- advertisement -

Transition to Summer Effect BG?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lcblk27, Jun 12, 2013.

1. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

I was just curious if any one else has dealt with big changes to BG levels as kids transition from school to summer vacation?

My son is almost 7, on MDI lantus and novalog, if that matters.

We were doing ok during school, running a touch high. We were at the endos last week and made some tweaks and were getting better. Then school ended and it feels like all heck broke loose. He's been running super high, often in the 300 range. Unless of course he's been playing outside a lot, then he plummets and we have to try to keep him up.

I plan on doing some logging for the next few days and see if I can figure out what is going on and where to tweak...again.

2. shannong

shannong Approved members

My son is not done school yet, however there is a big difference between weekends and school days for us. I believe this mostly has to do with his level of activity and when it takes place. For example, at school his I:C ratio for lunch is 1:35. It is this high because after lunch at school he plays outside for 1hour. However, on weekends, he doesn't necessarily go play for an hour right after lunch. If he is not playing after lunch his I:C ratio is 1:20. I think going from very structured schedule at school to being out of school has to involve a lot of changes. Good luck!! My son's last day is friday and I have been concerned about this too.

3. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

Thanks for your response, at least I know Im not the only one. I feel like Im having to play catch up here.

My son was also on a different carb ratio at school than at home so I guess it would make sense that if he's home, he's going to run higher.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

That is the most important thing to do to find out what is going on. I would even log meal times and activities (especially where he goes low). We definitely see a change from school to weekends and then a big change from school to summer. For us it usually takes 2-3 weeks to get to a happy place. LOL, sometimes it seems just when things are really working it's time to go back to school!