- advertisement -

Travel Time Zone Question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tracy1918, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

We're going to travel in a few weeks and there will be a 2 hour time change.
    We haven't done that on the pump and I'm not sure how to handle it.

Would you change the clock or leave it alone? The trip will be one travel day, staying for 4 days, return travel day.

Thanks for any help,
    Tracy

2. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

We had the same questions last year when we travelled for the first time on the pump - all you need to do is change the time on the pump to the new time when you arrive at your destination. Do the same when returning - that's what makes the pump so great (no messing around trying to figure out long acting insulin doses and timing!).

Stephanie, mom to Jacob age 9
    Dx since 2005, pumping with MM since 12-10

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I just change the time on my pump, however long I'm going for. The only time I'd do differently was if the time change was massive (like 8 hours) and then I might stagger the change and do a couple of hours each day.

4. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

So you don't think the 2 hour time change will mess with his basal tooich? That's my big concern....

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Travel tip

I don't know for how many hours you will be traveling, but we drive from S.C. to Texas every year to see my sister (2 day car travel). This was our first trip on the pump.

EVeryone at this forum advised to up the basal rate, as you usually go high from non-activity. WOW, were they right! We started at 115% basal, but that did not even touch it - we ran in the high 300s! I adjusted to 150% and that helped, low 300s. On the return trip we ran 180% basal and that worked just fine.

It was so hard to believe that sitting for long periods of time would require that much insulin! I would never have thought to go at 180% basal rate.

You have to use trial and error - but expect to need a good bit more insulin. My son is only 4 - so I don't know how much age has to do with it, but the increase was significant!

Have a great trip!

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

For us, it didn't too much. We just checked a bit more frequently than normal.

When we flew we did a temp basal increase and then just changed the pump time when we got there. Didn't mess up bg's too much.