- advertisement -

Treating Lows at 4AM

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SarahKelly, Mar 25, 2010.

1. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

on those rare occasions that my son is low at 4am we're having trouble getting him to consume anything. He fights and screams saying, "I just sleep". Any ideas? We're trying not to do any gummi type of foods as my children seem to have weak enamel and don't want him to end up with a ton of cavaties...he won't sit up to drink and just wants to lie there. During the day we usually treat lows with chocolate soy milk or glucose tablets.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Do you pump? If so, depending on how low the low is, you could try using s reduced temp basal, then check.

Do you use straws? I think those help. They don't really have to get up, kwim? Just a turn of the head is enough. For both juice and milk.

3. SarahKelly

he does use the minimed pump, but over night he's already at the lowest basal setting and if we reduce it for any amount he seems to then spike quickly after treating lows. We've tried straws, no luck, seems even angrier about us sticking something in his mouth and saying, "drink please." This has been a major issue for us all along, but now that he's two his opinion about this is getting even stronger ;) (kwim)

4. rare

rare Approved members

Maybe some cake gel that you can kind of just squeeze a little bit into his mouth while he's lying down? I'm not really sure. I have the same problems with my son and haven't found a solution myself. He gets combative. Since he's 13, he's getting too big for me to handle the combativeness and is much stronger than I am.

5. etringali

etringali Approved members

alex can eat glucose tabs in his sleep. we just tickle his cheek and he chews. He can also suck a juice down in the blink of an eye in his sleep. we try to not wake him unless we absolutely have to.

Would your child be able to nom in his sleep?

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Maybe he could suck a lollipop. It would get some sugar into him. The only problem there is the sugar on the teeth for several hours until you can brush them. With Steven we will usually have him eat glucose tabs then get up and at least rinse his mouth

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I really big on talking about these things during a drive, at the dinner table, after reading books before bed ( he's 4... right?) and making clear that sometimes you have to drink juice at night, you don't have to wake up all the way, you don't have to open your eyes, etc etc. Hopefully he'll hear it when he isn't low and eventually will accept it as the rule. :cwds: Good luck.

8. Toni

Toni Banned

This is too slow for a lower low, but Sis uses Gogurt, not juice. She squeezes it right into her mouth and she swallows.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

Maybe it's just because he's gotten used to it, but Cameron will drink a juice box with a straw without even waking up. It still amazes me that he does this, but I hold it, he sucks it down, rolls over and it's like nothing ever happened....

10. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

When we first started, Christopher would not drink juice at night. We used the caramel packets from the apples in the Burger King Happy Meals. They're 10 carbs, and are in a package like a ketchup packet. We could get him to open his mouth, and then squeeze a bit of the caramel in.

Now he's able to drink a juice box in his sleep, so all we do is slide the straw in his mouth.

11. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Charlie does the same thing. A juice box is the only thing I can get him to take without a huge fight.

12. 2boysmom

2boysmom Approved members

My son will also drink a juice box without really waking up. I have found that he does better if it is warm and not from the fridge. I have to smile when he tells me "thank you" after giving it to him.:)

13. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

At that age we used the snack pack chocolate puddings. They have the sugar and milk to hold them over. You also don't need a refrigerator to store them so we'd have tons of them with plastic spoons by his bed at night.

14. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

I use juice boxes too and Charlotte never wakes up. Lately I've even noticed that when I go in to check her, she'll start sucking at the air while I'm testing her. She's usually low when she does that, like she knows she's going to get juice.

15. SarahKelly

sorry if TMI, but trouble is he gets diarrhea with juice. So...maybe carmel, but do you worry about tooth decay?

16. wilf

wilf Approved members

These are baby teeth.

You need to find something that works that he'll take. Is milk an option, maybe in a bottle or sippy cup (with lid)?

17. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

we always use glucose gel for the middle of the night lows, expensive but fast!

18. sassypantz

sassypantz Approved members

We do a couple spoonfuls of caramel syrup. Nothing to chew, does down easy, and it's one of her favorite tastes anyway.

19. SarahKelly

good point Wilf...except I found out that if the decay is bad enough it can damage the enamel of the underlying teeth, his dentist is concerned. He can't handle milk and soy doesn't seem to bring him up quick enough.
    I am interested in the glucose gel, are you meaning things like what is used by runners? I'll have to give that a try but wonder about it's viscosity as he gags on things like liquid tylenol....
    I know I'm making this difficult, but really we're racking our heads for things that he'll eat without too much drama, but are limited by his allergies, strong gag reflex, and simply being at that independent two year old stage.

20. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Cakemate, the icing in a tube in the flour and sugar aisle, is our backup. Goes in whether she fights or not. :( Watch which you get, I think they are all full sugar now but for all I know some have Splenda these days, and some I've noticed you have to cut the top off, it's not open. Should have seen me in the amusement park bathroom last year trying to chew the end off one!

But what we use regularly (just did it) is grapes. You probably want to cut them in half when you first start, watch out for choking. We've used these since she was diagnosed at 18 months and she's three now. Easy to guess carbs, about one each, and they're really just little bags of juice. Wouldn't feed them to him on his back but I think if he's on his side he can chew and swallow, and there's no allergy issues.

Good luck.