- advertisement -

Tresston has been pumping for a little over a week now....(Long, sorry)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Midwestmomma, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

Tresston finally started on his Cozmo(in black) on August 21. :D

He had good numbers the first few days, and was having problems sleeping with the pump on and getting "comfy" for the first few nights. Well, all heck broke loose on Tuesday(the 26th)....I was at the school most of the day chasing/feeding lows. Called the Dr. and we made some adjustments. As soon as we are headed to school on Wednesday(the 27th) his pump beeps to check after breakfast....he is at 70, march him into school office as he is downing glucose tabs. I stayed at the school for an hour getting his BG back in order and making sure he was OK. He had another low after lunch, and hovered kinda low the rest of the day, so i called Dr. back and made another adjustment. We had a ste change on Wednesday(the 27th) and we did it after Dinner....and had to do another site change by 1am in the middle of the night. He wasnt to happy with me at doing a site change in the middle of the night, but his BG was up to 452, so I changed it. I gave a correction(which I had NEVER done before at night), and stayed up to make sure of no lows later. He woke on Thursday(the 28) at 107...came down nice and slow...thank golly. I had never done a correction at night for a high and Dr. never told us what to give/do, so I gave 1 unit....and prayed all would work out. Dr. still hasn't really gave me instructions on what to do for kinda highs at night...hope I figure that one out. He has had decent numbers since Thursday(the 28th), but is having issues with his site being a little itchy....We do another site change tomorrow....hope it goes OK and lasts longer than 6 hours.

He has figured out how to do almost everything on the pump...DH still hasn't figured it all out.;) Tress is adjusting to wearing it better than I figured he would, we have figured out a "comfy" way for him to wear it at night. He isn't to thrilled about wearing pump paks...so I haven't bought any yet.

I hope we get it all figured it out more in the near future(real near) and we can get to the fine-tuning of his numbers. And maybe I can get more than 4 hours of sleep a night somewhere in the VERY NEAR future.

Wish us luck !!

P.S. I just wanted to tell all of you that you have helped me learn so much since I have been on this site, and helped make our transition from MDI to pumping not so scary.... It is scary, but i feel I was a little prepared.

P.S.S....Hope you are all prepared for questions from me.:D

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hey you!!

Well, it takes some adjusting, but you'll get there.
    I'm glad you guys figured out a way for Tress to sleep comfortably.

For the itching, try using something like Tegaderm, between the skin and the adhesive.

And badger your endo for clearer intx on corrections. Wear those purple BGPs, girl!:D

And don't hesitate to post as many questions as you'd like. We're here for you.

3. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Hi BGP.

Has T tried pajamas with pockets? He may feel comfortable with the pump in the pocket.

What are you using to prepare the skin before putting in the site? We found a lot of the prep stuff irritating and basic soap and water worked well.

4. SGHanna

SGHanna Approved members

for the comfort while sleeping, i recommend just putting the pump on the slender clip and putting right next to the hip bone where it grooves in. then it's out of the way for sleeping on the side and back.. stomach is kinda ohk. wearing pajamas with pockets work but usually it comes out of the pockets because of the loose material.
    and i don't usually wear the pump packs. i already get enough questions about my pump. i usually just put it in my pocket or on the clip if i don't have pockets.

5. Midwestmomma

Well, the IV 3000, which is what we have, seems to make him itchy.:rolleyes:, and i put it on over the site.

And badgering the CDE hasn't gotten me anywhere lately...she is not a fountain of information...just gives the basics.

6. Midwestmomma

We have tried the pajama pants with pockets, and the Cozmo is kinda too big to fit good and it falls out.

To prepare his skin..i wash off with soap and water, then wipe with IV prep, and then put in site. That is what CDE said to do..Is that right???:confused:

7. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Umm...I just wipe it with an alcohol swab, and after it dries, an IV prep wipe, wait for that to dry, and then put my set in...I don't see the need for the soap and water. :confused:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  8. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

About corrections for highs at night ... did the endo set up a specific correction factor for the hours when he is sleeping? I would also ask if he has set up a specific target for night time that is different than the day. (For example, our daytime target is 100 and our night time target is 150, since we want to be more conservative at night).

If you aren't sure how to check your correction factor settings, you can find this out by going to the pump menu and selecting >setup >delivery >corrections then hit next until you get to something like "Correction Factor by time of day, edit and review?" then select "yes" and next. It will show you what CFs you have set for which times. If you hit back then you will be back in the corrections menu and you can hit next until you get to something like "Blood Glucose Target by time of day, edit and review?" then you select "yes" and next and it will show your target settings by time of day. I hope those are the right directions, Samantha is sleeping on top of her pump right now, so I can't go check.

But anyway, if the endo set up a separate CF and target for night then chances are you could just enter the night time BG into the pump and then it will suggest a correction dose. But if you don't have those set up specifically for night, I would ask your endo to give you night time settings so you can be giving corrections at night through the pump. Either way I'd call and ask the endo how he (she?) wants you to handle highs at night, I am surprised he (she?) hasn't told you that yet.

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We just use IV Prep before site change. We do not use any IV 3000. We use Quik-sets or Insets 6mm with our Cozmo using Novolog. My son has senstive skin and he skin was less red after I take of the site if we use IV Prep instead of just alcohol or soap and water. The IV Prep has a skin barrier in it. Our endo said if it gets itchy we could put Cortaid around the site area.
    I only done that once.