- advertisement -

Trying to move toddler out of my room, just go a guardian

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Abbysmom, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

Hi, we have started using the guardian and I love it so far. One of my biggest reasons for getting her more equipment was to move her out of my room.

Abby is suppose to share a room with her 10 year old sister on the firts floor of our home. 16 year old sister is across the hall. My husband and I have a basement room on the other end of the house although the house is only 1200 sq feet so not that far.

10 year old sister does not wake which means my teen is now doing night car because I can not hear the alarm in the basement. I do not want pass off the responsibilty of night checks to my kid! We have tried the bowl of rocks but had no luck. Our guardian only vibes a few seconds no matter setting I use. The Alarm is set as loud as it will go. Is there any toher option besides an amplifier or baby monitor?

Also teen is having to respond to weak signal alarms. Abby sleeps in a bunk with a full size futon on bottom and I think she is rolling to far away. Would hanging the reciever from the bottom of the top bunk increase range? If the put the reciever in bed it can get covered with blankets and not heard.

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I think suspending the receiver over her bed is a great idea.
    you do need to be able to hear the alarms though - a teen shouldn't have to be the night caretaker for her sibling. We use the Radio Shack wireless microphone setup. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2131022

I found a mini amp at the Thrift Store and so it's no problem at all to hear the alarm now, even over our loud bedroom fan!

Since DS sometimes stays up later than we do, I put his Dex receiver in a small plastic box with the microphone, then put that into a "dog backpack".
    http://www.amazon.com/Husky-Stuffed-Animal-Little-Backpack/dp/B003E21M5S
    (so the stuffing inside can help mute sounds from outside the dog. I don't want to hear his TV while I'm trying to sleep.) The Dex vibrating inside that small plastic box is plenty loud enough to hear and on the occasion I sleep through that, the beeping alarm is always enough to get me up!

This works really well for us.

3. CheriMomTo8

CheriMomTo8 Approved members

Nights are hard. Our first year Maura spent a lot of nights in a toddler bed in our room or on the couch. Our room is downstairs and all the kiddos are upstairs. Which I used to like. But D changed that. Maura also shares a room with her 10yo sister and my 18 yo dd is next door.

Now that we have dex life is a little easier. We use a baby monitor and dex sleeps on a table next to the bed. At first it was near her pillow but if it gets covered I can't hear it as well. Sometimes we hang it from the top bunk over her. My 18 yo is great to help with 9-midnight checks since she is a night owl but I don't ask her to. So I take the late night shift and hubby takes over around 2am. We have no alarm nights maybe once a week but our alarms are set pretty tight.

If it's been a bad evening or I am sleepy I set the alarm on my iPod for checks. I use a soft bell alarm so I don't wake up hubby.

4. timsma

timsma Approved members

We use a small, portable karaoke machine. Put the receiver in front of that and it wakes my 14yo son up, but not my son with D.:confused: He sleeps like a rock just like I did when I was a kid/young adult. They are downstairs and we are up, so we don't hear the alarms either.

5. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

My toddler still sleeps with us and I tried to put the received on my nightstand (he's in the middle of our king size bed) and it was out of range. Now I installed a double hook in the middle of the bed above the wall and set the received in it and it works great for keeping him in range at night.