- advertisement -

trying to find the surface!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, May 14, 2015.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

It has been forever since I have posted a thread. We have moved from Reno NV To Fort Mill SC and will be moving into our new home in NC in just about 6 weeks!.

Numbers have been crazy, our schedual here is so different so I knew it would take awhile but it's been crazy. They where both high and we increased basals for both, then the oldest was running low and puberty started (budding) but the youngest started to be going low too.

I lowered both of them, it was working for a while but it seems so hit and miss. Some days great some days the skyrocket with the same breakfast.

School here is great but hard to get used, I am not used to not hearing daily from the school about my girls. Thankfully to have a nurse that cares and can count carbs, I hate not knowing about the extra testing or treats at svhool.

So, I guess my biggest question for you all is about the start of puberty, Budding in a 10.5 year old girl. Is there any rhyme or reason? She complained about chest pain and stomach ache, I don't know if she played me like a fiddle when I let her stay home 2 days.

I think that of course her chest hurt, but the stomach ache is more from the unknown/ embarrassment of her body changing? Do they get cramping prior to an actual menses? And what about numbers? Is the a "cycle" during early puberty, budding?

We had a long talk about feeling comfortable and that she is ahead of the game since she wears her pump in a half top/ bra top and most days wears a shelp tank. Mentioned how maybe that may now bother her, and to keep tank of what is uncomfortable.

Any insight? Tips? Thoughts?

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

I have nothing to say to help except welcome to the neighborhood.

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I dont remember dd complaining of pain pre puberty but I'd think it's possible. I do think her numbers were crazier in those years and are a little more predictable now that she has her period -- more of a pattern to them.

4. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

Welcome to the "joys" of puberty. My mother is lucky that she didn't have to deal with puberty and diabetes at the same time. I think I was around 9 when I first started and mensing about 3 years later. I don't remember having any chest soreness (but then again, I have no chest).

When it comes to BG and menses, I noticed that I seem to be more sensitive to the effects of progesterone. When progesterone levels start to rise around ovulation, I typically can expect to be a bit more insulin resistant in the 7-10 days leading up to my period. Menses are triggered by the sudden drop in progesterone, and my insulin sensitivity tends to go up within a few days of my period arriving and lasting until about a week after my period ends. The severity of the insulin sensitivity/resistance tends to vary from cycle to cycle. I have had some cycles where I experienced abnormal amounts of insulin resistance, and I've had some cycles where I become highly sensitive to insulin. If anything, it only means that I should not make any permanent adjustments to my basal rates until I rule out fluctuating hormone levels being the cause of it (it's typically ruled out after a week or week and a half of experiencing the same BG pattern).

With cramping, I tend to get it the worst during the first two days of my period. There have been times where I might start cramping a little bit a few days before, though they're not as bad. I prefer to use heating pads and Ibuprofen for cramp treatment, so I typically have to make sure to not use my lower abdomen as an infusion set location the week my curse is due (heat can cause the insulin to react more rapidly and can make me more prone to lows).

This might be off topic, but if your daughter plans on wearing her pump clipped to her bra or nestled in the band, make sure to do a quick test run with the bra before purchasing it. It's annoying to no end when I have to return a bra, because I can't clip securely clip my pump to it (and I can't nestle my pump in the band of the bra -for some odd reason, my pump is more likely to occlude if I do so).

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My T1 is my son, so I have no experience at all with T1 and menses, so please understand that I am speaking in generalities about prepuberty and not the addition of T1.

My daughter had cycles for a good solid 2 year prior to her actual onset of menses. Moody, cramps, everything but the bleeding...I could (and did!) chart it on a 28 day cycle for a few years. Chest pain, definitely, stomach ache only with cramps (which happened prior as well).

My daughter started her period fairly early, right around age 12 but at that time was about 5'5" and over a 100 pounds which is kind of the benchmark for typical onset. Nothing in your post seems out of the ordinary. Hopefully others will chime in with helpful info on numbers, I'm no help there, sorry.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Thank you for the non-D experience! It does help, especially the idea that a "cycle can start way before (2yrs) actually menses.