- advertisement -

trips out

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by britbabi84, Jan 10, 2012.

1. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

OK, so we just started using the pump. Before going on it, if we went out anywhere we would take a small cooler pack with ice and our insulin in, some needles, the meter and our glucagon shot. I was wondering what people take out with them when they have a pump? Do you always have stuff to replace a site if needed, or just take the insulin and needle if needed? Also, does everyone keep their insulin in an ice pack when going out for just a couple of hours or would it be ok at room temperature?
    And of course we always have some candy for lows and low carb snacks and/or juice.

2. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

The insulin we use is left at room temp for 28 days. I only put it in a cooler when we are at the beach in the hot summer just to keep it stable. So you should be able to just throw it in your purse.
    I always carry a small pack of syringes, a POD change, some alcohol wipes, Baby oil (to remove old POD), insulin that we are using and glucagon wherever I go with my son. He has all that too for sleepovers with my parents.
    He carries his PDM when he goes places without me, like a playdate. If his POD were to fail when he is not with me I would go change it out for him.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

It depends on how far "out" I'm going. I try to keep in the car a bag with an extra meter, strips, poker, lancets, syringes and set change items (yes - I know it is horrible to have that stuff in the car for the heat/cold but maybe it is better than nothing at all).

We always carry a bag with his meter and glucagon and some syringes in it (the syringes can be used if the pump fails to draw insulin out of the cartridge). I try to keep an extra poker in there. We carry that everywhere - all the time - even the shortest trips (cause he also has epi-pens and I cannot bear to be without those).

I don't carry extra insulin around ever unless we are going farther away.

I also keep some tabs in the car and juice (if the weather allows). I bring snacks sometimes.

4. britbabi84

I didnt know I could use a syring to draw out of the cartridge. That is good to know!! That way I dont really need to carry around the thing of insulin all the time!
    I have to carry around a diaper bag for my baby anyway so we usually keep his stuff in there but I think I am going to get a little small bookbag for it all (he is only 3). Ya know, one of those really small kiddie bookbags. Im just trying to find a way for trips out to be a little easier. Usually we arent going far, but if we are going out for half the day or something I always feel so unorganized and always fear I am forgetting something

5. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

In town, I take meter kit and a roll of tabs. Anywhere farther where it would be annoying to have to return home to change a site, I take a site change. We never carry the vial of insulin with us. And like a poster above said, open insulin is good for 28 days whether refrigerated or not.

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

When you change out the cartridge - maybe pick one with some insulin left (like 20 units) and practice. I can do it but it wasn't super easy- these were Animas cartridges.

I think as long as you are not so far from home you don't need to take insulin - as long as you know you can go home and/or draw it out of the cartridge.

William was dx'd at 26 months and I used to take half the house with me - LOL! Eventually you scale back. What is worst is being out somewhere like an hour away - like out for the day to the aquarium or something and then lose the poker or need a set change. If I'm going on an all day trip I try to make sure to pack extra stuff. Or if we are going to a swimming pool far from home (splash park) - the sets tend to come off there.

Better to bring too much than too little and over time figure out what you don't need and/or could easily buy at the drugstore if you had to.

7. britbabi84

ok this may sound like a stupid question... so if you are out and have to change the site, that doesnt mean you have to change the cartridge and insulin like you do every 3 days or so?
    This is all great advice. Thank you so much. This is why I love this forum. We seem to take the insulin out with us EVERYWHERE and no one else seems to lol.

8. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

Same here, unless we're going pretty far, lolipops and syringes are in already the car already for a low or bolus if pump failure. BG kit has a couple of glucotabs for lows.

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Depends on the trip. General trips out and about town, to hang with friends, etc, all he takes is his meter. His meter is kept stocked with an extra pump battery and one syringe, and $5. We keep glucose tabs in the car.

If he's going to be an hour or more from home, I keep a bag stocked and he just tosses a vial in, in the bag he has site change supplies, syringes, more strips, skittles, icing, etc. It's always packed and ready to go.

10. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I've never had to do an emergency site change, but if I had to change because the site was pulled out, I would not change the cartridge and insulin because they are not the problem. If I had to change it because he was skyrocketing for no good reason, I would suspect the site and the insulin, so I would change everything.

We carry a site change with us all the time, but we do not carry insulin unless we are going far from home or to someplace where we could not easily return home within about an hour to do a full change.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I always have this on me when we go out:
    Glucagon
    Stuff to treat lows
    Spare meter, strips, poker
    Insulin pen and caps
    It's in a small pencil case that I throw in my purse

In my car:
    Set, cartridge, wipes, syringes, juice and smarties.

The above will cover us on any type trip a few hours from home. I will add to the snack/low supply for long trips.

If we go somewhere where we will be out in the sun and it's warm, I will carry everything in a small insulated baby bottle bag (small, has a shoulder strap)with an ice pack. So if the pump needs to come off for swimming, we just pop it in the cooler along with the meter. Those get wrapped in a washcloth so the ice pack isn't directly against it.

As for set change, most times you can just change out the set and go on your merry way. You will have to refill the cannula. If it's not the set, but the cartridge, try priming, that may flush the air bubble out (we've had this happen once or twice).

What I carry may seem like overkill, but I'm a former GS leader, so I still uphold to the motto of "be prepared!"

12. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

To clarify an emergency site change:

Insert a new set
    Discard new tubing
    Unclip tubing from old set
    Clip it into the new set
    Fill the cannula

No rewind, load or prime.

I guess this might vary by the infusion set you use.

I keep a large prescription bottle with a nickel (to open our battery cap), a battery, a syringe, alcohol wipe, roll of glucotabs, sealed inside in my purse and a meter and poker, one spare set, and glucagon. I buy a purse that has a separate pocket for this so I'm not always digging through it all for my keys. It's always in there wherever I am. I don't use that as my primary meter or source for anything. It's just the back up.

She just carries her meter, a poker, and a source of fast sugar (usually skittles fun packs or airheads).