advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmitter replacement

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Just Jen, May 7, 2015.

1. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

So our transmitter is just beyond the six month mark. We haven't yet seen the low battery warning. Do I wait until I see that to order a new transmitter, or do I go ahead and order a new transmitter before I see that screen? How long do you typically get from your transmitter battery?

2. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

When it goes, it goes suddenly. Since insurance pays every six months we get them every six months and leave them in the box.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

^^This. When ours have given their warning, we've had 24 hours or less until total death. It's good to have a reserve if you can.

4. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

Our dexcom transmitter has been running past the one year mark, we are still on it. I got a new one after 6 months, it is still in its original box on stand by.

5. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Our first lasted just over 12 months. Not sure how long exactly or if it gave the warning because it was in the drawer. The 2nd one lasted 13 months 2 days. It died on the 5th day after the warning.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I don't order it at 6 months because every one we've had has lasted longer - I tend to order it at the 8 or 9 month mark. We put one in at the end of Nov and it will be about 7 months or so when I have to renew the Dexcom to upgrade to the Share and I'll get a new transmitter then.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We have been all over the board as to how long our transmitters last. We had one fail at 4 months, one fail at 2 months, and a few last well over 6 months. I never want to be without a working transmitter if I can help it, so we order one at the 6 month point and keep it in the box. When they die, they go quickly.

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

My first one died at 18 months with virtually no warning. I was ordering every 6 months (it is a $25 copay for me) so I always have one in warranty but I have 2 back ups now so I stopped.

9. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

So I learned that having one on hand as a back up isn't the best option. After posting this I ordered a new one which I received on May 20th. However, my first one ended up lasting until the end of September. It never did give me any warning, but it started having ??? often enough that I decided to just switch them out on September 26. However, that second one has had issues now for over a month. After first registering LOW for almost 12 hours straight (when she was actually over 200) and then sitting at HIGH for another six hours when she was actually floating between 150 and 170, I sent a report to Dexcom. They told me the transmitter was shot and I needed a new one. However, the warranty began when they shipped it on May 18, and it was past six months, even though it had only been in use for about three and a half months before the problems began. So unless you have an insurance company that okays everything in less than 24 hours (ours seems to take seven to ten business days to approve anything) having one on hand isn't the best option.

That said, when I explained our situation to the tech and the fact that we have a high deductible HSA and have to pay full price until we reach a ridiculous amount each year, she decided to ask her supervisor to approve a reduced rate for us, which they did. So I am grateful for that opportunity. But I will not be ordering one in advance again. When this one dies, we'll just have to wait however long it takes until they approve another one, and pray we have the money saved up or have reached our deductible for the year.