatment.

5. KeltonsMom

Did you have symptoms of any kind? I thought I might be getting depressed from the two hospital stays that Kelton has had over the past 3 weeks..I am also a little fluffy and could stand to lose about 20 pounds to be at my max weight..I know I am coming up with excuses and should call and make an appointment now..I will do so.

6. BrendaK

I didn't notice my symptoms until AFTER I started insulin. I have always had "bladder" issues/irritation since my last pregnancy. I was even on Detrol LA for a year. Nothing helped. But ta-da, now that I'm on insulin, that problem has definitely calmed down.

When my bs is high, my mouth gets very very dry.

And I was always tired after meals before, especially high carb meals. Now I feel much better.

But I did not have the overt, classic symptoms -- I was not in DKA and my symptoms were pretty mild.

I also have 2 boys at home to raise -- what mom isn't tired all the time?? Especially dealing with blood sugars 24/7 for my 7 year old!!

I hope you can get in to the doctor soon. Please keep us posted.

I wanted to add one more thing about depression -- all of this happened about 2 months after my husband unexpectedly lost his job. Talk about stressful!! I was probably "depressed" about life in general, but there was so much going on at the time, I didn't think to attribute it to blood sugars. Now DH has a new job, we moved, and really like our new area -- and I have better blood sugars. I'm feeling MUCH better now.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  7. KeltonsMom

Oh boy, I have bladder issues as well and have had them for about 6 months now:eek: They came on all of a sudden, no infection just leakage :eek:

After I eat any carbs I am so tired, but worse now..Been having a tummy ache here lately well after my wonderful dealing with kidney stones the tummy ache decided to stick around..

I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow at 8 am...

8. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I was diagnosed at 19. My onset was slow, starting with occasional highs that came down by themself. Then they happened more, were higher, and took longer to come down. I was dx'ed as pre-diabetic, but went to another endo when I saw a HI on my meter a few times where I was dx'ed type 1 and put on insulin.

Interestingly, I was also hypoglycemic from about the ages of 10-18.

9. KeltonsMom

Interesting..I was told that a lot of people who have hypoglycemia are at a higher risk to develop type 1 later in life..

I am not sure how I feel about all of this..I was devastated when my son was dx'ed...But I think I can handle it if I am dx'ed with it..Not sure tho

10. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Trialnet won't test those over 45. They asked my mother, and she was said, but you don't test those over 45! And they said, well, we'll just throw it away if we don't need it. So she said NO!

T1 in people that age is probably usually misdiagnosed as T2. If you're symptomatic of diabetes, it's worth getting looked into no matter what they end up calling it.

I was misdiagnosed with T2 for all of four hours until it was discovered that I was in DKA!

11. KeltonsMom

Well I am 41 and may see about doing this if it is close to where I live in the middle of nowhere.

So type 2's do not go into DKA?

12. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Type 2s can go into DKA if they've had diabetes a long time. Since type 2 is progressive, having it a long time leads to full insulin dependence. Contrary to what seems to be common belief among some people, DKA is an issue of insulin deficiency more than it is of high glucose- the high glucose is just a side effect from the insulin deficiency.

Type 2s can have "Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Hyperglycemia" which is an entirely different issue together. Basically, the glucose gets so high the blood becomes very thick (hyperosmolar) and that causes problems.

13. KeltonsMom

Okay all the doctor told me was I have a low level of C-peptides..And has scheduled me to come in again tomorrow for more tests..She would not elaborate what all of this means, she did have a serious look on her face though..

So, can anyone tell me what all of this might mean? I am too afraid to google it..Yes I am a wuss..:eek:

14. BrendaK

Low C-Peptide level means you are not producing a normal amount of insulin. Doctors look at C-Peptide to determine if it's type 1 or type 2. A type 2 that is insulin resistant will have a high C-Peptide because they are producing a lot of insulin and are just resistant to it. Type 1's have a low level, or no C-Peptide at all because they simply do not produce insulin.

Your doctor is doing the right tests, it looks like. And it looks like I might have a friend going through the same thing I am :(.

Did the doc check your blood sugars at all? How have they been today?

15. BrendaK

I forgot to say that my C-Peptide is on the low end of normal. All that means is that I'm type 1, not type 2, which they already knew from my positive antibodies. And it means I'm still producing some insulin. Which I already knew that too.

16. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Yeah, incidence of DKA among type 2s is on the rise because there are more of them who've had it long enough to progress that far. But the vast majority of cases of DKA are in type 1s, and so seeing that my blood was acidic made the doctor realize she might have been wrong- it took them about three weeks to be sure that it was really type 1 we were looking at.

17. KeltonsMom

Here is a run down on my blood sugars for today: Fasting was 132, two hours after breakfast I was 177, before lunch I was 180 and I have yet to test for my 2 hours after lunch..

They did an A1c but this will take time to get the results, it is not a fast machine that most Endo's have in their office..

I am drinking as much water as I can because my mouth seems to be so dry..
    Oh, I tested for ketones just out of curiosity and this morning I had a small amount in my urine..But now there are none after 2 quarts of water..

18. BrendaK

Those are not pretty numbers :( By the way, my a1c was 5.7 when I was diagnosed. They caught it so early it hadn't gone too high yet.

19. KeltonsMom

I know, now they are in the high 100's and I am spilling moderate ketones..:eek:

Yes, I am scared:eek::(

20. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Sorry to hear about the struggles. But, just know that the learning curve isn't nearly like it was with your son. You know what to do. You know how to handle this!