- advertisement -

Took my daughter to college, SOB!

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by obtainedmist, Sep 1, 2011.

1. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Feeling a combination of missing her and worrying about her on a 4 day backpacking orientation trip. Her roommate seems sweet and I'm hoping they'll do well together. I was close to her before, the dx brought us closer and has added a different dimension to her being gone. I'm back home and busy with work and the guys (son is living at home going to school locally)...but I really do miss my girl!:( I know that she's totally competent to deal with D by now and has been independent on that front for around 6 months (I just order her supplies.) I know that I just need to get a few months of this under my belt to let go of a large part of the worry...though I know I'll always have some anxiety floating around just because I'm a mom!;)

Had an anxiety dream this morning about being my daughter, not being able to find my classroom (classic:rolleyes:), having a verbally abusive professor and leaving my book and test kit in the classroom only to return to find the ping missing from the kit. I don't need anyone to analyze that one!!

2. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

Oh it is so hard being a mom sometimes! My oldest, Kelly (23), just moved out a month ago and I sure miss her too! It will get easier! Sending you a ((hug)))!

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

I can't imagine how stressful that is. That is an awesome time of life for her though and you have prepared her well so hang in there.

When I read "SOB" in the title I thought you were using it as an acronym - LOL!:p

4. obtainedmist

Thanks Kristen and Carol! I got weepy at the dentist for heaven's sake when I talked about it!! That's funny about the SOB :D:D

5. joan

joan Approved members

I can totally relate. Since my son has had d for over 16 years and we just dropped him off at college I am worried. I know he knows what to do but sometimes I don't think he realizes the seriousness of the situation. I will definitely miss him.

6. obtainedmist

I just got off the phone with her and all went well with her strenuous backpack. She lowered her basal to 50%, snacked constantly while hiking and under bolused for each meal...and it worked just great! She told me a harrowing story about her pump clip/pump coming off her shorts and falling off while she was scaling a steep boulder field on her hands and knees (with a backpack on :eek:). Fortunately the infusion set held...otherwise she would be climbing down around 700 feet to retrieve a very battered pump! I could do without that image in my mind!

Still miss my girl, but feeling much better now!!:)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Glad to hear that it went well! :)

8. obtainedmist

Thanks Emma, and best of luck to you with your university experience!

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Thanks! :) I don't go until October 2nd, so I have a little time left to prepare. Lots of shopping and reading to do - it's scary but pretty exciting.

10. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Happy to hear everything went well. The whole college transition is so difficult.... on us moms and dads. I can relate also. :cwds::cwds:

11. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

When my oldest went off to college in NYC, I cried happy and sad tears for the entire 5 1/2 hour trip home. I'm not sure I'll do throwing D into the mix when Ab goes.

12. obtainedmist

Well, it's been around 2 weeks now and I haven't heard from her since Friday...which seems like a good sign. I'd love to talk to her 3 times a day, but I know that's not healthy!;) I see that she's adding new friends on FB (we are friends :)) and I'm thrilled to see that she and her roommate are really getting along and doing things together--including meeting new people! She loves her classes so far and the D stuff seems to be just an added "hassle", not an impediment to anything. Bob and I will be flying out there the end of the month for Parent's Weekend and then we'll travel up the Maine Coast to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. I'm excited to give her a hug again and do some exploring on our own.

13. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

How are you doing 1 month later?