- advertisement -

tslim and apidra?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by fredntan2, Apr 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I've been MIA for a long time here.

but its pump renewal time this summer.

was just reading other thread about pumps.

we are not letting apidra go. Does Tslim really have occlusion issues with apidra?
    why on earth? does it have something to do with the glass syringe.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I think you have your new pump information mixed up/

t:slim is not a glass syringe, it is more like a "bag" cartridge, and yes there are many that say that it absolutely gets occlusions when using Apidra. I believe that there are some that do you Apidra successfully and others that use other insulin's ad still have the issue. Not being able to use Apidra was one of the major factors for us, but not the only. The t:slim has a "micro delivery" and I think somehow it creates clogs with Apidra.

Asante Snap pump is the new one with a glass cartridge.

3. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

how does the insulin get in the bag? is it supplied like that? I absolutely love apidra. heartbreaking to hear of issues

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

on the back of the rectangle cartridge there is port that you inject the insulin into the cartridge. I am sure you could find a youtube video on it, it is very different than any other pump out there.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I was absolutely determined that WE would be one of the users who did not have occlusion issues. But we did. You will have to choose between apidra and tslim. There is a slim slim chance you won't have issues; I've heard it happens. I was seriously convinced it was just the party line "we've only tested tslim with novolog and humalog" and it wouldn't be an issue. Wrong. Big issue.

From what I understand, since apidra is already broken down (which is how it acts so quickly), it is also more sensitive and something about the way tslim delivers just isn't compatible. If you research it, apidra is only meant for 2 days in a pump anyway, but we never had issue with Ping+apidra, only tslim+apidra.

It happened instantaneously for my son. First ever set change with the new pump. Occlusion after occlusion after occlusion.

He switched to novolog but keeps apidra around for injections/stubborn highs.

6. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

LOL, nanhsot, if remember right you were posting about your Tslim & Apidra problems around the time that we were pump shopping. And I was reading your posts, hoping that WE would be one of the ones that could make it work. But, Apidra & Tslim was a hot mess for us too:beaten:. Most of the time we could squeak out 48 hrs, but there was also the random 10 or 24 hr occlusions just to keep us on our toes.

We never had issues with Apidra & MM either. Even 4+ days on the same cartridge was fine.

To the OP, based on my observations here and in other diabetes forums/groups, I would say there's a better chance that Tslim+ Apidra is NOT going to work for you than there is that it will work.

7. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

Me too. I was sure this was one of those things where it just wasn't logical that it would cause problems and therefore it was a coinsidence and as usual the vocal minority was having problems. But no, it really is a problem. My very first attempt clogged at 26 hours and every attempt after was between 12 and 48 hours. If Apidra is absolutely a hard-line-no-go for you, don't go T-slim.

I had originally put t-slim in the category of absolutely not for reasons that I had considered non-negotiable. I eventually came around though and decided that my logic was not as sound as I'd thought. I had about a month where I desperately regretted the decision, but otherwise am very happy, and glad I stuck past that month as well.

To be fair, I had a stretch where novolog was giving me problems too, but that appears to have been related to a batch of sites and not related to the Apidra problem. Other than that stretch, I go a week on a cartridge of Novolog with no problems.

8. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I said for awhile that I would NEVER give up Apidra to use a tslim. However, since apidra clogged in our Ping too, we switched to Novolog and have been very happy. We will probably be looking into the tslim for our next pump using novolog. We still use apidra when my dd does MDI