- advertisement -

tubeless pumps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kaylaa, Aug 31, 2010.

1. kaylaa

kaylaa Approved members

what is the best tubeless pump?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm pretty sure the Omnipod is the only tubeless pump right now, although other companies are working on developing them. Quite a few people on here have used / are using the Omnipod, so hopefully they'll be able to tell you how they find it. :)

3. Gdad

Gdad Approved members

My daughter loves the Omnipod. It is the only pump she has ever used though so nothing to really evaluate it by other than shots but we do like it a lot.

4. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

The only other tubeless pump (the Solo) is a prototype. We've been using the Omnipod for 3-1/2 years... it's been great.

5. Heather-Nate's Mom

Heather-Nate's Mom Approved members

Omnipod is the only tubeless pump currently available. My 11 year old son started using it 4 month's ago, five month's after being diagnosed. It is his first pump and we LOVE it! We have had pod failures and one PDM error, which can be annoying. You want to make sure you have pods on hand everywhere you go. But the ease and simplicity of insertion and lack of having to deal with tubing make it sooo worth it. I was worried about him losing his PDM, but decided to try it becaused it looked so much easier for him to deal with. I am very happy with our decision and so is he.

6. MadeleinesMom

MadeleinesMom Approved members

Omnipod is the only tubeless now. We love it. With a small child I was worried about her having some resentment towards me for having to hurt her all the time (small child mentality) with shots or with having to do an insertion for a tubed pump. This is just a button push (which she does) and I am hands off.

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I don't understand this. Are you inserting something also with the Omnipod:confused:

I truly thought the big difference between tubeless and tubeful:D insulin pumps was...the tubing, not the difference of insertion.

8. Leah

Leah Approved members

Omnipod!!!
    :):):)

9. MadeleinesMom

MadeleinesMom Approved members

A regular pump (tubeful) you insert a needle to attach a catheter (sp?). With omnipod, you put a pod on and press a botton which in less time than it takes to blink your eyes, the needle is inserted with the catheter and retracted. No hands on a needle....its done by the pod, not by me!

10. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I think most of the infusion sets for tubed pumps also have devices for insertion, so it's basically the same thing. Except in the tubed pumps, the needle is tossed, not contained within the set like the pod.

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

So, it's a psychological thing, mostly, I'm guessing, or is it pain-free as well?

We never touch the needle either and it stays inside. For the cannulas, then yes, you have a driver needle which does come out and the "plastic" (whatever that material is called) stays inside. It is also done in the blink of an eye. If course, some kids have a lower pain threshold than others, like mine.;) That's why we use Emla.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just for the record, an infusion set, like the "Inset" which we use, comes packaged in an insertion device and with one slight squeezing action it inserts the canula. I think the pod reps may have made much of a muchness about this in their marketing.;)

13. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I have absolutely NOTHING against the omnipod at all BUT I TOTALLY agree with the above statement. I bet ya I can pop an infusion site in just as quick or quicker than the pod!;) And the statement about hurting your child well, that is just silly....the pod insertion is no more or less painfull than the other insertions. I am all for going "ga ga" over your pump of choice but really all this sounds like a bunch of brainwashing to me or maybe you (MadeleinesMom) is just uninformed about the process of other insertions.:rolleyes: