- advertisement -

Trying the pen needles again...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by missmakaliasmomma, Dec 3, 2013.

1. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

We tried the pen about a year ago but were having issues with insulin coming back out of it so we went back to syringes. At our most recent appt, we decided to try the pen needles again. This time, a longer needle that matches up with the length of the syringes. Have any of you found the all you needed was a longer needle or will the pen needles always have this kind of issue?- maybe it's a kid thing??? Before we were using (I'm assuming) the nanos? It was a really short needle.

I really like the idea of using the pen needles and really hope the longer length will be better. Although, they are a little wider than her syringes so I hope that doesn't cause too much of an issue.

ETA: I think it's the 8mm ones that she sent a script for.

2. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

We only had this problem with one batch of pens. Think it must have been a quality control thing rather than a general problem in design of the pens. I hope you have better luck this time. They are really convenient to use - especially when traveling.

3. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

We used pen needles for almost a year and never had that issue. We started on the BD 8mm auto-shield.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I always disliked pen needles for that reason and haven't used in years. The little trick taught to us that helped a little bit was to rotate/twist before removing. So you pinch, insert, inject, then give a tiny twirl. I've also been told it helps to keep the pen stationary and allow the skin to withdraw.

Those weren't a ton of help and not enough to keep using, but it may be worth trying.

5. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

We always get a drop of leak back with Sophie's pens. I do the twist and pull,and it helps,but some leak back still happens.
    The only thing we had issues with the longer pen needles was hitting muscle and causing her to drop like a stone fast
    I wonder if something like an I-port would help with that?

6. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

Oh my goodness, I just had this same discussion with the endo yesterday. We were using Nano and I feel like it's just not getting in there or something. I feel like even if I give the injections, I can't tell whether I am really far enough in her skin or if it just looks like it with the skin pressing down. I asked for samples of the longer needles, but my daughter has been self injecting since getting the pens with the Nano needles and doesn't want to use the longer ones.

We have had exactly the same concern about he drop coming back out. At my daughter's endo practice they do not even give Nano as the standard yet. They said they have asked a rep to come in and give them studies that show the effectiveness of the needle is the same before they make it standard.

We just switched to MDI two weeks ago using pens full time and I wonder if the drop issue is no part of the reason we are having so many highs that don't seem to come down.

7. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

The way I was taught...and how we have the kids do it at camp is...

1. pinch up...put in needle
    2. push the "plunger"
    3. let go of the pinched up skin after you think all of the insulin went in (with the needle still in)
    4. wait 10 seconds
    5. pull out the needle

It usually helps with the insulin squirting out when we do it this way. Of course its all trial and error for each person.

8. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

This is how we were taught as well. It isn't fool proof, but it does help when we are on MDI for the insulin to stay in. we use the Nanos too.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

10 seconds seems like an eternity to sit holding a needle in your body... bummer

10. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

I do 20 seconds sometimes just to make sure it all went in. I get a lil bit coming out after too with the nanos but I figured that it was just a common thing since I've read that it's happened to other users. My friend who has D but is on a pump said it would happen to him sometimes after shots and he used longer needles back then.

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

We consistently get a drop that comes out of the pen needle, always have. However, the usability and ease of the pen far outweighs the drop of leak back. As long as you know that the drop is happening, consistently, then your I:C Ratios should tale that into account.

For example, she has a 1:5 carb ratio on standard needles, but after 3 days on pens, she is running a bit higher due to the leak back. To accommodate this, we switch to a 1:4 carb ratio and all is fine.

12. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

Good point about the fact that you are accounting for the drop. I must say, I gave DD her injections with a longer pen needle and much preferred it, but if she wants nano, then she'll get nano. It's her body and she needs some control over the situation.

13. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I agree with this.

14. glko

glko Approved members

Note for the BD nano pen needle we were instructed not to pinch the skin and this is what their website says as well. Using that technique and holding the needle in for a count of 10 (not 10 full sec) we did not have any leaking or drops on the skin.

15. missmakaliasmomma

Thanks for all your replies, I completely forgot to respond to the thread. We picked up the pen needles and just for hahas I decided to see myself which one she'd feel more (if there was even a difference) I felt the pen needles more; I know they're thicker but I didn't think it would really even matter. Now I'm hesitant to even try! Ugh, I eventually will but since her numbers have been a little nuts the past couple days, I'm going to wait until they're back to normal so I can truly see if it's any different than the syringes.

We won't be able to use them all the time though as she still gets 1/2 units but it's usually always 1 unit in the morning- with no spike at all- so I'm thinking starting with breakfast would be the best bet.

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

Novopen Junior does half units...

17. missmakaliasmomma

She's on Apidra. As far as I know, they only make the complete pens and not just the vials that go in the pen. I do have the green humalog pen ( I think I still have it) that does half units but can't use it.

18. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

They do make cartridges for apidra. Just not sure if they do in the US. I have cartridges for my apidra and just change the cartridge out when it runs out and put a new one in the pen. My actual pens for both apidra and levemir are not disposable.

19. missmakaliasmomma

I'll ask. I didn't know that they actually make the cartidges.. at least somewhere lol

20. shannong

shannong Approved members

We used pen needles and there is always some lost insulin with each shot, so I just would take this into account. I figured that about .25 u gets lost with each shot - so if I am giving .5 units, really he was getting .25 u. But if I was giving say, 2 units, he would be getting 1.75 units. Since the same amount is lost each time, then it really matters with the smaller doses and proportionally less with the larger doses. Worked for us.