- advertisement -

Tropical storm Sandy is on the way :/

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Becky Stevens mom, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

So Im sure everyone on the eastern seaboard has heard about what is now still a Hurrican but when it hits the eastern seaboard it should be a tropical storm (crossing fingers here) Its going to be a powerful storm, many of us are going to lose power (sound familar Connecticut folks? :rolleyes: ) So I was thinking of some things we should do over the weekend to get prepared to be possibly stuck in our homes without power for a week or more. Please add anything that ive forgotten.

If you have a generator: Make sure its working properly, have plenty of gas for it. Never run it indoors!

Have plenty of drinking water, canned goods, breads and cereals to eat. If you have a grill, make sure that you have fuel/charcoal to use that to cook meals with.

Have plenty of flashlights, battery operated lanterns and batteries, charge all cell phones a day or 2 before the storm hits. Its a good idea to have a battery operated radio to get news and forecasts

For our CWDs: make sure they have enough insulin and other diabetes supplies to last at least a week to 10 days.
    Try to have something for nausea on hand (roads may be closed so it would be difficult to get to urgent care if needed)
    Something that I do with Steven when we are having conditions that make the roads impassable is to run him a bit higher then I might normally. That is because I get nervous that an ambulance cant get here if he goes too low.That is just something I do.
    I also test more when we are trapped here by bad weather. I prefer to catch highs or lows quickly.

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

They're predicitng Frankenstorm here, for NJ to NS and maybe into Ohio and Ontario

3. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Something that we had to do when the Balt/DC Beltway area had the week and a half long power outage was when our cellphones completely died we used our laptops to charge our cellphones in an act of desperation. So make sure the laptops are charged and not being used.

Another thing is to compile a list of shelters, if you have pets definitely find a shelter that would accept pets.

We can't have generators on base, so dry ice will be a hot commodity when the power goes out. It keeps the food and insulin cold.

Frederick, MD will not only be getting the heavy winds, rain, and flooding, but also some heavy snow from this storm. I don't know my college's plan, they say they have something, but I'm running to the store tomorrow to cover my butt just in case. Thinking about those tuna packs with the crackers.

4. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

One thing to consider getting is a power inverter for a 12 volt battery/car. Great for being able to run a small household appliance in an emergency, (cordless phone for example) or recharge a cell phone/laptop ect.

(also nice to be able to plug in a laptop/dvd player on long car trips :D)

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

We can all stop worrying about the storm. I've spent the past few days getting super prepared - even buying a generator. This guarantees that despite the forecast that the whole thing will go out to see - LOL!

Seriously though - everyone stay safe. This storm is so unusual I don't think the professionals can say for sure what will happen.

6. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Us too! After Irene last year, we went out and bought a generator...even though we didn't lose power...we stayed up all night worried that the sump pump in our basement would fail and we would flood. Really hoping we don't need it this year again...but the peace of mind is worth it.

Although inland in Pennsylvania...we are directly in the storm's path. Been trying to keep my kids calm...especially with the media doing all it can to terrify everyone with talking about the "monster" storm.:rolleyes:

Good luck to everyone! Hope the lights stay on for you!

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

That's what's making me nervous! Very vague forecasting, it may hit, it may hover, we're not sure. :eek:

Finishing final preps today as we aren't expected to be impacted until tomorrow.

8. selketine

Some info that came through last night from the models had wind gusts in our area over 100mph. Tropical force winds extend out over 500 miles. Unlike a hurricane, the area affected may be a lot larger so it is worth keeping an eye on it. Our forecast already says to avoid travel after 8am Monday so I'm thinking no school for the kids tomorrow.

9. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Schools are closing here on Long Island. That's one less worry. By the sound of it the greatest damage here will be from the Long Island Sound surging. Let's hope it behaves. Sometimes these storms turn out to be duds. *fingers crossed* Good luck every one.

10. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

So far so good her in Virginia Beach. Windy and rainy, but nothing too crazy. Schools are closed tomorrow but stores still seem to be open today - we hit Dunkin Donuts this am for breakfast sandwiches and munchkins - made sure to get the big one so we have some to munch on tomorrow :) Hope it turns out to be mostly hype for everyone.

11. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I feel for all of you up and down the eastern seaboard. Luck be with you all!

12. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

As I said, we are right in the path of the storm where it makes landfall...and they haven't even canceled school for my kids.:confused: I guess because we are not near the coast? Not sure if I'm going to send them if it is open...lots of old trees around here...worried about falling limbs.

13. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Well...then second I hit "submit reply" the phone rang with a call from the school district...school closed Monday and Tuesday. Kids are ecstatic!

14. Beach bum

My kids keep asking if school is closed because they heard the alert that Boston is closing all schools. Um, guys, we're 60 miles away and we won't get hit until Monday night. For us, I bet it will be early dismissal tomorrow and no school Tuesday. But I'm not telling them that:D

15. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven's school called so far, they are out both Monday and Tuesday. Getting a bit breezy here now. Be safe everyone. Sending good vibes to everyone who will be affected by the storm

16. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Schools here are closed Monday and Tuesday, and they're telling people to be sheltering by 7pm tonight.
    Temperature is dropping, but not much wind yet. They're saying 40mph sustained winds with gusts up to 70mph for the next 36-48 hours.
    I'm hoping we don't lose power or at least not for long.

17. selketine

Most of the Washington, DC area schools are closed Mon and Tuesday. Still waiting to hear about the Federal Government but I'm betting it will be closed. Light mist here and light winds - I think the worst of it doesn't really get started until tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow (monday) is my birthday too - wow I don't remember asking for a Frankenstorm but there you go! :p

18. Beach bum

Our SAU just cancelled school for Monday. Tues. is in limbo as it's a late start day for us, so it's probably wait and see. It is getting colder here:(

19. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

School's closed here tomorrow so far. They'll "make a decision during the day on Monday" about Tuesday. Just praying we don't lose power again. Eight days without heat and water last October was more than enough! :(

Christine

20. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

No school Monday and predictions are a bit panicked. But I am trying stay calm, especially as we have a French exchange student with us all week.