- advertisement -

Travelling with Insulin

Discussion in 'Other Diabetes Products' started by onyx1177, Apr 18, 2014.

1. onyx1177

onyx1177 New Member

Hello,

We are travelling out of the country in the fall. I am looking to find something that will keep unopened Insulin cold. Not the FRIO!! We have one and we do not like it at all. Plus, I need something that will keep the insulin at a refrigerated temp since it is unopened insulin, that we would be taking with us as extra vials in case of an emergency. Can anyone recommend a good product? I am having a hard time finding something. Thanks for your help!!

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

How long are you going to be gone for? If it is less than 28 days then you don't need to refrigerate the insulin.

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Hi, for extended international travel we use insulin pens. I still use the insulin in my pump but less goes to waste if one cartridge gets lost or damaged by the heat. I use about 600 units a month so that is 2 pen cartridges per month. I generally bring twice as many cartridges as I would expect to use as back up. It is a lot less insulin waste than bringing multiple vials and then having to toss them if they get over heated. Also, I don't have to worry about keeping them refrigerator cold since I am not planning on using them once I get home.

For long acting insulin the levimer pens can be kept at up to 86 degrees F for 42 days. I prefer traveling with those instead of lantus because my experience is that after a month or so out of the fridge lantus gets a bit cloudy (especially in a very hot climate). I have been able to keep the pens cool (but not cold) with frio packs in temps up to 120 degrees.

4. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I know you are looking for suggestions other than frio, however, I trust it a lot more than ice packs or other portable means of cooling because it will never freeze my insulin which I've found to be more of a danger to the insulin than overheating. I frequently travel with up to six months worth of insulin, so I understand the fear of risking your backup supply. I have used frio in tropical environments for extended periods of time with no loss of efficacy.

If you will have access to refrigeration intermitantly, I have also refrigerated when I had access, either for overnights or for a few days at a time to help prolong the life of the insulin. However, even then, I tend not to trust strange fridges if I have not been able to monitor them first since I have lost more insulin to freezing than I have to room temperature or frios.

5. onyx1177

onyx1177 New Member

Thanks for your responses. We are traveling to Turks and Caicos for a week. I am bringing extra, unopened, refridgerated vials of insulin in case we need back up (current vial breaks, etc). I am just concerned about being without a fridge during our actual travel time - 3 hours at the airport before the flight, a 3.5 hour flight, then however long it takes to get to the resort, check in, the room being ready, etc. I don't want to be out of the country without backup vials!! My daughter is not on a pump as of yet (we are in the process) so we are still doing injections. I guess we might not have a choice but to use the FRIO. We don't like it because it makes the bottles all slimy and sticky, like the gel leaks through. Yuck. Anyway, if there are any other products you can think of, please feel free to pass them along!! Thanks again!

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I just travel with insulin in a little make-up bag with a few mini-freezer packs. It's always been just fine, even for 18 hr flights.

7. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

If your concern is just the transit time, and you have a solution in place for the actual trip, I wouldn't worry about it. As I said, I travel with many months worth of insulin at a time, usually on much longer trips than yours. I used a cooler on the early trips but haven't for probably 10 years. Never had a problem. I just refrigerate on arrival, or use the frio once I land. I don't want to fight with security over the gel in a frio, so I travel with it dry. In the big picture, a couple hours at controlled room temperature is not a concern, just don't check any insulin, keep it all with you.

The frio shouldn't leave anything slimy. My vials will get wet from the water, but dry clean. You might want to contact them about it. If they won't replace it, you can use a small ziplock inside the frio pouch, like a sandwich or snack size bag to keep the goo off the vials if it bothers you.