- advertisement -

Trying to decide which pump to get??

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Diet Dr. Pepper, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Diet Dr. Pepper

Diet Dr. Pepper Approved members

I'm going to an Infusion Set class on the 17th. Basically, we get to meet with reps from all 4 major pump companies, look at the pumps, and try our infusion sets.

I have done a ton of research on my own and have narrowed it down to Minimed 722 or Animas 2020...

I'd like to hear from people who use these...

Which do you use? What are your likes and dislikes? Anything else you'd like to add is welcome!!

2. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I have a MM722
    -bolus wizard (i think animas has this too?)
    -adjust temp basal in percents
    -customer service is amazing!
    -"link" meter
    -remote (great for wearing dresses)
    -Carelink and Paradigm Pal systems
    -size and shape
    dislikes:
    -i don't usually hear the alarms at night
    -basal of .25 would be nice
    -bolus of .05/.25 would be nice
    -ability to set Active Insulin in 1/2 hour increments

-If you don't finish priming while changing your site, it just sits on that screen and you dont get any insulin till you realize what has happend
    -Waterproof!! I work at a pool and having my pump of for up to 4 hours at a time does not go over well with the bgs
    Other things that don't really matter, but I think would be cool
    -I wouldnt mind some new color choices, I don't think they've changed in the past 5 years
    -colored infusions sets

3. livacreature

livacreature Approved members

Not a teen, (22) but I've had a minimed 712 and just got an Animas 2020 last week.

First, Minimed

Negatives
    ~Horrible customer service
    ~Infusion site issues
    ~Not waterproof
    ~screen scratched very easily
    ~.5 smallest bolus
    ~quiet alarms
    ~Finicky no delivery warnings
    Positives
    ~Very logical to use, good menu set up
    ~Nice backlight
    ~Most doctors are VERY familiar with this pump
    ~Easy to use resevoir.
    ~Nice quick bolus feature
    ~Alarm clock
    Don't get me wrong, the minimed pump is fine, the good menu set up is a good thing

Now Animas from my one week of wear (haha)

Negatives:
    ~The resevoir is not nearly as user friendly as minimeds. Took some figuring out to get comfortable with it.
    ~I'm not a fan of the quick bolus on this one
    ~No alarm clock
    ~Alarms sound like ringtones (and I thought people confused the minimed with a cellphone!)
    ~Takes me longer from start to finish to get primed and connected
    ~still getting used to the menus
    Positives
    ~Food data base
    ~I prefer their bolus wizard feature to minimed's.
    ~smaller bolus units
    ~WATERPROOF!
    ~color screen
    ~connective tubing is packed separately from the set
    ~smaller
    ~good customer service

Either way I don't think you can go wrong. Good luck with picking your pump!

4. Tori

Tori Approved members

I have the animas and i love it!! It's sooo easy to understand.

5. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

MM does bolus smaller than .5 it does .1 and a basal of .05. I have to agree with the quiet alarms- I rarely hear mine at night, even though MM assured us that it could wake even the heaviest sleeper. I have only had one problem with customer service: i called back and talked to someone else and got what i wanted done. Everyone else has been so helpful to me, strange that you seem to have had the opposite experience with MM

6. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

I have also been pretty happy with minimed customer service. No problems in 4+ years with them :)

7. Diet Dr. Pepper

Well I went to the infusion set class today, and I chose Animas... The green one. :D

We should get it within 3-4 weeks... I'm so bummed...I WANT IT NOW!! lol.. I'm still wearing the infusion set, and I'm not taking it off for three days!

8. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

YAY for you!! Hope you can wait that long LOL. :D

9. sports_nut_3

sports_nut_3 Approved members

I am not on a Pump but mine is coming in hopefully in a week or two and I am getting the Animas 2020 too!!!I am getting pink or blue though. :)

10. liveitxloveit

liveitxloveit Approved members

i'm going to be using the minimed 722 in about 2 weeks. i'm so excited =] good luck with your pump.

