advertisement

Type 1.5

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 2' started by kas77, Apr 29, 2010.

1. kas77

kas77 Approved members

Can anyone elaborate on this for me. I never heard of it before today.

2. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

3. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I used to talk to someone on the chat a lot that had a daughter with type 1.5. And another daughter with type 1. The one with type 1.5 From what I understand the difference is that it has a VERY long VERY strong honeymoon. It almost acts like type 2 in a way, the honeymoon can last up to three (ish) years. Then the normal type 1 kicks in.

5. kas77

kas77 Approved members

I don't really understand the whole honeymoon thing.

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

When kids are dx'd...The pancreas can sometimes get kind of like a wake up call and start working again, not perfectly but it will kick out insulin to bring down overnight highs for example. During the "Honeymoon" phase, the body needs less insulin manually because it's making some of it's own. Does that make sense?:cwds:

7. kas77

kas77 Approved members

Kind of like how some people suddenly seem to be getting better just before they pass away? (Sorry if that description comes across as morbid).

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

No, not at all like this.

Before diagnosis, the pancreas is under a lot of stress trying to keep up with the needs of the body, when it can't. Simplistically, when this stress is relieved from the body by insulin being given from an external source, the pancreas begins to produce more insulin again. Still not generally enough to sustain the body's needs, but enough that insulin doses are lowered. The honeymoon is also sometimes described as "partial remission".

9. kas77

kas77 Approved members

But then doesn't the pancreas just stop altogether?

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yes, it does.

11. meng3

meng3 New Member

10 y/o type 1.5?

I really feel like type 1.5 describes my son. He was diagnosed as type II at 6 years old. While almost no kids are dx as T2, he fit the profile completely except his age and not being overweight. I am T2. Now, 4 years later, bs is nearly out of control. C-peptide shows very little insulin production, but enough to mean that he doesn't need insulin yet. Changed his diet to virtually no carbs-only a few complex carbs, nothing refined. This all happened 2 months ago. I fear we are in the honeymoon phase. His dr said insulin is coming, could be 2 months or 2 years, but it is coming. This is so hard.

12. Carol99

Carol99 Approved members

Type 1.5 is one of several names now applied to those who are diagnosed with diabetes as adults, but who do not immediately require insulin for treatment, are often not overweight, and have little or no resistance to insulin. When special lab tests are done, they are found to have antibodies,