- advertisement -

Tornado!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mama2H, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Now I know we are not prepared for an emergency. The sirens went off in town for the first time since we bought our home in 1999 :eek: We have had tons of warnings but nothing scary enough for the tornado sirens. I had packed an emergency kit a couple weeks ago after reading a thread on here and grabbed Hailey's D bag but I didn't think about things like water, canned food, snacks, etc... I think I am going to pick up a big tupperware box for the basement room. The tornado touched down about 7 miles from our house and then went right back up but I guess they were thinking that the rotation was big enough that they thought it was going to drop back down right over town :eek: It was funny, in a strange way, to see us running to the basement and Mackenzie stops in her tracks and says "I have to get my hamster" LOL we grabbed the pets and sat around the girls room for about 30 minutes before the sirens turned off. Of coarse I had to keep going upstairs and look outside :eek:

I am just thankful that nothing happened and we all panicked for nothing :D

2. Nova

Nova Approved members

How scary! I am glad nothing bad happened!!!!! Tornados really freak me out.

3. jendean

jendean Approved members

I hope all is clear. I heard about the warnings, and it is looking tornadoey here too.
    Glad you are all safe, and that one did not hit...
    I think we are prepared alright.

4. chocoholicsc

chocoholicsc Approved members

Oh how scary!! I am so glad you guys are ok!!!:)
    I love that your daughter remembered the hamster!:D

5. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Oh wow!!! Mackenzie is too cute!

6. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

I'm glad all was o.k. It is a good idea to be prepared.

7. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

OH geez! Im glad you are ok. And since your are. You know better than to go anywhere look out ANY window. ShAME! In my mommy voice.. dont do that again. Your family needs you and not a tornado to take you away! Ok Im done. So.. it looked pretty neat outside huh? I do that too :rolleyes: The weather is fascinating when it looks like a hurricane outside and you are no where near an ocean. :D

8. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

LOL Tracie! For sure the colors were really cool. Plus the rain was literally blowing completely parallel to the ground for about 10 minutes :eek:

9. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I am so glad you are all safe!:)

10. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

Yowsa ... glad to hear all is well. Please tell me that you didn't make your girls huddle under a folding ping pong table while in the basement. We still mock my mother for having us do this during the tornado that hit 4 blocks from us in the 80s. Had we been hit we would have been the meat and lettuce in a ping-pong-table taco shell.:eek:

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

There is breaking news on CNN tonight that a tornado hit a boy scout camp in Iowa with several dead and injured.:(

I was wondering if that one was near you - very, very scary indeed! I'm glad you are o.k. We went through a day last week with lots of possible "rotation" and tornado warnings around our area - 2 actual touch downs. We also spent some time in the basement.

12. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

I was watching the news and thinking of you guys Nicole. Lanae had one about 4 miles from their town as well. Our tornado warning came later around 8 and I felt we were unprepared as well.
    I was counting on the fact that all I had to grab was insulin because all of our extra Diabetes supplies are downstairs already...but when we went to grab flashlights, etc, of course they weren't where they were supposed to be because the kids had played with them!!:mad: Andrew had moved the battery powered radio!!:mad:
    I think we are going to go the tupperware container route as well and NOBODY touches it!!!

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

Boy - I am so glad that I live in New England now! I hate tornados! I am glad that you guys are ok and that all of you held it together so well!

14. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

WOw, how scary!! So glad that you are OK! I heard about the boy scout camp, at least 4 people are dead:( they said that the scouts were 'trapped' by the tornado.. they had warning, but no where to go..

glad that you are all OK!

15. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

I was thinking of all you guy this evening when I heard about the tornados in your area. So glad you guys are safe and everyone around yous.

We too had tornados last week Wednesday night 17 miles from our home, and Friday night 5 miles from our home. Scary.

This evening we have tornado warnings out til 3 am. The weather in Nebraska & Iowa has been horrible.

Once again, I am so glad you guys are safe.

16. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

From the Mom of a scouter, I am just SICK about this. My goodness, they were reporting deaths on the news before any parents could have possibly been notified. I kept thinking about how I would have felt had my son been there and if I had found out on the NEWS for heavens sake!! My heart really goes out to these parents.
    Kudos to Siouxland Area Community Blood Bank and great response of the folks lined up for the emergency blood drive for the scouts.
    Sorry Nicole...didn't mean to hijack the thread!!

17. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

The loss at the boy scout camp is going to be a hard one to get through :( My sister works at a hospital in the city and they started flying boys in a short while after I posted this thread :( My sister said these boys are extremely traumatized :( There are a lot of injuries and my sister said that some of the boys witnessed the deaths (from what she was told in the ER as they came in)

Shame on the news for announceing the deaths before families were even aware that the camp had been hit :mad:

18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Glad everyone is safe.

I just read about the camp. How tragic. That has got to be a parents worst fear.

19. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Im glad you are all ok...how scary!! I think its adorable she wanted to get her hamster,
    bless her heart!

20. bonhamx4

bonhamx4 Approved members

I am glad to hear that you guys are ok! I teach disaster prepardness and a tip I can pass along is to have a backpack or large daypack handy around the house where you keep your supplies. We keep our supplies in the hallway closet and have a daypack there for quick packing. Also think about having something near your pantry. If you have to get out in a hurry grab some canned goods, and water, throw in a pack and go. Tuperware containers are ok, but I feel they have too many downsides, The can be bulky, when you pack them full they can be VERY heavy, if you have to walk instead of driving a tuperware container is going to be heavy and usally left behind. We keep a turperware container in our van with some small supplies but it stays in the van always. Our daypack in the closet is about med sized so either our daughter(9) or son(4) can carry it with about 7 days of supplies. Yes I said 7 days worth of supplies. Recent events have taught us that even though the goverment has said they will be there for you in 3 days, 7 is more acurate the number. And remember WE are responsible for OUR family!! In other words, BE PREPARED!! Once again I am glad your family is safe.