- advertisement -

Treating lows

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Austins mom, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Austins mom

Austins mom Approved members

My son is only in his second year of this and is really tired of juice, soda, candy, and tabs.... suggestions would be amazing!!! thanks in advance ")

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

He probably won't like this, but we use frozen peas or carrot sticks at times. (Especially if it's close to meal time!!)

Frozen orange juice concentrate that only takes a spoonful.

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Pretzels are super fast and my DDs go to when she is sick of sugar. I like to buy the small Halloween packs.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We use them as well and I hadn't thought to look for after halloween packs on sale, thanks :)

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

Fresh fruit are nice. :)

7. dpr

dpr Approved members

Dried pineapple is like rocket fuel for my daughters lows and she loves it.

8. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Sometimes lowering basal is a good alternative to eating...only for mild lows and in certain situations, of course.

Is he having a lot of lows? Or perhaps he has a sensitive palate. I can't imagine my son ever getting tired of candy. lol.

We use jam, saltines, milk, or fruit snacks. Smarties are also good, compact, and about the right number of carbs. (They don't hold up in a purse or backpack for long periods of time, though.)

9. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Son is going to Maroon 5 tonight with a buddy and buddy's Mom. Trying to streamline his carrying and remembered this specific post. Going to stop by Target and pick some up. Packs more punch than tabs and much easier to carry than juice. Thanks!

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

The holiday packs of pretzels, they are usually about 10-12 carbs. I just saw some at Target in spring shapes. She also likes the applesauce in pouches (10g). Dried fruit is good and it only takes a few pieces to bring her back up.

11. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Marshmallows are good, I recently made some homemade ones and they are really tasty. Kind of hard to cut perfectly, so the carb count isn't perfect. She likes them at night, easy to eat.

12. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

Raisins are good and it only takes a few. They don't hold up well in the bag though when you use the little boxes. We also like yogurt raisins. Actually any dried fruit is good. I second the dried pineapple that someone else mentioned.