advertisement

Transition from original Tslim to new Tslim X2 question (couple questions)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by GChick, May 12, 2018.

1. GChick

GChick Approved members

Used to post here litterally years ago, but, here goes:

While at my CDEs office when I got my new x2, we were going through the process of putting in a cartridge etc, when I noted (she had actually never worked with the original Tslim) that it was different that you now have to fill the cartridge when it was outside of the pump instead of the other way around like the original Tslim.

Anyway, the rest of the process went smoothly and I’m still using that cartridge since last week Friday. Just today, I saw on another forum a lady complaining of the irritation of having to “remove the air from the cartridge when the old pump used to do it for us!”...

I never removed the air when I filled it on that first go . Are we really supposed to? There have been no issues so far, and I guess it looked like I “had things handled” as I was going through the process so the CDE never said anything or noticed.

Should I be removing the air from the cartridge from this point on though? While not a big deal to have to do it, if it isn’t required though, I’d rather avoid an unnecessary step.

One thing that DOES annoy me about the new text vs the original Tslim, is when you set a basal to less than 50% a minute or so later it will beep annoyingly telling you so.

YES I set my basal low because I wanted to DISCRETELY treat a low without alerting anyone to my issue, but THANK YOU for alerting everyone that im doing something over here... now that... is an annoying new change.

Any way to turn off just that one alarm? Cus it’s really an unnececcary thing and just complicates the discreetness with which I try to handle things sometimes.

2. ChrisDadT1

ChrisDadT1 Approved members

We had so many problems with air bubbles before with the original tslim, that we were excited about the extra step to remove air manually from the cartridge. However, I don't think it really works. Although we can see large air bubbles float up through the syringe, we still get small air bubbles that block insulin delivery in the leur lock. If you've never had problems with air bubbles in the tslim, congrats - you're one of a few. For the rest of us, we still have to constantly check the leur lock and run the "Fill" routine whenever a bubble is blocking the flow.

As far as the low basal alarm, it only goes off if your basal is LESS THAN HALF your basal setting. So here's 2 ways to avoid it:
    (1) Set your temp basal rate to 51% (no alarm)
    (2) Go to your personal profile and change the basal there - for example, if your basal at 3PM - 6PM is 1 unit, and you want 25% basal, change it to 0.25 unit. Then later, don't forget to change it back.