advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tragic -People-to-People Ambassador program

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ellen, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Warning this is tragic about a 16 year old - you may not want to read this. But I don't want anyone else to send their child on a P2P program without knowing about it.

My son also went on a People to People program in DC - it was awful - total waste of money, poor supervision, poor management. Beware.

People to People Faces Wrongful Death Lawsuit

2. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

I didn't read all of it. I couldn't. That is very sad, and very wrong.

3. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Un-freakin' believeable. :mad:

4. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Thank you for sharing. We need to know.

5. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

how disturbing :(

6. skimom

skimom Approved members

I cannot believe that anyone could sit by and watch this happen.Those P2P people - well I can't even express in words what I think of this. My heart goes out to his family - such a waste of a wonderful young life

7. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

That's really sad.

My friend who has type 1 went on 2 P2P trips and never had a problem.

My sister and I have travelled overseas with our church. That was very well organized. Hopefully this will force P2P to shape up.

8. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

I'm stunned. How horrible.

9. Anne

Anne Approved members

How awful and sad...shows how vulnerable our kids can be. Thanks for posting Ellen as we all need to know about negligent programs like this. We have had mailings from them but have never gone on any of their trips. Does anyone know how they get our names?
    Anne

10. Boo

Boo Approved members

A couple of years ago, I considered sending Andy on one of these to Hawaii. When I was told that he would be totally in charge of his own diabetes care, I obviously couldn't (he was 10). I'm so glad I didn't.

I do know one neighborhood girl who went on one trip (kind of mixed reviews...she liked it, her mom wasn't exactly thrilled with the adult supervision...or lack thereof).

My son's best friend is considering going on a sports ambassador trip this summer (also People to People I think). I struggled with the decision to forward this article to the mom since they all seemed very excited about the trip, but I did since I'd feel personally responsible if I knew about this, didn't tell them, and something happened. He is not T1, but does have exercise-induced asthma and would be playing soccer.

I often wondered who would have "nominated" my son for a trip like that given his age and the fact that he was T1. My neighbor and I just had the conversation the other night about who nominated her son (my husband is his soccer coach and had nothing to do with it). I guess I kind of suspected that it was just a mass mailing list. :rolleyes:

What a shame!

11. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Tragic, mind boggling loss.

They solicit through mass mailing lists...we used to get these mailings every year for my daughter and she was sooooo angry that we would not permit her to go. I have to admit I was thrilled the first time received an invitation. Then I realized there was no "nomination." I suspect these mailing lists are sold by organizations to which these kids belong (the 3 kids I know who have participated in P2P have been either Scouts or elite athletes).

I have been told that these trips are badly supervised as far as kids who WANT to stray are concerned. To learn that they are medically unsafe is very unsettling. I would love to see the program shut down and will let everyone I know who is considering P2P that they are questionable.

Becky

12. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I guess this serves as a warning to all of us to prepare our children to act on their own behalf. Sometimes adults will fail them.

I commend the parents on trying to right this wrong through legal action. This organization should be shut down!

I know that my daughter will one day go on trips out-of-state and overseas. I think that I will make a card for her to keep on her person that states something like - "I have Type 1 diabetes and am insulin-dependant. I am not feeling well and need medical assistance. Please call for an ambulance to take me to the hospital." She could just hand the card to someone if she needs help and no one is listening to her request. Of course, this needs to be in the language of the country in which she is traveling.

Best to be pro-active.

13. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

I wonder if there is some kind of letter writing or something we could do to help this family?

14. susanH

susanH Approved members

thanks for the tragic warning ellen. what a waste of a wonderful young life.

of course, their defense will be he was a non-compliant type1 diabetic...that's what i'd bet they'll use. what a load of crap.

altitude sickness will devastate any non-d person's system if not handled properly and immediately.

how can you possibly explain to that nitwit organization that a well-controlled type1 person like him is more in tune with their physical self than mere 'mortals' will EVER BE, and once they reach that level, neglecting their health and diabetes is just not even possible; they've come too far and know way too much to let that go. once you're there, once you find that level of respect for yourself and your body, it's for good.

i hope they're shut down soon.

15. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

This thing reminds me of those "Who's Who" solicitations I get all the time at work. They're nothing more than a solicitation to sell a book full of people's names. I wonder if P2P is nothing more than a travel agency.

16. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

After my son's lousy experience, we filled out the evaluation form and were explicit about all that had gone wrong, how poorly it was run, what was specifically a failure etc. When we changed his flight home and I let the office know, no one at P2P ever told my son. I had to phone him directly to make sure he was flying into Orlando to attend FFL instead of going to Ft. Lauderdale. The communication was impossible. No one ever called us back or wrote to us to acknowledge how much time my son took to outline the problems. They continued to solicit for him to attend other programs put on by People-to-People and then they solicited for my daughter as well. No one there is listening.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  17. Ali

Ali Approved members

It was not just that he had diabetes but that so many adults would not immeadiately take any child or adult vomiting blood to the hospital. Or even take any kid who said they needed to go. He was not a five year old with a scraped knee he was a young adult fully capable of saying he was ill. Plus anyone with boys knows they do not volunteer that they feel sick or are hurt unless somehting is really bad. The "help" on the plane is also outrageous. Ali

18. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

that is so sad!

19. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Reading that story made my stomach turn. I just don't understand how something like this could happen? Doesn't common sense dictate that if anyone is vomiting blood, they should receive immediate medical treatment? The part that really mystified me was that the parents were not notified about any of this, but P2P felt the need to phone them from Japan about the fact that he held his girlfriend's hand. WTF??? :confused:

20. jendean

jendean Approved members

I think that it should be a reminder to us to make sure that we talk to our childrens friends, thier peers. Because sometimes, these are the only ones we can count on.

I am so sad for that mom.
    what a disgusting organization.
    But I believe it.

sadly.