- advertisement -

totally P-O'd at the school nurse!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by valerie k, May 17, 2011.

1. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

last friday, we did matts IEP meeting. He qualifies for an IEP due to health reasons. I sat in the meeting with a friend, and basically was railroaded by the school officials. Fine, they all but called me on the carpet for educational neglect becouse of matts being behind and school absences. He not only has D, but suffers from migraines as well. I have, in the past, never sent him when he has had ketones. I wait till the ketones are gone, then bring him in late. I have also had him stay in the mornings with headaches till he is better. My bad for being a crappy mom :mad: keeping the sick child home. I was told I HAD to send him even when he has ketones, after all, they are nurses!!! who better to leave my little darlin with then nurses!!! (by the way, this is the nurse over all three schools, not Darla Im having issue with) They will know exactly what to do. I said SEVERAL times, I am NOT comfortable bringing matt in with ketone, he feels sick, he should not be in school.... So, railroading over me, they decide that matt should come in right away in the morning, and test, becouse we have had a few instences where matt has forgotten to bolus... and he becomes high. However, that doesnt lead to the ketone problem usually. This was last friday, the 13th. (I should have known)

So today, matt of cource, does not go to the office right away, so they call him down at 9;05. (school starts at 9:00) wonder of all wonders, my son s 478, so they check ketones. (for those wondering, my husband got him off to school today and forgot to test him, Bad dad...) And, KETONES of 3.9!

THEY SENT HIM OFF TO CLASS!!!!!

I get a call at 12pm, will you come and pick yp matt, he is vomiting, he must be sick.

ken goes back to get him. He comes home, and I ask him what happened, tested him and tested ketones, he is HIGH and ketones 4.9!!! I ask what happened, he told me, he was tested, sent to class, he was sick, went to the nurse, they called, we went to get him.

they never even bothered to test him or his ketones before calling us to come get him!

Heck, the never bothered to test ketones at the 20min mark like we do at home to ensure he is going down. Or even bother to just test the blood sugar to see if it was going down.

3.9 and they freakin send him off to class.... after all, they are nurses, professionals that can handle this.

Im sooooo mad :mad: thank God there is only 2 more weeks of school.

kinked canula was the culprit. He wasnt getting any insulin, hence the ketones. Problem would have been (should have been) caught at the 20-40 minute mark with that blood sugar and ketone level.

2. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

OMG and they told you that they are professionals and know how to handle it I would sooo be down there in the morning calling them on it. Who better knows how to care for their child then the parent. Completely uncalled for what they did to him, I am soo sorry. Big Hugs

3. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

I do the same

I am a public school teacher myself.

When my son wakes up high with keytones, I usually stay home an extra hour to hour and a half, until his blood sugar is going the right way. I call my own teaching job and tell them that he is sick and I am going to be late.

He usually is fine by lunch. It happened the other day - woke up at 480 - med/high keytones. I immediately changed his site, skipped breakfast and pushed fluids. He threw up two times before it was all over.

I recheck him twice - and once he was in the 300s I went ahead to school. The nurse called me before lunch and he was 170 - back to normal,

You are doing the right thing. It does take a while for keytones to totally clear, though, so if things are going in the right direction I would send him before the keytones are completly gone.

You are doing the right thing. I wouldn't leave my care up to these morons. They look after how many kids? You only have yours and you are the best caretaker!

4. Droz

Droz Approved members

We have a policy in our school district that says if your diabetic childs blood sugar is 300 or above and they have ketones a parent or someone had to pick them up immediately or they call 911!!!! This school is really not smart.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

Is the IEP already in place? Does it have diabetes accommodations in it? Does it have anything about when to call parents, etc.?

Typically the health plan is attached to the IEP or 504 and most doctors will write a health plan to state that parents are to be called (and eventually 911 if the parents are not reachable) if the child's BG is over "x" and large ketones, etc.

Is something like this in your health plan?

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Ok, the school didn't behave admirably, but his bg was obviously crazy high upon arrival so honestly, I think you bear some of the responsibility for how ill he became. I know that's not what you want to hear, but I just don't think that it's quite fair to rage against the school for how this played out.

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

There needs to be clear and precise instructions for this nurse in your son's care plan. If his blood sugar is X and ketones are Y, call home to get further instructions. The school should NOT think that anyone there can handle ketones or blood sugars that are that high. And if she does not have a clear idea of what to look for, ie: kinked hose or canula, problem with pump, etc. Then she needs to go to a pump class or something to get educated about what to look for and what to do about the ketones to get them to start coming down. She sounds like an ignorant fool for saying that he should be coming to school with ketones when she doesnt have a clue of what to do for them or how severely they can affect your son .I hope he's ok today and feeling alot better:(

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Is there any protocol on when the school is suppose to call? 3.9 ketones are huge.. It all would have been caught if he was tested in the am, but since he wasn't the school should have caught it asap.. Since WHEN does the school get to decide this stuff? I'd get a phone call into your endo asap. The school CAN NOT insist that he be in school with ketones, especiall high ketones like that, those are ER level ketones and the school had no idea. If I woke up in the am and my child had 3.9 ketones and high bg, she wouldn't have gone to school either until I saw them coming down. The school does NOT get to decide that kind of stuff. Contact your end and have him write a letter staying when you need to be calling regarding bgs and ketones, and at what level of ketones are OK to be in school and what level he needs to be home. We have it set at 1.0, that if her ketones are above that they need to call, because they are NEVER above that unless there is an issue.

9. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

We have something similar here, can't remember the cut off. There's a scale we use that if he's xyz, the school does xyz. It has to be clear and it's been streamlined to fit on one page.
    My son has missed 14 days of school this year, but 2 of them were travel for a neurologist appointment. they are more in the camp that they don't want to deal with crazy blood sugar days since there is only one nurse in the district.

10. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

It is. It is in his 504. the IEP states to look at the 504 for the diabetic needs of my son.

yes, yesterday, we blew it as well. My husband should have tested him. Matt wasnt hungry and wouldnt eat. He isnt used to getting matt off to school and isnt in a set schedual like I. The rage, is the fact I kept telling that nurse-the same nurse who was there yesterday not our spot on darla, that blew the whole thing. She didnt follow the 504. We were not called at the blood sugar above 300, and we were not called about the very high ketones. All this, after she kept telling me, who better to leave my son with. Professional nurses! Thats really not my biggest peave here. Its the fact, THEY SENT HIM INTO THE CLASS ROOM!!! and they NEVER bothered to retest him for 3 hours! After listening to me say several times, I am not comfortable with this, ketones are dangerious to matt. That didnt matter, and look at what they did. thats my rant.

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

Really? 911 would be called all the time. 300's are not that rare.

12. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Your school is wrong to expect him to be in class with numbers and ketones like that. I agree that a letter from your endo and some modifications to the 504 are necessary.

You might consider having the school call you with every check so this doesn't happen again, or have your son carry a cell and text you his numbers so you are in the loop. It might work better than assuming all is well because the school hasn't called.

I keep my DD at home when she has ketones. Fortunately, she doesn't seem to get them that often, but it takes an aggressive amount of insulin to treat them, and in my opinion, it requires careful one on one monitoring. She feels so bad with ketones that she wouldn't be learning anything anyway.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  13. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I think it's probably good to have very clear directions and a very clear procedure for addressing when the directions are not followed.

My two cents on being called on the carpet for truancy -- this is one of my bugs, I have friends who are harassed in similar ways and I remember when I was teaching how amazed I was that teachers and administrators and counselors felt they had the right to "dress down" a parent for parental choices. Amazes me to this day.

In your shoes, with what I have learned, I would probably adopt a nod and smile approach. No point in arguing. Tutor your kid at home to make sure he is well educated and will test at least at his grade level if not higher. Then do what you feel you need to do. Document, document, document. Foster a good relationship with the teachers.

I don't know about your state, but in ours truancy goes to the district attorney. I don't know how much discretion they have, but if you have documented that school mismanagement nearly sent him into DKA (sure, you should have checked, I guess (is it common practice to always check before drop off at school?) but if he were at home you would have caught this, at school they didn't, and they insisted he be at school, bottom line) and if your kid is excelling in academics I would think any reasonable district attorney would look at the record and tell the school to clean up their act before making any complaints against parents. I also understand that in our state what the DA does is bring truancy to a judge who tells you to bring your kids to school, it's not a CPS issue. Schools act as if they can tell you what to do in these instances but IMO find out exactly what power the truancy officers, etc. at the school have and don't give them one iota more than that. Just because they tell you to do something doesn't mean you have to. You're the mom.

14. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Daniel's been fighting 300s at least once a day for more than a week due to a cough and ear infection (just finished antibiotics)!! He would have missed all week with that policy--and I think the emergency responders would be a little peeved!!:eek:

15. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I'd also add that if he is falling behind academically, you should address that. Get the school to help with homebound programs, tutors, etc. (Our district will send work and tutors and computer ed to kids who have to be out periodically for illness).

The point of education is not a butt in a desk chair a designated number of hours a week. The point is learning. If your kid is learning, it shouldn't matter to the school what the state of his seat is. If your kid is not learning, it shouldn't matter to you what the school thinks regarding attendance, you need to focus on getting him educated in the way you feel is safe and respectful of his pain.

16. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I agree - call your endo and tell them what happened. Have them send over new orders (even if they are the same) that specifically address the things you want followed. Our school tests for ketones anytime he is over 240 per the doctors orders. My son rarely has ketones but they still make him check -- everytime because that is what the doctor says. If the nurse isn't following the doctor's orders, her nursing license is at stake as well.

17. momoffour

momoffour Approved members

this I find interesting (by the way my first post) my son was diagnosed in December of 2010. I just had a meeting with the school and they informed me he is in danger of failing because of the time he missed and the amount of time he goes to the nurse and takes bathroom breaks :((he is in 1st grade). Now I wonder if there is something I can do to prevent this from happening :confused:

18. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Im mad at that stupid nurse just reading this. You know sometimes I think people do things just to spite someone else. She obviously didn't think you knew what you were talking about and played by her own rules :mad: Im usually not a big complainer but I would take this as high up as you can. This is your child's life and yes tho ketones can be taken care of, things can go from bad to worse quickly. Im new to all of this still but reading things like this upsets me because this could be my daughter in a few years. What an IDOT! Im sorry you are having to deal with this. I also think many people don't understand what Diabetes is. One IDOT that my husbands works with said "Dan, did ya give Diabetes to Amy?" when my daughter was Dx... I asked my husband "what does he think Diabetes is a STD???" I wish more understood what T1D actually is and the risks that Diabetics face. I hope nothing like this will ever happen to your child again. Im sorry your child had to suffer because of someones ignorance!!! Also I don't think this is your fault. Hope that nurse gets caned!

19. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

She said with ketones and if the parents didn't come to pick up their child...

20. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I was having some of the same thoughts Sarah was having until I read this post. Now that you have explained what happened in more detail I get it. Your Hubby messed up by not testing him before taking him to school, we have all made mistakes. I hope he doesn't beat himself up too much.

That mistake however does not does excuse in any way the nurse sending your child to class with a high blood sugar and much more importantly VERY high ketones. To top it off... No phone call? :eek: That is unacceptable.

They KNEW the situation.