- advertisement -

Training a new school nurse.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WillowBean, May 11, 2011.

1. WillowBean

WillowBean Approved members

I have to train the new school nurse next year. How much time to you usually spend training? I am concerned because I have a new job that takes me out of town 2-3 days a week. Did you go to school during lunch? Did you do the training or did you have a pump rep/CDE train? I am looking for some advice. I have a lot of time to work this our but it has been on my mind so I thought I would ask.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I trained all our nurses. Maybe one hour spent talking through the supply box and walking through the plans for when to correct and how much to treat with each different type of scenario. I made up a ring of index cards with prompts and left that with the nurse. Never went in for lunch. But when Maddie was k-5th I often spoke with the nurse by phone during the day.

Good luck!

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

4. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

I had our pump rep come into school and and go over the pump, then I did all the training at school and at my home with the teacher. I also stayed at school for the first 2 weeks to train the teacher. I plan to do the same this summer.