- advertisement -

Traveling Tips

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Luke's Mom, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Luke's Mom

Luke's Mom Approved members

Hello All:
    My name is Maria and our 14 year old son Luke was just diagnosed with Type 1 on 2/5/10 - He's doing very well - much better than I am with our new 'normal' . We are taking a long anticipated vacation next week and will be flying. He is taking MDI of humalog and Lantus. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!!

2. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Hi Maria. Here is my list for travelling by air.

Things to pack/take with you: Twice as much insulin, test strips,needles, etc as you think you will need. Extra meter, batteries (for meter), insulin pen (if you use one). Snacks (both for hypos and just for snacking) - most flights have no food these days, and you don't know what will be available in the airport. A list of contact numbers for your doctor(s) and your pharmacy, just in case. This should all go in your carry-on bag(s). Most airlines will allow you an extra carry-on bag for medical supplies.

Get a letter from your endo, explaining that your son has D and has to have all the supplies with him in the cabin, not in checked baggage. You may have to show this to the airline and/or security.

I also print out the page from the TSA website that lists diabetes supplies as exempt from security restrictions.

Get to the airport extra early to allow extra time with security.

Tell security that you are carrying medical supplies (sometimes they have a separate line that's faster and you don't feel pushed by impatient people behind you.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll post again if I think of more.:)

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello Maria and welcome:) Im glad that Luke is doing well with diabetes. Kids never cease to amaze me with their bravery and strength.

That is wonderful that you guys are going on vacation! I hope you have a fantastic time. Now lets make sure you have everything you need to go:

1) Extra insulin of both kinds. If using a pen have 2 pens of each or 3 depending on how long your going for

2) A Frio or something to keep the insulin cool

3) At least 2 Glucagons

4) Fast acting glucose, glucotabs, skittles, glucogel

5) Zofran for vomiting (hope you dont have any of that!)

6) something for motion sickness if your son has problems with that

7) Medic alert bracelet iding him as diabetic

8) locations of nearest hospitals

9) locations of nearest pharmacys

10) Meter and extra if you have it. Also test strips, lancets, control solution and batteries for meter if theres a chance the batterys will run out

11) Alcohol pads, log book

Thats all I can think of for now.

Oh yes, Im not sure about air travel with diabetes supplys. I imagine that security will have to look through things but it all must come with you on the plane so its there if you need it and cant get lost in transit

4. Luke's Mom

Luke's Mom Approved members

Thank you for the terrific tips -- would not have thought to take batteries for the glucometer!! I'm really nervous about all the eating out we'll be doing - I hope my calorie king travel book is accurate !!!

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Maria, just me again. I think that for most fast food places like McDonalds and Wendys and such they have nutrition info online if you go to their site. Alot of restaraunts are getting better about having the info on their placemats or up on the wall somewhere.