- advertisement -

Transmitter Life Dexcom G4

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Sep 11, 2015.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

In a show of virtual hands, how many of you have had a G4 transmitter last a year or more?

I'm stuck between a rock and a $200 hard place with our Dexcom. I should have just ordered a new transmitter at 6 months, but I didn't. I kind of gambled because I knew the G5 was coming but anticipated it being available in Jan or Feb of next year, so I delayed ordering thinking I could stretch my two G4 transmitters out until G5 was approved.

Now, it's approved and I never ordered the second transmitter.

My choices are to
    1) pay $200 to upgrade
    2) wait until after November 20th when our warranty on the receiver is up and insurance will pay 100% (deductible paid in full)

What I cannot do is order a new transmitter and then order a full G5 system in November with transmitters. Unfortunately, the G4 transmitter will be under warranty for 6 months after ordering and Dexcom doesn't think insurance would pay for new G5 transmitters when the old one is still in warranty.

I have until October 25th to make a decision. I don't want to pay $200 when I already paid my deductible for the year. But I don't want to be without a Dexcom for a week, let alone a month should the transmitter quit working between 10/25 and 11/20.

Trying to decide if I should roll the dice . . .

2. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

What if you just ordered another G4 transmitter now and then upgraded the Dexcom receiver to a G4 share in November? The G4 share can be upgraded to work with the G5 via a software download and then once the 6 months is up you could upgrade the transmitters to G5 via insurance (in Feb)? We are doing that...we received a G4 share and once our transmitter is out of warranty we will be getting the G5 transmitters and the code to download software to make our G4 receiver compatible with the G5 transmitters (no extra cost). I guess the downside is you won't have the "new" G5 receiver but since it's not technically needed for the G5 how important is it? I guess you could always get the new G5 next Nov...unless a G6 is out by then! :) hope that makes sense. Sounds confusing when I type it out.

We will meet our deduct by Feb as we have other things going on besides T1D, but that is early in the year so may not work. I'd be so tempted to roll the dice and save $200 but it would stink if it quit during that month!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Kind of a bad spot to be in.

I guess you have to decide which is worse--waiting another 4-5 months for g5, paying $200, or having the risk of going without dexcom for a month.

If you order a transmitter now, then wait to upgrade the whole system to g5 once warranty is up, it will be the new year...will it cost more than $200 to upgrade then, if your deductible isn't met yet?

Maybe call your insurance and ask. Since the receiver will be out of warranty in nov, maybe they will replace the whole system, unless g4 transmitter can be used with the g5 receiver. Assuming you will be getting the g5 receiver. (What I'm trying to say is that the receiver might be your ticket to getting the transmitter covered, if it won't work with the g5 receiver.) This is just a wild guess though.

It's a tough choice. Good luck figuring it all out.

4. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I think it really depends how much you think the g5 vs g4 with share will benefit you. I think I'd just roll the dice and pray a lot for that little transmitter though. If your transmitter does fail in that one key month, just post here. I bet there will be people who have upgraded and can send you their old g4 transmitters.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Sorry I think I might be missing something but why can't you order a G5 transmitter (with insurance) and not a receiver? Then you can just get a receiver when your insurance will pay if you really want it. Also, see if you can go through your prescription insurance if it is separate since that often doesn't require any sort of approval.

I got 18 months out of my first transmitter. I am now a little over a year on my second one and it is still going. I actually really want it to die soon because it is the thicker one and I really want to switch over the the thinner one. I don't think I am going to switch to the G5. I have 2 back up G4 transmitters and 2 back up receivers on hand (I'm not hoarding supplies-- it is because of where in the world I travel and my insurance is fully aware) so I don't think it would be worth it for me to switch.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

There is no new receiver with the G5 system. The $200 upgrade fee pays for 2 transmitters. The receiver is just a software upgrade because the reality is that with the G5 transmitters, you don't NEED a receiver. So, take the receiver out of the equation when you're deciding.

7. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Have you tried calling Dexcom and telling them your receiver is dead now, and you need something now, and seeing if insurance will buy you a G4 transmitter now and they'll upgrade you to the G5 for free when it comes out? I think they're still selling G4's with free G5 upgrades to people in that situation right now. Do you have a Share receiver? They're only allowing free upgrades for people with a Share receiver, because the non-Share one can't be upgraded to work with G5 and the FDA is requiring a receiver even if in actual use it's optional.

I've also had G4 transmitters last over a year.

8. dianas

dianas Approved members

I don't understand how you qualify for an upgrade if your transmitter is out of warranty? wouldn't the upgrade offer be based on the last transmitter purchase date not Gen 4 Share receiver? I would think you would qualify for an immediate purchase of a new Gen 5 transmitters under insurance if your transmitter is out of warranty.

I would think the receiver would last longer out of warranty than your transmitter. The Gen 4 Share receivers will be updated remotely to Gen 5 receivers after you get the transmitters. You could always wait and order a replacement Gen 5 kit with your second order of transmitters or just the receiver if it fails early as you'd have your phone as a back up receiver.

Diana

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  9. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

My transmitters have never lasted more then 6-7 months. As I'd be LOST without the Dex I wouldn't take the chance. However, you may have luck buying/trading for a G4 transmitter online once the G5 comes out if some people have a stash of backups that are obsolete.

10. mamattorney

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

I wonder if I CAN get the G5 transmitter, say October 1, through insurance, without a receiver. I just don't know. I don't have a share receiver, so she'd have to use an iPhone, which is fine. My daughter doesn't have one, but she's been eligible for an upgrade on her current phone since June, so that's an easy fix (esp with the new 6s being released. I can get her a 6 for $100 or a 5s for even less)

Based on the phone call, I thought the simple explanation for the upgrade was $0 if you don't need anything extra (meaning you own a share receiver and insurance would pay for the transmitters); $199 if you needed one piece - either transmitters or receiver, and $299 if you need both. Since insurance will pay for my transmitters, I was quoted $199 for the receiver.

I guess it all comes down to whether you can order a transmitter without a receiver.

11. Nancy in VA

I know we will end up with at least 1 extra G4 transmitter at some point, because she's using one now and we have 2 on the shelf. We easily get 9 mo out of them and a miscommunication when I was getting Share in June got insurance to pay for another one right after they had just bought us one. We just got the Share so unless carrying both receiver and phone becomes a real problem, we'll probably just wait until next June to go for G5.

12. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

My Dex Share is coming this week and a G 4 Transmitter at the end of the month. Dexcom said I could upgrade for free in October when the 5 comes out. You might want to call them to see.

13. mamattorney

Well, I called dexcom today and they told me they had not shipped out a new transmitter or receiver (non tech support) since 2013! That shocks me, I could have sworn it was 2014, but I trust their records more than my memory.

So they processed an out of warranty replacement for both, and a G4 share receiver plus G4 transmitter will ship today. I can then apply for a free upgrade and get the transmitters and a code for the share receiver firmware upgrade in October.

Personally, I think this is a waste of resources. I'd rather just let them keep the G4 transmitter for someone with a Vibe or t:slim G4 or who otherwise chooses to stick with the G4 system. I can't be positive, but I think my transmitter will hang on another couple of weeks.

But, the girl on the phone said this was more efficient, so whatever, I guess.

The good things are (a) I don't have to pay $200 and (b) that I can still tie her iPhone to the holidays/her birthday which was my ideal plan anyway.

14. Nancy in VA

Dexcom may just not have had a record if you purchased it from a 3rd party. They didn't have a record of my last Dex receiver and I'd had it a year at the time.

15. mamattorney

That's why I trust them - I've never used a 3rd party; we order all our sensors/equipment straight from them.

Worst case scenario, Blue Cross rejects the receiver and I end up paying the $199 upgrade fee, but I'm hoping that Dexcom is right and I am remembering wrong.

Also, if they are right, this transmitter has been going 16 months!