- advertisement -

trusting the cgm for overnight checks

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mimi, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Do you still check bg with a meter? Or just look at the cgm data on screen?

I'm doing meter bg checks at night tests and wonder if that will ever change.

I'm confident with the data the cgm gives in regards to prediction lows, high, rate of change etc. But overnight I still need to do that meter bg for my peace of mind.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We don't check at night unless he alarms. But we've been CGMing 4 years. It never hurts to do a finger poke, especially if it helps your peace of mind. :)

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The current sensor is having difficulties reading well despite careful calibration. Last night I set an alarm and checked in blood - 66. The CGM was reading 50+ points higher. If I'm up, I check - and calibrate - with blood.

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

It depends if we're having a good sensor or a bad sensor and if BGs have been good at night or not.

5. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I think your DD has been using a CGM for longer than my DS, so I am not the voice of experience, but here's my take on it, fwiw.

I always check between 11:00 and 12:00. If the CGM has been reliable all day, if that reading matches the CGM's data, and if DS is at a decent number, I generally don't do another finger check. If anything is amiss, though, I do check again around 2:30-3:30.

You've asked a question that I have been wondering about, so I look forward to reading the other responses!

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

If it's in a generally good range, like say from 110-160, I leave him alone. Anything lower or higher rates a check. For example last night it said 99 and that was just too close for comfort, meter check showed an 80, so he had some PB crackers.

For us Dex is typically reliable +/- 20 points, so if he's in a range that I could add or subtract 20 and feel comfortable, he's left to sleep.

We also factor in reliability of current sensor as well.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

If the sensor is being reliable then we go by that. If we have doubts, then we check or if the risk of going low seems likely.

Downside with the Dexcom is that it can decide to go ??? and give no readings or alarms to let you know it stopped working. This has rarely happened at night but Dexcom really had their head in a non-sunny area when deciding not to put an alarm on their ??? :rolleyes:

8. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

We do not do finger sticks at night if sensor is in range or showing low. If sensor says low (below 70) we either turn the basals off for a while or give juice (sometimes both) depending on how low she is. If I'm going to give extra insulin via a correction bolus we always do a finger stick before giving a bolus, however if she is just slightly high (over 160) we will just do an increase temp basal without a finger stick.

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I can generally tell whether my CGM is accurate or not. If it shows that I'm steady or dropping / rising gently then I pretty much always am. If it's showing "weird" drops or rises (much faster than I would usually see), then I do a fingerstick to confirm.

10. manda81

manda81 Approved members

It took us a while to trust our pump, and I'm sure it would be the same with the CGM.

IMO, the hardest thing to do is trust a device to monitor/provide accurate info for your child. It takes time, and you should do whatever you feel is best, for as long as you want, until you're comfortable with the data you have on hand.

I double checked our pump info and BGs with a separate meter for the first couple months of pumping. It was hard to let go!

11. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

This is pretty much what we do too.

12. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I think the number of fingersticks done/day with a CGM doesn't change that much. There are many times I just glance at the CGM number both in the middle of the night and during the day, and then other times the CGM leads to fingersticks that we might not know to do, like surprising lows or highs. I have always checked DS around midnight, 3am, 6am, at least the CGM. Now with the mySentry I can just open one eye and take a peak. Of course, still find myself up at least half them time still based on what the CGM numbers on mySentry read since can not remotely control the pump from the mySentry.

13. William

William Approved members

First night with a new sensor (dexcom) we usually test as it can be very off that first night. After that we go on how accurate it has been that day (usually it is so usually we don't test).

14. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

So what I am feeling. I'm still gonna get up at 2 or 3 am to check but it's be nice to just check the screen and then crawl back into bed. :cwds:

15. show2tj

show2tj Approved members

checking BG

We agree... we check at least 1x by finger stick at around 12MN. Would hate to have Sebas running in high 200's when I am thinking he is in the 150's. Just annoying if you ask me. We have the CGM set to alarm at quick fall rates, but not for predictions. We did the Sonic Boom set up for a while, but we were gettting up more often. Because Sebas is so young, we are still getting up every 2 hours and would definitely finger stick if 90 or below or 120 two arrows down.

16. manda81

manda81 Approved members

(((hugs))) :)