- advertisement -

Turning 25...

Discussion in 'Insurance Issues' started by Chippy28, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

As a full time student (currently in grad school), I have always had health insurance under my parents' plan. Unfortunately, I turn 25 at the end of this year and my benefits will be terminated. I do work part-time, but they don't offer health benefits. My parents and I have looked into individual plans for me, but either the cost is much too high (due to D) or the benefits are extremely limited (um, 2 office visits per year and $500 max on prescription coverage is just not going to cut it!:p). I live in Michigan so job prospects that offer health insurance are slim to none it seems. Also, I plan on continuing my education (plans are to go to med school), so moving out of state for a full-time job is not much of a viable option. Anybody have any ideas?

I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place!

2. newsholme1

newsholme1 Approved members

I don't normally reply to much here (mostly read them and look for similar problems to mine). We live in Michigan too but at the moment we have insurance (next month could be a different situation). I am the mother of a type 1 diabetic and I fear the future for my daughter (with health insurance...or lack of). All I can suggest (and this might not sound so ethical) but I'd suggest getting your prescription doubled if possible...before your coverage ends. We get one vial of insulin per month but we get prescribed two (sometimes one might break or suspect it's bad and then I'll tap in to the next one). Is it possible for the doctor to say your insulin needs have gone up so you can get more insulin? I use to buy the Walmart brand blood sugar meter and strips because they were much cheaper...can you do that? Now if I ever need more than the recommended insurance amount I buy them on ebay for about 1/3 the price. That's something to think about. Sorry I don't have any great solution for you as how to get good coverage. Many times we go without coverage too (not my daughter though) and it's frightening. Just the thought of something major happening and losing our home is enough to do me in. Good luck with your situation. I could possibly help you in the future with some of these items. Please save my user name. Good luck.
    L.

3. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Well, Costco, Starbucks, UPS, and I believe Office Depot and Fedex provide health insurance to part-time workers.

I know Starbucks has a 20 hr/week requirement, and you have to work there for a couple of months to obtain the insurance. The thing is, is that you every minute you are clocked in counts towards the 20 hours. If you work there, you will have to make sure that you accumulate and go over (slightly) 20 hrs/week. Some people have missed their chance to get benefits by just minutes.

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

My university has a student health insurance. It's better than nothing, but not great. Right now I am covered under my parents' insurance and worried because I graduate November 2009, hopefully with an education degree and a teacher's certification, but probably won't get a full time job until summer or fall of 2010- what happens in the interim?

5. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Is there any sort of state health insurance you could get? I know here Kaleb will be covered until he is 27 as long as he is not married and still in school atleast 1/2 time.

I wish you the best of luck. As a parent this is one of my biggest concerns.

6. Chippy28

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. Hopefully one of them will work for my situation.:)

7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

LantusFiend, all I can think of for you is signing up to go to the UK and teach, all though I don’t know for sure if they accept those who qualify as teachers in the US. I know if you qualify as a teacher in Ontario, and you contact their recruiting agency and give them your info but don’t bother to get back to them they will basically follow up with you many times basically hounding you to come. I think that shows they are kind of aggressive. The only reason someone educated in the US might not qualify is that the UK and Canada have a similar system, to qualify as a teacher you compete a specific 1 year degree following a 3 or 4 year undergraduate degree. (There are other delivery methods though.)

You automatically get state drug and medical coverage. People without chronic illnesses who have gone on work visas say NHS is great. Michael Moore makes it out to be top notch, but accounts from the diabetic community seem to vary in their accounts.

8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Marry a man with great health insurance. LOL.

9. Chippy28

Haha! I have been working on that. No luck yet...:rolleyes:

10. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Also, you can only go 63 days without insurance coverage before they can exclude you (for up to a year) due to your diabetes.

This means you will have to pay COBRA before you get the benefits from your job, in order to ensure that you do not lose coverage.

11. Mom2Boys

Mom2Boys Approved members

Do you qualify for Medicaid or some other state program? I'd get in touch with your local Department of Social Services or go online and see what you can find for your state. Please make sure you look in to all of your options because going without insurance is very scary especially when you add diabetes into the mix. I hope you're able to find something soon!

12. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Although you will have enough credits, can you continue enrolling as a student and take the minimum credits needed to still be covered on your parents' insurance? Or go directly to grad school? Whatever it takes to keep insurance coverage, if possible.

13. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've decided to take classes after student teaching, assuming the laws stay the same. Either I'll stay on at my school for a few months and add a minor or endorsement or something, or if the school won't go for that, then attending a junior college full time, as stupid as that sounds after getting a bachelor's from a four year school, would be cheaper than paying for insurance. Maybe I'll take a few courses from the nursing school of my university- who knows?

14. lorimac14

lorimac14 Approved members

I was in your exact situation about a month and a half ago. I am a full-time grad student and i work part-time. I was under my parent's plan until I turned twenty-five at the beginning of October. I had to go under COBRA to keep my health insurance. It is really expensive ($400/month) for just me but I am fortunate that it was an option. I just took out extra money in my student loans and pray i get a good job after i graduate in May. Good luck with your insurance, it sure can be a pain....