- advertisement -

Trying to figure out pancakes.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MyPumpkin, Mar 18, 2014.

1. MyPumpkin

MyPumpkin Approved members

Once in a while we have breakfast for dinner. Tonight I am going to make scrambled eggs and pancakes. The only problem is I never seem to get the carb count right with the pancakes. We always seems to run really low after pancakes. So I think I over estimate the carb count. I usually weigh out them and figure it to the package gram for servings. I am wondering if maybe that weight is for when it is dry and not after it has been cooked? :confused: Does anyone have a carb factor for pancakes?

2. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

If I make a pancake with 1/4 cup of "wet" mix (which is about 4" round when cooked), it's usually about 20g of carbs. A regular pancake is pretty high GI for us, so lately I've been using equal parts dry pancake mix and almond flour. It brings the GI down a good bit with the added protein, but strangely, still assuming 20g carbs per pancake works well (even though the almond flour is much less carbs than wheat flour, I guess the added protein is offsetting the carb reduction).

3. MyPumpkin

Well I ended up not weighing them (I like to weigh everything :wink: ). I decided to really try and make them all the same size and on the smaller size. I just gave him the serving size it said on the box of 3, 4 inch pancakes and counted it as 38 carbs. It actually worked out pretty good. I just had him check his BG and he is 141. So not too bad. I really think I was messing up before with the weight being for the dry mix.

4. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Yes you have to use the the total number of carbs in the whole batch divided by the total weight (in grams) of the whole cooked batch - then adjust. As long as you use the same recipe, once you have done it you don't have to do it again. You can apply this to any of your favorite recipes even ones that defy analysis.

For the recipe I use the carb factor worked out to be .31 but my daughter always went high. So I then just assumed a higher carb factor of .35 and it works out now.

P.s. the syrup needs to be measured pretty accurately. Also if your son is using a lot of butter a low after eating could be that the carbs are being suppressed by the fat.

Best wishes.

5. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

We use Hungry Jack pancake mix and count each one as 12, but they're pretty small. We also very carefully measure the syrup and have found that Cracker Barrel sugar free syrup has the least carbs and tastes the best (according to DS). It's pretty pricey ($3.99 for a small bottle) and you can only buy it at a Cracker Barrel, but it's worth it for him to actually enjoy what he's eating.

6. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We call all pancakes .33, whether we're at home or a restaurant. (33 carbs per 100 grams cooked and on the plate)

7. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

We do pancakes and waffles from scratch and use .3 for both. Seems to work.

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

We also use about .3 for pancakes and waffles. (based on figuring it out from a whole batch).

However, we also still seem to have trouble at night, at dinner. For breakfast the carb count works perfectly (even if we do see a spike), but anytime we have them for dinner we face lows afterwards. Not sure why that is.

9. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Whenever I make pancakes they always come out to .34

10. MyPumpkin

Thanks everyone for your carb factors that you use. I would much rather weigh them then eyeball them! :wink:

11. Dave

Dave Approved members

There are great low carb pancake recipes that are much healthier than using wheat flour and wont spike sugar. Try them!

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Dave I don't mean to pick on you but, I wish instead of just posting that there are 'healthier alternatives", that you would at least take the time to provide a link to or let us know a recipe that you have tried and liked and what the carb factor is. That would be so much more helpful.

13. Dave

Dave Approved members

You always pick on me! But, OK, fair... The pancake recipes I have seen here before. This waffle recipe is unreal. We use it for sandwiches. The rise is from the whey. Maybe do like half a unit... We just bolus off the cgm rise

http://typeonegrit.blogspot.com/2014/03/unreal-keto-waffles.html

My go to source for low carb recipes is Maria Emmerich.

14. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

I usually weigh out the dry and use the carbs on the box. We are do not use sugar free syrup because it drives her BG wild (goes too high), so we use Lite syrup with no sugar subsitute and use a med cup to weigh out in mLs. High carb meals sometimes need a little extra insulin but not in our case.

15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Personally I would stay away from telling other parents " maybe do like 1/2 unit" without stating what your ratio is so they have an idea of the amount of carbs.

It would be great if you added a carb factor to your recipe advice, or at least a batch carb total to work with.

16. Dave

Dave Approved members

Well - you know we do things a little differently....Ok... I think with this recipe there is some whey protein...there might be a few grams in the almond flour...and you might use some syrup which might have a gram or two - certainly no one is using real syrup? We make our own out of heavy cream, butter and maple extract (amazing stuff). So I'd bolus for maybe 3 to 5 grams and watch the cgm and if the blood sugar rises a little, i'd give a little more insulin, if it falls, maybe a strawberry. We work off the cgm trace (http://typeonegrit.blogspot.com/2014/03/we-use-manual-artificial-pancreas.html). Im new to the carb factor idea - if I have to start doing carb math, then I know its going to cause a spike. The waffles are great because you can make a batch once a week and freeze them.

17. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

But if you want to gain any friends and supporters here then you might want to try to give some perspective, especially because that is what the OP was asking for from this thread.

OP sorry to slightly derail your thread.