- advertisement -

Travel container for those who use needles?

Discussion in 'Other Diabetes Products' started by JamieTheTiger, Aug 15, 2008.

1. JamieTheTiger

JamieTheTiger Approved members

My daughter takes TDI right now as a newly diagnoses type 1. We are drawing up insulin with syringes at the moment. What do you use to carry the used syringes while out and about?

2. hurrayupmom

hurrayupmom Approved members

we use empty water or soda bottle, then dispose of properly when we get home. Use this when staying in hotel, then just bring home in suitcase at end of trip.

3. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

We have a little bag that came with a diabetes supply kit years ago. It is meant for sharps. We don't use it anymore but I just found it again the other day and thought it would be good for cgms changes while on vacation to put the dreaded needles in.

4. JohnMom

JohnMom Approved members

We use the "On the Go Sharps Syringe and Needle Transport". It is great for used lancets also.

5. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Kind of weird, but we use a plastic toothbrush holder or the empty container that my son's epipen was in. It's the right size and they don't open up.

6. Charlene

Charlene Approved members

I use an empty crystal light container for unused syringes in our bag. But at home I keep empty one on the fridge to put the used ones in.

7. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

I have some of the travel size sharps containers that I found at Wal-Mart and I always keep one in our bag (but they don't hold much). For longer outings I have a large plastic vitamin container with child-proof lid -- this works great for us!

8. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

A rinsed-out Pepsi or water bottle works great for us if we will be gone a while.

I take a bright colored post-it note, write on it "Sharps- do not recycle", tape on the note and toss it in the trash if needed. (Here in Ohio that is legal, not sure about other places.)

In her daily bag that we carry when we leave the house, we have a small zippered sharps pouch. It holds a few needles until we get home and transfer them to the regular container.