- advertisement -

TSH levels--possible hypothyroidism?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Katie'sMom, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Katie'sMom

Katie'sMom Approved members

I got a call from the endo's office regarding Katie's bloodwork...her TSH was 4.6, slightly above normal. HAs anyone else experienced this? How high is "definitive" for a hypothyroid/hashimoto's diagnosis.

They will repeat her labs in March. I don't know if I will be able to wait that long!

Any perspective on this is much appreciated. I am just wrecked by this potential second diagnosis...I know we will take things as they come and she'll be OK even if she does have hypothyroid, but it just hurts me to think my poor little one has something else to deal with.

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Did they also run antibody tests for Hashimoto's?

3. Katie'sMom

No, it was just the TSh, T3 and T4...I think that is what will be added in her next labs

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

My endo says that anything over 3 isn't really normal even though 4.5 is set at the upper limit of normal. Running antibody tests area good idea; without either an antibody test or an imaging test (not both) a diagnosis of Hashimoto's (rather than another thyroiditis) can't be made.

My antibodies are negative, and my TSH went low (0.20 followed by a reading of 0.12, bottom of normal is 0.40) last spring, accompanied by weight loss, tremors, and pain in the thyroid. I got my thyroid imaged, and was diagnosed with sub-acute thyroiditis. Because of the pattern of thyroid disease seen on the iodine uptake scan, the doctors know that I do not have Hashimoto's (which causes splotchy patches of low iodine uptake, rather than the uniform low iodine uptake on my scan), which agrees with the negative antibody test.
    My TSH has since been steadily rising. My endo says that if I have a TSH greater than 3 plus symptoms, but don't have overt hypothyroidism (low T3 or T4), then whether or not to treat is up to me.

5. buggle

buggle Approved members

Brendan's TSH is a bit high like that. I was concerned about it, but his endo said that kids tend to run higher. I couldn't find a reference anywhere to verify that. I have hypothyrodism and I feel crappy if my TSH gets that high. But I think that kids/adolescents could possibly have slightly higher numbers. I hope anyway...

I'd definitely keep an eye on it. And if she starts showing symptoms of thyroid problems, it probably wouldn't hurt to get her started on a low dose of thyroid. I agree that running that antibody panel is probably a good idea.

6. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Joseph just had his endo appointment today and they had us do bloodwork for the thyroid because his felt a little enlarged. She said something to the effect that it might just be because he's starting puberty and the thyroid will seem "off" for a little while.

Need to wait up to two weeks for the test results. I hate that part.

I hope you have good results from your follow up tests.

7. shekov

shekov Approved members

I have hypothyroid though not hashimotos. Apparently they are not one in the same.

I wa dx after 2 miscarriages by my nurse (NOT Dr.). Whe was hypo and recognized the combination of symptoms at once.

I was tired but not exhausted. Still able to function though had to rest. A 3 minute walk to the mailbox and back required a break. I frequently napped but had a newborn so that was overlooked.

Hypothyroid is so easily managed compared to D. I have been hypo for 10 years and have never had to alter my medication even through 2 very sucessful pregnancies. I take one pill every morning and that's it.

I know we don't want our kids to have to deal with anything else but if I had to choose an autoimmune disease to have.....this would be it.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

Maddie's was elevated in July, but she had a slight cold at the time. We rechecked it in November and it was back to normal.

9. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

My dad is an endo and says the same thing -- plus, everyone is slighty different. What's "normal" for me is not "normal" for my sister, and we both have Hashi's. We work with our doctors to learn what levels work for us and increase/decrease our doses until we feel well.
    Eileen

10. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

Evan was dx'd with hypothyroid 3 years ago (with antibodies but endo didn't call it Hashimoto's yet). He was on the same mcg for 2.5 years and just had to increase the dose about 2 months ago. It's very easy to manage with pills that can dissolve in liquid if need be.

Good luck!

11. TEXSONMOM

TEXSONMOM Approved members

Any symptoms of Hypo - Dry Skin, Hair loss, extreme cold, tired?

DS was diagnosed with TSH in the 5's and his pituitary was all messed up. He takes 200 mcg of synthroid now.

12. Katie'sMom

She has had no symptoms so far. I received the lab slip in the mail today and it has the TSH, T4 and Antibody tests. We will go back the beginning of March to re-run tests...but in the meantoime, I will be watching for symptoms.

13. shilpi235

shilpi235 Approved members

i have the same story...i am hypothyroidic and my daughter's TSH is the highest number in the given normal range (indicating hyper) though it is not out of the highest limit number but i don't know if it is alright.my daughter doesnt put on weight even one year after diagnosis of D.i dont know what should i do.i believe the NP will repeat her tests only after a year??

14. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

My endo is testing TSH everytime I come in for an A1c now, so every three months, since I was diagnosed with thyrotoxicity.

15. Toni

Toni Banned

I do know increased TSH levels are related to Hashimotos; and, if TSH levels are high, it indicates her Synthroid dose will probably need to be increased (she has already been dx'd). Endo will not increase dose, even in the presence of higher TSH levels, until T3 and T4s are effected. I do not know if increase in TSH levels alone is related to other thyroid isues or means you will definitely be diagnosed with Hashis.

16. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

Morgan has hypothyroid, but not Hashi's. His endo likes a TSH of anything under 4. Morgan's tsh was 20 at dx, but once we got him on levothroid and got the levels normal he stayed on the same dosage for over 2 yrs. She tests his tsh every 3 months. Only within the past year did he start having symptoms again and when tested his tsh had gone to 11. He is now taking 88 mcg levothyroxine once a day.