11. Diet Dr. Pepper

This is driving me loco. I want my pump. yesterday in english my teacher was giving this boring lecture. i was really high, like high 400s, and I fell asleep. I had this wierd dream that I bolused with my pump (which is odd, b/c I don't even know how to work the pump yet!) well she woke me up by hitting my desk with her ruler (hmmm... thought it only happened in movies.... w/e.) and I, rather ungracefully, jumped up and said "IT'S NOT A BEEPER! IT'S A PUMP! SEE! I'M REALLY HIGH AND I NEEDED TO BOLUS!" so I go to show her my pump, notice it's not attached to me, then get mad when I realize that I don't even HAVE it yet. grrr... I didn't get in trouble though lol :rolleyes:

12. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

wow, that's not good......
    your gonna love your pump, i've got the 2020 and i had the 1250 before that, and i loved the 1250(compared to shots)but the 2020's even better. my one problem with Animas at the moment is since they've come out with the pink i've had to have 2 new pumps(free of charge-i'm telling you, ya get one little scratch and they overnight you a new one!)and the first time mom just asked if we could have the pink one(i didn't know about them until a month later. she'd didn't want to upset me......:eek:)and they said no. last time we asked again and they still said no. mind you, the first time mom asked we were changing from silver to blue(a change of pace after 1 1/2 years). that was fine, but you can't have pin unless you're upgrading or getting your first one. that's left me very ticked. but other than that i've loved the pump, the customer service(although mom mostly deals with that....)and everything. the alarms do wake me up, although i can tell by the way there going off that i've been sleeping through some of the first ones. if you need to get up or something at a set time, here's my advice-get a alarm clock! the pumps under all those covers ect. if something goes wrong, it should wake you up farely fast, before you have a huge problem or anything. have fun with your new pump!
    Anna

13. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

Congrats on your choice:) Phoenix is getting his in the next couple of weeks also, he is getting the green Animas 2020. I am sure you will love it.
    I cant wait for Phoenix to get his, so I know how you feel..lol

14. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

HOw are you liking your pump now that you have it?? BG's still down?

15. Diet Dr. Pepper

Well, tomorrow I will have been pumping for exactly two weeks!! My numbers have been pretty good. Last time I checked I was 98. Whoo-hoo!!! But for some reason I just feel CRAPPY tonight:(... I'm about to go take a shower.. Not looking forward to that, as I have major sun burn.:mad: -no, really, I'm THAT red!!!

Oh, and yesterday the silverware drawer in the kitchen pulled my site out. It didn't really hurt, just felt weird..:confused:

16. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

i'm glad your numbers have been good!! About the drawers pulling sites out...i have already decided that when I move out, i'm going to get the handles that aren't nobs, but that you actually have to put your hand in it and pull (not very good description:rolleyes:), so that it won't pull my sites out! I think it is funny how D carries over into everything, even home decorating! lol

17. soccerbabe31

soccerbabe31 New Member

i luv my pump

i hav the minimed and i luv it. i hav the newest version cuase i just got the pump on March 17.

POSITIVE
    -1 lowest bolus
    -bolus wizard- u can program all your carb ratios and stuff and all u need 2 do is tell it how much your eating and wat your bs is and it does the rest for u
    -cool stickers for the pump
    -wicked comfortable to wear even 2 sleep : like sleeping with a cell phone but more comfortable
    -has this "Auto off" thing wen u program how many hours you'd ever sleep and then some so if its been more than that many hours and not buttons have been touched it will asume u went low and went unconcious and will try 2 wake u up or make someone near u aware
    -it may not b water proof but it is water resistant so it can get wet but they say not 2 put it in water just in case (trust me i know it can get wet cause i dropped it in the toilet)

There are so many good things about this pump and im 13 years old, a teen, but my friend has the animas so wat ever u pick u hav narrowed it down 2 the top 2 picks. If i didn't get my mm i would hav gotten the animas!!! Happy Pumping!!!!

18. lulu

lulu Approved members

I actually do not have a pump but by everything that I have heard and my dislikes of tubing I really love the omni pod for when I do get one! I just love the idea of no tubing! :]]

Megan

19. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Glad everything's going great for you Kassie!! OUCH sunburn just SOUNDS bad LOL. I'm not looking forward to that part of summer :) We have the drawer handles that you put your hand in and pull. Great thing to remember when I get my own apartment/house or whatever :D.

20. ehm1989

ehm1989 Approved members

I remember getting my pump (I got the accu check spirit in aug 07!). It came in this huuuge box and I kept wanting to turn it on and set it up, but I didn't know how to :( but I love it I'm so happy with it! And don't worry about knocking your set off - mine has fallen off while waterskiing (took a hard fall...) and i knocked it against a desk in class once and it fell off. But not a big deal, just always carry a spare!