- advertisement -

transporting insulin???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Hayden'sMom, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

Hey all,

I am happy to report that it is finally Spring here in BC and with that, our first summer with diabetes is approaching us quickly. It can get very hot where we live and I would like to know how you all transport your insulin (if on MDI) to the park, to the beach, or long drives in hot cars? Can insulin get too cold? Should it be in a cooler...what kind of cooler do some of you use if so? And how do you keep it cool? Any other suggestions for carrying all this "STUFF" around would be greatly appreciated too:)

Thanks so much,

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I like to keep things simple - if needed, I'll toss the insulin, wrapped in a papertowel, in a small insulated lunch box with a few of these ice cube sized freezer packs.

3. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

We usually stick the insulin in our Frio pack to protect it from extreme temps. The pack is farely small, so I can put the insulin inside it and then stick it in my purse or in the diaper bag. :)

4. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

I also keep insulin in a cooler in the summer--I keep the insulin in the box it comes in, then stick that in a ziploc, then put it down in the cooler with ice packs. I am from SC and it always get very hot there and even with keeping insulin in a cooler, we still would lose potency of insulin after about 3.5 weeks in the summer. Not sure if you'll have that problem up in Canada, and some people in the deep south don't have that problem either so who knows. But on very hot days you definitely need to keep it cool.

5. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We're in Texas, and if we're going to be out for the day, we store extra insulin in a lunch-box style cooler (with the boys snacks, since they both have Celiac we're always carrying food around) and throw in an ice pack. We haven't had any issues doing it this way.

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I only use a cooler if a cooler were going along anyway (basically if I'm packing and taking a lunch with us). For basic day trips and in his sports gear bag, that sort of thing, insulin goes into a Frio bag. Love that thing!

7. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

jesse has an extra large frio pack... He took it to Greece 2 years ago, and it protected his insulin for the 2 weeks....

8. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

I've been traveling with insulin for 50+ years and I'm convinced that fears of it getting too hot is an urban myth.
    I never cool mine. I simply throw it in my bag and go. Never had a problem; not in New Orleans for six weeks after Katrina or a time in Iraq. The stuff is robust.
    If your numbers go haywire during a trip the reason is more likely related to a break in routine and change in eating habits. If you want to cool it, that's fine. But my experience is it'll be fine tucked into your bag next to the socks.

9. Susanne

Susanne Approved members

We use frio for longer trips/camping and a CVS Daypack which includes a little icepack for hot days/day trips.

10. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

:rolleyes:and smashed, busted, and use-less !! Yup, that's the way to do it...

Please listen to the others, and do the lunch box thing or get a Frio pouch

11. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

We have had insulin go bad after forgetting it in the car for 15 minutes. We couldn't figure out why DD was running in the 400's even with a couple of corrections. It was the insulin.

We have also had insulin break when dropped (our first day out of the hospital). Now I am sure to pack extra when we travel just in case I get the dropsy's.

12. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We have a small insulated case that came in the diaper bag I got from the hospital when I had a baby. It also came with ice packs that fit just right. So convenient! But I don't always use the ice pack. I would also throw in a few syringes and anything else I needed, like his meter, if it would fit.

You want to be careful that you don't freeze it. I put something in between the insulin and the ice pack to protect it from getting too cold.

If I don't want to bother with the ice packs, I just keep the insulin, etc. in my purse or something for DS to carry. If it stays with us, it will probably be okay. If it will stay in a hot car for a while, I would always make sure it was with an ice pack.

HTH! Have a fun summer!

13. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

I was being a bit sarcastic in that last remark...:D
    We have to watch insulin in my sons pump and tubing in the summer...if it gets to hot. And yes, I believe that insulin will go bad if it gets to hot...we have had it happen a couple of times...and it wasnt even cloudy. We have a little lunch box cooler type thing that we use when we need to take extra with us, or when I run to the pharmacy to pick it up in the hotter summer months.

14. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

Yeah, it was a bit rough the first day and we had to eat out and try to figure out how to count carbs at a wierd restaurant and give the insulin at a crowded table...the vial rolled of and darn if it didn't shatter right there in a busy restaurant. That right after I left one in the car and ruined it the first night.

15. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

Thank you so much everyone!!!

16. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

I thought the Frio pack needs to be exposed to air for it to work properly?

Tokyo can get really hot in the summer... we've had high numbers with insulin left too long in her "care bag" outdoors or in the car. We usually have those small frozen gel/ice packs and I wrap the novopen jr. in a "bento wrap" -- it's like a mini pretty version of those emergency blankets -- together with the ice packs.

We've also used those bottle holders (to keep your drink cold) and throw int he ice packs inside together with the insulin pen.

17. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

On the Frio website, it says "outer pouch wallet increases the wallet's efficiency and allows it to be carried safely in your pocket or a bag as required." So, I always was under the impression that as long as you activated the inner pouch correctly, you could stick the insulin in that, stick that into the outer pouch, and then throw it in your bag and the insulin would stay cool. That's how we use it and it has always worked for us.

18. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

This is my understanding too. I think the big thing is not to seal it in a ziploc bag with no air circulation.

19. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

Correct - the Frio cools because of water inside it evaporating. This won't work in a Ziplock.

To the original poster.... We use a Frio almost exclusively. If we are going somewhere really hot, we might toss it in the fridge for a while to cool it some more, but that is it. We just used it for a week in Mexico on the beach. It did a real nice job keeping the insulin cool all day.

20. AKA

AKA Approved members

In the 30+ years I have been using insulin, I've only had one bottle go bad. I was at the beach and my bottles of long acting and humalog were just in my bag in the shade (no ice). The bottle of long acting got clumpy and I didn't use it, but the humalog was fine. In the past, I've also kept all my bottles of Humalog unrefrigerated for 2 months while I was using them and that was fine also. Apidra also seems fine at room temp for about a month.

But, I would never leave insulin in a hot car and never let it get frozen- those are definitely bad.

Maybe people who notice a change are more sensitive to insulin?