- advertisement -

Trampoline...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TheTestingMom, Feb 8, 2012.

1. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

We just got a trampoline, DS loves it. But I've noticed that a few hours after he jumps he goes low. Could it be from the jumping?

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Definitely. 20 MINUTES sends my daughter low on a large trampoline. We don't see the same on the mini-tramp though. That one just helps strike the spikes for us.

The 3 biggies for us as far as exercise drops during & after: trampolines, snow play, and swimming.

3. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

How do I prevent it? He isn't going low a hour or more. I'm stumped.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I would put him on a temporary basal for a bit to counteract the low. How much after are they occurring and for how long? How severe? (We saw 50s within the 20 minutes, so we started giving 15-20 carbs free plus turning on the hated predictive alerts for extra safety.)

5. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Yep, trampolines is up there with swimming as being a nightmare for Tyler. He goes low after about 15 minutes, so we snack him up before hand and disconnect the pump. Then we sit back and test test test...Usually into the night:(

6. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Emma drops like a rock on the trampoline. Just a word of caution, lowering basals too much (or for too long) in order to counter exercise-induced lows can result in ketones. Your BG doesn't have to be high in order to develop them. So when Emma's on the trampoline, we provide her with things like low-carb juice pouches that contain 8-15 carbs apiece and try to leave her basals alone.

As always, YDMV.

7. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

Oh yes, fast drops here with the trampoline. W needs to start high and depending on how long he jumps, needs sips of Gatorade or smarties to keep him from plummeting.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  8. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

Yep, this is what happens for us too...

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Try giving him some carbs and dose for 1/2. So like 15 carbs before he starts.

What happens is when exercising, once the carbs run out, the body borrows energy - aka glucose- from the muscles. But, when at rest, the muscles steal it back - which is what causes the lows a few hours later or in the overnight.

This is why the Gatorade trick works so well for some kids - if there are carbs in the system, the body doesn't have to borrow from the muscles. This trick worked wll for us up until the puberty stage.

10. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

Nothing will drop Matthew's blood sugar like a trampoline. I'll never forget the party we went to where there was swimming AND a trampoline. Thought I would never get him up enough because all the activity just kept dropping him. Terrible night.

Anyway I would give at least 15-30 carbs before, depending on the BG and check frequently.

Just take notes of what you do and you'll figure out what works. I bet you'll figure it out pretty quick since you have the trampoline and it's not like going to a friend's house and using it on occasion.

Good luck!