- advertisement -

Tricare peeps: CGMS and blood ketone strips

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Twinklet, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

Those of you who are fighting the system for a CGMS, how is that going?

And have any of you had trouble with Tricare paying for blood ketone strips? I tried to get an Rx for them filled today and the pharmacy said they aren't covered. We have no military pharmacy here, only civilian.

2. Mom2Madi

Mom2Madi Guest

I fill my ketone strips at both Walgreens and CVS pharmacy and just pay the $9.00 co-pay. I've never had a problem - but we are Tri-Care South and as we've all found out, all the regions are different unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2008
  3. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

What I had to do to get the blood ketone test strips is send the prescription to Express Scripts..They will send a 3 month supply..

You can go here and sign up:http://www.expressscripts.com/

Also about the CGMS, TriWest will NOT cover it, or at least that is what they told me, Mark appealed and the answer was still no.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  4. katywit22

katywit22 Approved members

My copay out in town in $9.00 at Walmart Pharmacy but you can get a bottle of 50 strips at walmart for $6.00 and some change. I would fill my prescription and wonder why my copay was cheaper with the strips until I realized that the strips themselves are cheap. Took me a little while to catch on. They are more expensive at WalGreens and SavMor they are like $10.00 or so. Hope this info helps.

5. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom Approved members

the first time i filled the ketone strips at CVS, they were very confused about what it was. they had to look up the code to order them and it takes a few days. then tricare said they weren't covered, but it was because they were confusing it with the regular blood test strips which we had just filled. the pharmacist called tricare and explained and then it was fine. $9 copay for how many ever your endo writes the scrip for.

we now get the ketone strips from liberty along with our pump supplies and there is no co-pay.

good luck!

6. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

CGM coverage is still in 2nd stage of appeal process....:confused:

we do get coverage of blood ketone strips - we go thru liberty for mail order and it's great! no copay!

7. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

On the CGMS we were denied, appealed twice and denied each time. I'm not willing to give up yet. I will be trying again and checking with his PCM who said she may be able to help. Especially now that we have tried a CGMS, makes me want to fight harder.

We do get ketone strips covered, we have to get them from Walgreens and pay $27 for 900 of them.

8. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

We get Kats BK strips at the $9.00 copay at the local pharmacy. Tricare doesnt cover them but we can use the copay for that. That have not helped us at all with our CGMS battle.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

We have no trouble with blood ketone strips.

haven't tried cgms yet.

10. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

We get our ketone strips (as well as the rest of our supplies) from Liberty (mail order pharmacy) and haven't had a problem, except for them being back ordered. Also, there isn't a copay. We, personally, haven't started trying for a CGMS, but I have heard that it is listed as something they cover under durable medical equipment. Our endo has gotten two of them covered thus far - at least that's the rumor!