- advertisement -

Training dog to be a diabetic alert dog?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by kinder23, Feb 27, 2012.

1. kinder23

kinder23 Approved members

Hi everybody! (if you don't know me its because i do all of my posting on the kids forums) Anyway recently i haven't been able to sense my lows anymore. anyway its kind of scary cuz i used to be able to tell if im low or not but i cant that much anymore. i wanted to train one of my dogs to be an diabetic alert dog any advice or tips? :cwds: thank you very much!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

It is possible to train your dog, I would search diabetic alert dog forums and ask questions there. Be prepared to work one on one with your dog's scent training.

To become a therapy dog, you can start with obedience training, then get good citizen dog certified. The dog must be able to sit stay and ignore other dogs when working.

Good luck!

3. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

D.A.D.s need to have a combination of qualities, personality, and behaviors in order to be effective service dogs. I would suggest that you have your dog tested by a professional trainer for some of these traits before starting anything.

You might also want to talk to a D.A.D trainer to get some information of where you need to start for training your own dog. If you want to pm me I would be more than happy to give you some names of trainers.

I'm sorry to hear about you not feeling your lows. My daughter has never been able to feel hers.

4. Courtneyjensen

Courtneyjensen Approved members

sorry if this post is old but i work with a gal that travels the states with these dogs. she is located in slc, utah. ive never found a lady so eager to help anyone. look up tattle tail dogs and just shoot her an email with any questions :)