- advertisement -

Tried a new lo carb bread

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Marcia, May 7, 2012.

1. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

We don't eat a lot of bread, but we recently found something new-Wonder Smart Wheat-at only 17 carbs for 2 full sized slices. While we don't limit carbs, I remember when first diagnosed Ab could have 15 uncovered carbs as a snack and we were always looking for something to fill her up. The bread tasted very good toasted.

2. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Actually it's only 12 (there's 5 g of fiber) :).
    My DD has it every day for lunch. It is good.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

We don't count off carbs for fiber - doesn't work for us.

Pepperidge Farm makes a whole wheat bun that is around 17 carbs. We've used those for years for sandwiches and all of us like them.

4. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

That's the bread we have here at our house. We also have the wonder smart white bread. it has more carbs than the wheat though. 22 carbs for 2 slices.

We don't count off carbs for fiber - doesn't work for us.

same here. the couple times we've taken off for fiber she's run high afterwards.

5. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I was looking at some low carb bread last night but it had high fructose corn syrup in it and we avoid it. I can't remember what brand it was. Does the kind you posted about have HFCS?

We don't take out fiber, either. He runds high if we do.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

comment removed by poster.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Does the kind you posted about have HFCS?

I looked at both the white and wheat and didn't see High Fructose corn syrup listed. Sugars listed in both and is 5th or 6th on the ingredients list.

8. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

We use "Nature's Own 100% whole wheat" no hfcs or artificial colors/flavors. 20g of carbs for 2 slices...(we don't subtract fiber either)

9. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I only wanted to post about a new bread available at our local store that was lower carb. There is no HFCS in it, it is not organic. There are definitely more than 5 ingredients. I live in a rural area of upstate NY where there is one store in the village, and I was surprised to find this option there.

10. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Thanks for posting this! I live in a very small town with only one store. They don't have much of anything lower carb. I stock up when I drive to nearest city, & they do have Wonder bread. I'll be sure to look for it on my next trip.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Marcia, I deleted my link. I was rushing, and just threw it up there. I actually looked up the bread before the other poster asked about HFCS so the link was there. For what it's worth, my kid ate Freihofer's bread for ages, see these ingredients :rolleyes:

Ingredients
    WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, WATER, WHEAT GLUTEN, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, YEAST, SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, WHOLE GRAIN OATFLOUR, WHOLE GRAIN BARLEY FLOUR, MOLASSES, CELLULOSE FIBER, ENRICHMENT (CALCIUM SULFATE, VITAMIN E ACETATE,VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D3), WHOLE GRAIN BROWN RICE FLOUR, MONOGLYCERIDES, CALCIUM PROPIONATE(PRESERVATIVE), DATEM, CITRIC ACID, BROWN FLAXMEAL, WHOLE GRAIN YELLOW CORN FLOUR, GRAIN VINEGAR, STEVIAEXTRACT (A NATURAL SWEETENER), SOY LECITHIN, CALCIUM IODATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE.

Sorry if that seemed judgmental, it was inadvertent. :cwds: